Toddlers: 24 Months+

Compound W for Warts

Hi,

I haven't posted on here on a long time, but I did look to see if anyone else asked this question and couldn't find a thread similar...DD had what looked like a wart on her heel for a long time, and after going through insurance issues I was finally able to take her to a dermatologist.  The doctor confirmed that it was in fact a wart on her heel, and that I could use compound w on it to get rid of it.  But she said to be careful because it does "eat flesh" and to be very precise putting it on.  Well that freaked me out cause she always moves around and what if I miss the right spot night after night! Lol.  So I mentioned it to my MIL and she said her own MIL told her to put raw potatoe on it and it would go away...So my quesiton is has anyone used this before on their own child?  Or any other old wives remedies that worked?  TIA

Re: Compound W for Warts

• My son had a wart on his finger when he was an infant. Our regular pedi froze it off in the office with liquid nitrogen. It was quick and easy.

I've tried to use over the counter wart removal solutions on myself in the past and nothing has ever worked, plus it's painful and takes a long time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have dealt with warts in the family for years. Salicylic acid works, but can take a long time (weeks of application once or twice a day).  Freezing sometimes works (but not all the time).  The most effective method we have found, so far, is cantharidin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantharidin).  It MUST be applied by your doctor, and can work quickly.  They might prefer to wait until she's older, but it is very safe *when used properly*.  

If you go the salicylic acid route, do make sure to use it at least once a day.  Do make sure it is FULLY dried before she walks on it.  And do be patient with the process.  (I've had it take months for one of my warts, but it was right against a fingernail...)
    IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks, the only time I've ever heard of salicylic acid is with acne treatment. Where do you purchase it? And what is the percentage?
  • TiffanyBerryTiffanyBerry member
    edited December 2013
    Compound W IS salicylic acid.  (So is aspirin - well, aspirin is metabolized into it.  And it's in Pepto.  And sometimes dandruff shampoo...) 
    IMG_8355
  • Totally lurking (my son turns 2 in Feb), but apple cider vinegar works wonders for warts and would be plenty safe for the kids. I had a wart on my ankle and a few nights of a apple cider vinegar soaked cotton ball covered with a bandaid caused it to fall off. It would take longer than freezing it off, but it's an all natural alternative. I didn't find that it dried out the skin around it either, but a baby's sensitive skin could get some lotion or coconut oil and remedy that. 

I Take Lots of Pictures: www.camerahappymom.com

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"