Birth Stories
Options

2nd time mom, med-free birth

greenmama2013greenmama2013 member
edited January 2014 in Birth Stories

Hi all,

I figured I'd share my story as so many others have! This was my second birth, I wanted to go natural with my first but had virtually no support system the first time around--my husband was a nervous wreck and actually vomited while I was in labor! Ugh. Anyway, I decided to do things properly this time around, because the first time I just was just so disappointed with the entire experience and epidural! I immediately found a midwife, and she was so supportive of my wishes. She was super-confident that I could do it and she actually made me excited (as opposed to terrified) for the big day.

I was living in AZ at the time, and I feel like the calmness and serenity of that area really helped keep me zen during my last few weeks of pregnancy. With my prior birth I was in my home state of NJ, and, well, we all know how that area is! I hiked a lot throughout my pregnancy, and keeping fit made me feel like my body was strong enough to handle labor. My first contractions started exactly a week before I gave birth--I woke up in the middle of the night with contractions. They weren't super painful, but they lasted a few hours and were between 8-10 minutes apart. I knew that I was 2 cm dilated, and during my next check-up 2 days later, I was at 4 cm. So those contractions did some work! I didn't feel the need to call my midwife because they were so sporadic, and the hospital was an hour away, so I didn't want to just go for nothing. I knew I should just wait it out until they became more regular.

I went for a good hike the day before I gave birth the following week. That must have started something because I woke up that morning feeling "off", and had slight cramps--it felt like I was about to get my period. They weren't strong contractions, but something told me to go to the hospital, so we left at 9:30 AM. Some people say "oh, you'll KNOW when you're in labor"..I definitely didn't! Thank God I left when I did because upon arriving at the hospital an hour later I was 6 cm dilated! I felt pressure when I stood up, but it wasn't anything too bad. My water still had not broken, and I believe that cushioned my contractions. The pain I experienced was back labor..so I immediately jumped onto the birthing ball (which REALLY helps during back labor!) and just moved with my contractions. I held my towel (my concentration/comfort object) and focused on the feel of it during contractions. I dilated very quickly..because before I knew it I was at 8 cm!

My midwife was surprised that I was handling it so well because for most people transition seems to be the breaking point..but honestly I was never in a LOT of pain. Contractions felt like they didn't last long, and while painful, it didn't feel any worse than bad period cramps. I told her I was ready to have my water broken, and after that I was at 10 cm very quickly and ready to push around 12:45 PM. In my experience, I felt lots of pressure, but I didn't feel the urge to push that many people experience. Upon getting off of my birthing ball to give birth on the bed, I immediately felt a lot more pain. The baby (being sunny-side up) was putting pressure on my spine and that was the cause for the increase in pain laying on my back. I should have asked to give birth squatting or in a different position, but at that point I couldn't see myself moving again.

I had given my husband (who was much more prepared this time) the role of coach. I got him excited for the birth by relating it to something he loves--football and coaching. I told him to pretend that he was my coach and we had to win this game, and he did! He was awesome! Pushing for me was the most painful, mostly because I was on my back and that's where all the pressure was. It only lasted a half hour though, so it wasn't awful. I never felt that "ring of fire" that many people talk about, either. When you're pushing you're just so in the moment that you don't really realize the pain as much as your mission to get the baby out! The adrenaline pumping definitely makes it exciting and..oddly enough, I found the entire experience fun! Like an awesome test for my body that results in a beautiful new baby! I was so calm throughout my labor and it made it much more enjoyable. 

My son Brody Alexander was born at 1:13 PM on November 18, 2013 weighing exactly 7 lbs. I was 39 weeks, 4 days. He's a beautiful healthy, very alert little boy. (All of the nurses commented on how alert he was..looking all around wide-eyed!) I'm so happy to have gone the natural route this time around. I was able to walk right after and jumped right into the shower. I joked with my husband recently that I wanted to do it again! I just don't want to go through another 9 months of pregnancy haha. For all of you that are unsure of your ability to handle it, I'm telling you, you CAN! Just trust your body and put yourself in a peaceful place mentally. Have someone there that will support you and rub your back when needed. Everyone experiences labor differently, but I figured I'd share my story and inspire someone debating on giving birth naturally. My mother did it, my aunts did it, so I knew that I could do it as well! Wishing everyone enjoyable, peaceful births & happy, healthy babies!

Pregnancy Ticker
bro.jpg 52.3K

Re: 2nd time mom, med-free birth

• Options
    Beautiful story, Congratulations Mama!

If I may ask one question, how much of a difference do you think it made in terms of the intensity of the contractions before your water broke and after?  With both of mine, my MWs broke the bag right before crowning and I always wonder how much of a difference it makes laboring with the bag intact.  We plan to have one more, that's why I'm asking :)
  • Options
    With my first my water broke at the beginning of labor. It definitely made contractions come fast and get strong quickly, but I'd say on a scale from one to ten, ten being the most painful you can imagine, with the bag intact the pain was a 5 and it probably went to a 7 during contractions once broken. I don't remember ever being in excruciating pain, though..it all seemed pretty tolerable. Now that I'm really thinking about it, it wasn't so much that the pain intensified, it was the pressure that really intensified once that bag broke. So my recommendation is labor as long as you can with the bag intact! Good luck with your third!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    With my first my water broke at the beginning of labor. It definitely made contractions come fast and get strong quickly, but I'd say on a scale from one to ten, ten being the most painful you can imagine, with the bag intact the pain was a 5 and it probably went to a 7 during contractions once broken. I don't remember ever being in excruciating pain, though..it all seemed pretty tolerable. Now that I'm really thinking about it, it wasn't so much that the pain intensified, it was the pressure that really intensified once that bag broke. So my recommendation is labor as long as you can with the bag intact! Good luck with your third!
    That's a good description thank you!  

Congratulations again on your handsome little guy!   
  • Options
    Congratulations :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"