3rd Trimester

Circumcision? I am having a baby boy.

This is my first pregnancy. Any one know the pro and cons of circumcision? Any advice ? Thanks !

Re: Circumcision? I am having a baby boy.

• http://www.webmd.com/sexual-conditions/guide/circumcision

Realistically, it is a personal preference. You should talk to your OB and your Pedi about circumcision and the risks/rewards. There is no inherent risk or benefit so drastic or rewarding to cause the AMA to take a definitive stance on whether a circ is medically necessary, and so it is largely left up to the parents own discretion.

“Some people live more in 20 years than others do in 80. It’s not the time that matters, it’s the person.”
    — The Doctor, Season 3, Episode 6

Dating Since: 2/13/05 * Married Since: 9/8/12 

savannah_girlsschwegeAdrd47
  • There's a search function on the boards. 

Food Blog

DS1: BFP: 4/4/2011 | EDD: 12/2/2011 | Born 11/21/2011
    DS2: BFP: 2/23/13 | EDD: 10/26/13 | We said goodbye: 6/2/13 (19w1d) due to pPROM

PrimRoseMamablush64
  • Penis Crusaders!!! :D

FWIW I planned on circumcision but never ended up getting it done for DS. No grand philosophical reason. Just didn't seem terribly important.

There are those that circumcise as part of their faith. It's important to them. I say more power to them.
    Lilypie - (uZTn)Lilypie - (NNJ6)
    July 2013 BMB Siggy Challenge
    NTNP Since August 2014
    TTC for #3 in January 2016!

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

nofcksgiven
  • Do some research and read from real sources (no blogs). Make your own educated decision.
    • Adopted DS #1- '05 
    • Adopted DS #2- '07
    • DS born August 1, 2011
    • DD born August 27, 2013

[Deleted User]WhitterpowRachelCA29
  • Its all personal preference. I got my son circumcised and will do so with all my sons if I have more boys.
    pigtails1031777
  • You are going to get a lot of replies. Let me break them down for you.

Con: It is genital multilation, he can do it if needed when older, there could be complications, potential pain, no increase risk of STDs, the foreskin serves a purpose.

Pros: It is a Faith/Family/Culture tradition, it is cleaner, decreases risk of STDs, so he look likes dad/other boys.

The AAP says that there are both risks and benefits and says either decision is fine.

Nicb13alysiafaxoncolllydon
  • Thank you everyone so much! These are great info
  • Psychology Today has a great series of articles (with research citations) on the many myths about circumcision, most of which are touted as facts by many people on this board, so this can be a heated topic. :) You can find the article series online by Googling.
    Lilypie - (BKXw)

WashingtonQueenblush64
  • MosyMama said:
    Psychology Today has a great series of articles (with research citations) on the many myths about circumcision, most of which are touted as facts by many people on this board, so this can be a heated topic. :) You can find the article series online by Googling.
    @MosyMama, I love you!
    • Adopted DS #1- '05 
    • Adopted DS #2- '07
    • DS born August 1, 2011

• MosyMamaMosyMama
    2500 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    @jess9802

The key piece of info about those articles is that they all include citations so you can reference the research and studies that support the statements made in the articles. It's not at all about the credibility of the author, but about gathering actual facts to make an informed decision.
    Lilypie - (BKXw)

WashingtonQueen
  • @jess9802

I'm not saying that the articles should convince anyone of anything based on their content alone. Yes, anyone can cite anything. But as a layperson, I appreciate the ability to refer to studies on a particular issue and decide for myself how much stock I put into the research findings instead of taking an author's (or random forum user's) word for it, or assuming that a widely held belief is true without trying to find scientific data supporting or disproving it.

The studies cited in the articles provide information that I deem more worthy of consideration than most of the subjective, erroneous nonsense about circumcision that I see on this board, so I was simply throwing that out there for the OP. YMMV, but just because I am not a scientist or researcher doesn't mean that I'm going to ignore information of that nature.
    Lilypie - (BKXw)

WashingtonQueen
  • Cutting to the chase, I respectfully disagree. There is no medical reason to circ (in most cases), and no significant danger in doing so (again in most cases), but since circumcision has been "the norm" for many people in the U.S. and the myths in the articles have been established as truths (as evidenced in all of the threads on this topic), I think these articles raise important points, but they're not exactly going out on a limb with their assertions. (Uncirc'd penises are just as clean and STD-free as circ'd penises with proper hygiene and safe sex practices?! Shocking!)

Lilypie - (BKXw)

WashingtonQueenlissydee
  • jess9802 said:
    Sorry, but I disagree that using inflammatory rhetoric and bad or biased research is a legitimate means of educating the general public. That circumcision has been the cultural norm hardly justifies that tactic.

