Breastfeeding
Options

~*~*MSPI Moms Weekly Check-In*~*~ 1/6

~*~*MSPI Moms Weekly Check-In*~*~

Welcome! This is a check-in for moms who are/were on a dairy free and/or soy free diet due to their LO's intolerance. The check-ins will be posted every Monday morning on the Breastfeeding board and XP'd to the Food Allergy board. If you'd like to join the group, just post an intro here and dive in! To check out the archive of our previous check-ins, please see the MSPI Moms Blog (www.mspimoms.blogspot.com).

1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing?

2. What's your current go-to snack? How about dinner?

3. Any other burning questions you'd like answered or experiences to share?

Re: ~*~*MSPI Moms Weekly Check-In*~*~ 1/6

• Options
    1. We are both doing really well! We're back on track after all that traveling and then working through a 3 month growth spurt! LO has been feeling really good and we're not noticing any blood in his diaper! Yay!

2. Snacks are whatever we have in the house... Peanut butter and crackers or apples, hummus, chips and salsa or guacamole, that sort of thing. Dinners have been pretty diverse. Yesterday we made a vegetable soup. Last week we made an amazing barbacoa beef in the crock pot! It was a chipotle copycat recipe and it was delicious!

3. No other questions or relevant comments that I can think of. I hope everyone is doing well!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @JarynA Glad to hear your LO is doing well. :) Also, I want that barbacoa beef recipe!
    1. We're doing well. I upped his zyrtec dose and changed brands this weekend. If his face stays rashy this week I will probably call the allergist to talk to her about it.
    2. Snacks: Avocado, beans, and tortilla chips; hummus and carrots; apple slices and almonds; wheat-free toast with sunflower seed butter (sometimes topped with Enjoy Life chocolate chips). Dinner: roasted chicken and veggies; quinoa/corn pasta with ground turkey/tomato sauce or pureed squash (to sneak more veggies into DS); various quinoa or brown rice pilafs; homemade lentil or split pea soup (I make my own chicken stock in the crockpot with all those roasted chicken carcasses).
    3. After a year and a half on this diet, DH still manages to bug me sometimes. Yesterday he brought home greasy fries and a cheeseburger and Krispy Kreme donuts. Obviously not healthy anyway, but it smelled so delicious and I couldn't even have a bite! So annoying. I asked him next time to please just eat that kind of stuff while he's out, not to bring it home! Geez.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh, I meant to mention that I cook my own beans in the crock pot too. This week we are enjoying some yummy pinto beans that are good for you and MSPI-friendly. I cook a lot of black beans and chickpeas too, and make my own humus and bean dip.
  • Options
    https://ladywiththeredrocker.com/2011/10/31/chipotles-barbacoa-beef-recipe/

@rocknrollfriend here you go! It was super easy and delicious! I highly recommend it!

DH bringing home a bunch of food I couldn't eat would be no bueno. It's hard enough watching him eat stuff that I can't when we are out or with friends... to his credit, though, he often eats dairy free with me in solidarity, even though he doesn't have to. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing? I'm still uncomfortable from my UTI. The urologist told me that since I can't take pyridium while bfing I may feel bad from residual inflammation for a few weeks.
    DS was fine until I went back to work today after being off for two weeks. At least that is what I'm hoping it is from. Now he's a cranky mess.

2. What's your current go-to snack? Pumpkin bread and sahale snacks pomegranate vanilla bean cashews.
    How about dinner? Baked potatoes with earth balance, frozen veggies, and grilled chicken.

3. Any other burning questions you'd like answered or experiences to share? We are trying dairy with DS again. Last time we tried when he was 18 months it went badly, but so far so good now that he is 2. He ate baked in dairy for a few days, then he had melted cheese yesterday. No blood in his poop so far. He was acting fine until a couple of hours ago. I'm hoping it is not from the dairy!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    @rocknrollfriend That is really annoying that he brought that food in the house. My DH tries to just eat things that I don't mind missing. However he does sometimes slip up!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing?  

Great!  Still doing well going dairy free. LO also started Zantac and it has helped with the amount of spit up tremendously!  Guess he just had too much stomach acid.  After 4 months of painful gas, spit up, diarrhea, rashes, etc. I feel like we're finally working out all the bugs and LO seems so much happier.

2. What's your current go-to snack? How about dinner?  

I don't really snack.  Maybe oatmeal when I'm hungry between meals?  My go-to dinners are all the same.  Baked (or cooked in the crock pot) pot roast/chicken/pork with vegetables.  Exciting, right?  I mix it up by making chili with the left over meat :) Then I get even more exciting by eating last night's dinner for lunch!  Food is so not eventful at this point in my life.  But on the plus side I'm back to my PP weight.

3. Any other burning questions you'd like answered or experiences to share?  Did any of your LO's outgrow their MPI (LO is OK with soy)?  My mom said my siblings and I did around age 2.  Just curious what others' experiences have been like.

• Options
    Sorry, I should have posted on this thread, but didn't know it existed until someone on my BMB tipped me off. How awesome!!!

Here's the thread I started:
    https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12219893/dairy-soy-free#latest

I'm Whitney, 28 from PA. DS is my first baby and just turned 3 months old.

To add to my thread. He had NO Sx of MSPI prior to being sick (obviously no idea if he does now since he hasn't had BM yet, hence my frustration with the automatic "1 year" mandate).

Also, I have 1000 oz of non-dairy/soy free milk in my freezer. THATS what's killing me. So much hard work. IF he is indeed MSPI and/or IF the Drs insist on no dairy/soy introduction x 1 year, should I just donate? Ahhh....I'm gonna cry!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

@brideinsummer04 My DS had a hard time the night after we got home from Christmas vacation. He was with me for 6 days straight and had his schedule screwed up from traveling. That night he was up for 3 hours in the MOTN. :( Your DS's crankiness could very well be from missing mama! I hope it's not from the dairy. Keep us posted!

@Carnation77 Most LOs outgrow MPI around 1 yo, some not until 18 mo or 2 yo. My DS outgrew it around 15 mo, but is still sensitive to soy (as far as I know, I haven't tried it in a couple of months).

@atcwag Welcome! All of these check-in posts are archived on our blog, mspimoms.blogspot.com, and this is a great resource for recipes, information sources, experience, etc. You need to be dairy and soy free for at least 3-5 weeks before reintroducing it to your diet. It can take that long for the proteins to exit your and LOs systems and for symptoms (if he ends up having any) to subside. Then you can reintro and look for symptoms. Many of us have experienced slip-ups when starting the diet, which can stretch it out a little longer - start your 3-5 week count once you're sure you've eliminated all dairy and soy from your diet. Both these foods can be hidden in ingredients commonly found in processed foods. Here is a good list for dairy: https://web.mit.edu/kevles/www/nomilk.html

and one for soy:https://www.eatingwithfoodallergies.com/soyallergy.html

I do hope he is not MSPI and you can keep the frozen BM (I would cry too). GL and HTH!

@AFwifelife No you're not alone, I am a total control freak too. I bring our own food everywhere we go, even if the host offers to make food we can eat. Once we get there I quiz them on all the ingredients that went into whatever food they made and ask to check labels if they still have them. I have had to turn down some very generously made special foods that ended up not being dairy or soy-free, and it sucks. Makes me a high maintenance guest, and I hate disappointing people, but I have to do it. For folks that I visit often (mom, sis, MIL) I have shared the hidden ingredients lists with them and they usually do a pretty good job now. I still quiz them though. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"