May 2014 Moms

I need to let out a sad vent, maybe for BTDT Mamas or just special needs Mamas

2»

Re: I need to let out a sad vent, maybe for BTDT Mamas or just special needs Mamas

• Sometimes, this parenting thing is just so much harder than we think it is going to be. Before speech therapy with my oldest son, I watched him struggle with himself every single day. It is heartbreaking. Many hugs to you.....you are a fantastic mom, so please don't feel like anything less :)
  • No experience but I just wanted to say I think you do an amazing job from what I've read here. Sorry you had a bad day :(

imageimageimage
    H e n r y  May 21, 2014

• Loading the player...
  • I am a speech pathologist, and I work with many children with Autism. They are all different severities with their social skills and language. I just want to give you a big hug, because I see the challenges you face every day. I hope you're part of a support group with other parents, because it is truly nice to know you're not alone with these challenges. For many of my families it does get easier as their child gets older, their language skills and social skills increase and they are better able to navigate their environment. I can see how movies are pretty choatic for our guys, especially if there is a lot of other activity. Have your tried social stories for these type of activities? I would not worry too much about your next one having Autism, she is a girl and I have yet to have a family with two children win Autism.
  • hugs to you.  vent all you want <3  you are strong and asher is loved, but there are bound to be days when life stings a little harder. 

you got this!
  • Hugs! I have super hard days with my well behaved toddler. 2/3 is hard no matter what special needs, throw those in and anything is challenging.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • More (((hugs)))

It's clear that you are an amazing Mother and love yoUr sweet boy do very much. i hope that you have a strong support system around you through family, friends or a support group. I also hope you get some time to yourself to take care of you and recharge.

little chkn born 06/30/11

baby chkn born 04/22/14

05/13 image 07/13

• As a former autism teacher and now a full time Speech Language grad student who works with people with autism everyday, let me just tell you this- you are amazing. I'm sure you know this, but just be reaffirmed. You know your son is special, and he is. But sometimes it is hard knowing that not everyone else will know what an exceptional human being he is. Do you have a support group of moms with like children? I keep up with the mothers of former students and we will all go have dinner or watch a movie together from time to time. I know it is helpful to them to be able to have a social group that understands and accepts their children just as they are. What about respit care? Please utilize that. It is available to you. Is Asher using social stories prior to big group outings? Assuming he is young, video social stories are a tremendous tool.

Kiddos on the spectrum are so amazing and so sharply brilliant and hilarious in their own to-the-point black-and-white way.

Don't ever let anyone judge how you handle your journey.

:)
  • I grew up as the older sister of a brother with autism. It was definitely not an easy task. I remember having to leave a lot of fun things, like the movies, or a fair, or a restaurant because he was acting out. But I am actually grateful for the experience. As time went on he learned better control and is now 18 years old. He is graduating high school this year and has a job! I don't think my parents ever thought that would be possible. My brother was an easy child but I couldn't love him more. I am grateful that he is my brother. I am much more understanding of others and patient from growing up with him. I strongly believe my brother made me a better person. I watched my parents struggle as they raised my brother and I have an overwhelming respect for both of them. When I turned 15 I started volunteering working with special needs children and to this day I still work with them. I am sorry that things are so hard but in time things will get better. Your family is in my prayers.

• I have no advice for you, just wanted to send some big virtual hugs to you.  Being a parent is hard, it's even that much harder for you and it's ok to be frustrated and sad sometimes, it doesn't mean you love him any less.

• I only just opened this thread. Simply want to say its clear to see how much you love Asher and it sounds like you are doing an incredible job. ♥♥♥
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"