I honestly have no beef with whatever parents decide to do. I am, however, disturbed at the propaganda that gets thrown out by those FOR circumcision, and find it disingenuous that they would twist, distort, obscure, or lie about the actual science in order to convince people of the merits of their argument. I think the AAP position on circumcision is perfectly appropriate: the benefits outweigh the risks, but not to such a degree as to recommend universal circumcision. Parents get to make the decision in light of their ethical, religious, and cultural beliefs.
    the final decision should still be left to parents to make in the context of their religious, ethical and cultural beliefs. - See more at: http://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-aap/aap-press-room/pages/Newborn-Male-Circumcision.aspx#sthash.AAiojO6Q.dpuf
    the final decision should still be left to parents to make in the context of their religious, ethical and cultural beliefs. - See more at: http://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-aap/aap-press-room/pages/Newborn-Male-Circumcision.aspx#sthash.AAiojO6Q.dpuf

I am LMAO over here. I fixed it for you, BTW. I see all of the bolded in the "for circumcision" posts more than anything.

I don't give a flying fuck what you do, quit spreading lies is all I'm saying.

• Adopted DS #1- '05 
    • Adopted DS #2- '07
    • DS born August 1, 2011

mummyofsix
  • jess9802 said:
    Sorry, but I disagree that using inflammatory rhetoric and bad or biased research is a legitimate means of educating the general public. That circumcision has been the cultural norm hardly justifies that tactic.

I honestly have no beef with whatever parents decide to do. I am, however, disturbed at the propaganda that gets thrown out by those against circumcision, and find it disingenuous that they would twist, distort, obscure, or lie about the actual science in order to convince people of the merits of their argument. I think the AAP position on circumcision is perfectly appropriate: the benefits outweigh the risks, but not to such a degree as to recommend universal circumcision. Parents get to make the decision in light of their ethical, religious, and cultural beliefs.

I assume that you're educated enough and have had the time to critically evaluate every study cited in the series based on the criteria in your previous post in order to arrive at the conclusion that it's "bad" or "biased" research...? I am well aware that every study has its limitations, but I'm curious about what, exactly, you think has been twisted or obscured here?
    Lilypie - (BKXw)

Mizoo

• I am LMAO over here. I fixed it for you, BTW. I see all of the bolded in the "for circumcision" posts more than anything.

I don't give a flying fuck what you do, quit spreading lies is all I'm saying.

I am not arguing for or against circumcision. I, too, give no fucks what someone else does with their children in regard to this question. I, too, wish people would quit spreading lies. I just happen to think more of them come from the anti-circ people than those who are neutral on the question or pro-circumcision. <shrugs>

@MosyMama: It goes far beyond every study having its limitation. Some are relevant, and some are not. Bollinger has been criticized for the manner in which he calculated the death rate, which the CDC says is simply not supported by their data. As I recall, the articles also cite a pediatrician and notable "intactivist" Van Howe - who has also been criticized by other researchers for his conclusions and methodology regarding the prevalence of genital disease in circ'ed and uncirc'ed men. So yeah - when a series of articles by people with explicit, perhaps even extremist, agendas cite questionable research, forgive me for assuming that the articles are perhaps not the best source by which people should "educate themselves."

OP, talk to your SO and your pediatrician and then make a decision. Truly, it won't be a big deal either way. Good luck.
    kcisthebombdotcom[Deleted User]
  • While I may not offer pros and cons per say, we will be doing it. DH had it done, and we both agree that LO will also.
    imageimageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • @jen9802 Because every study has limitations, there is "questionable" research on both sides of the issue, e.g., the study that perpetuates the myth that circumcision reduces the spread of STDs. Going back to my original point, I appreciate the opportunity to refer to research on this (and any subject where there is no compelling recommendation one way or the other), and that is not saying that this series is the be all, end all source of information.
    Lilypie - (BKXw)

WashingtonQueen
  • I did not circ my son, and I still stand by my decision. This subject always ruffles some feathers, and it will always be that way. I don't feel that it's necessary to cut my child's penis because it's "cleaner." In all reality, it's not. You should be teaching your child to properly clean themselves, and you should keep them clean before that. Any genitals, cut or not, are at risk for infection if not kept clean. They try to say that the baby "doesn't feel it" but I know that's not true. You can numb them all you want during the procedure, but the weeks of recovery are definitely not painless, and I highly doubt the procedure is either. People do it because it's the normal thing to do. Ultimately, it's your choice. In my opinion, it's ultimately my son's choice as to whether he wants it done or not. Since he was too young at birth to decide, I left it alone until he could. That's just my opinion. Do your research and be 100% sure. Don't let anybody sway you toward what you don't truly want.
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Andrew Karol-4/10/2010
    Jase Eli-3/10/14

MosyMamaMizoostarskristen79
  • Yawn. This 'ol topic again?!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image

WashingtonQueenDaisyDuck40EmR22VicinoSeven