June 2014 Moms
Options

Cloth Diapers Anyone?!

Re: Cloth Diapers Anyone?!

• Options

@katekat8721‌ I would say 8-10 per kid per day. As a cheaper alternatative to the AIO you could try green mountain diapers workhorses. They are fitted prefolds that you would wear with a cover. They are super easy to use and are only about 5 dollars each rather than 20+ for AIOs.

That's a good idea! I just did the math for 16-20 AIOs x $20 each and wanted to die a little lol.

Silly question, a lot of my OS stash are pockets... think I could just treat the pocket like a cover and use non stuffed with a workhorse?

• Options
    chickpea912chickpea912 member
    edited July 2014
    MrsRahl said:
    Does anyone know where to get tide original powder because everything I find is ultra tide not original :(
    @MrsRahl That is basically the same thing - they retooled the formula so that is what is available now.  Just get Tide Ultra.
    I'm having a lot of leaks :( I'm using a variety of brands AIOs and pockets. LO came home under 6 pounds, and is now nearly 7. My friend thinks this problem will go away when she's a little bigger. Any input? Suggestions to make CDs work? I really want to CD, but they have to contain the poop!
    @Temurlang1
    Whenever I deal with leaks, these are the things I consider to figure out the reason:

Is the insert/diaper (in the case of the AIO) soaked?  

If it is soaked, then you have an absorption issue.  Either change more frequently or add material to up the absorbency.

If it isn't soaked, then it is a fit issue - how big is LO?  Are you using newborn diapers or OS diapers?  S, for example, is nearly 11 pounds, and she is just now fitting into OS diapers.  Before now, I'm sure I'd have had leaks because of fit.  And now, she's starting to leak in her nb diapers because they're a little too small and she needs more absorbent diapers.

Later in your CDing career, you might find that you are having leaks but the diaper isn't wet inside at all - this would be a likely case of repelling, where soap and mineral buildup in the diaper repels the liquid and keeps it from absorbing into the diaper -then you'd need to strip.  I'm fairly certain you aren't having this problem just yet.
    @katekat8721‌ I would say 8-10 per kid per day. As a cheaper alternatative to the AIO you could try green mountain diapers workhorses. They are fitted prefolds that you would wear with a cover. They are super easy to use and are only about 5 dollars each rather than 20+ for AIOs.
    That's a good idea! I just did the math for 16-20 AIOs x $20 each and wanted to die a little lol. Silly question, a lot of my OS stash are pockets... think I could just treat the pocket like a cover and use non stuffed with a workhorse?
    @katekat8721 You could treat your pocket like a cover - no reason you couldn't - it's basically a cover with material inside to make the pocket.  If you don't hate stuffing (I never minded it - it was brainless activity in front of the tv), pockets are as convenient as AIOs with a bunch of benefits (I like pockets more than AIOs for a couple of reasons.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Chat!                       General Cloth Diaper Information          
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @wareagle1220‌ and @chickpea912‌ thanks, it must be a fit issue, but I don't understand how. LO was born at 6 lb 2 oz, and was below 6 lb for about 10 days. Now she's just under 7 I think. So definitely on the small side. I have newborn AIOs, but some are still too large. We've never had a soaked diaper, although once there was an amazing amount of poop, so that one time could have been an absorbency issue. Her legs aren't that thin, so I'm able to get a tight leg hole fit but I feel like I can't get a good fit overall?
    image    image

• Options
    @temurlang1 what kind of nb diapers are you using? Do you see leg gaps? Where is it leaking? Is it leaking out or are you getting compression leaking into clothing around legs or elsewhere? Is it all diapers or just one type/brand?

While I love how trim they are, we have had problems with the absorption in newborn Bumgenius diapers - they just don't last us as long as other diapers. So if you are having problems with those, I wouldn't be surprised.

• Options
    @chickpea912‌ I have a bunch of brands, and it's happened with several. Bum Genius, Grovia, Simplex, Lil Joey, and Smart Bottoms. We've been using those more because they're smaller. We had leaks with Osocozy and Charlie Banana, but I think those are definitely too big for her. This morning's leak was through a leg hole and it was as tight as it would go.
    image    image

• Options
    With this mornings leak, was the rest of the diaper wet and it just over saturated and leaked? If not, it might just not fit quite right. It happens - some diapers are better for different body types.

• Options
    @chickpea912‌ I don't think so. It was a pretty fresh diaper. I heard her poop and then changed her. There was a lot of poop in the diaper (I'm surprised how much poop someone under 7 lb can make!), but it wasn't wet or heavy and the poop just happened and leaked out immediately. Since I've had leaks with so many I'm wondering if I should just wait a couple of weeks until she's bigger?
    image    image

• Options
    @KrystaJ‌ yes, the Lil Joeys are the best. How big is your DD now? Are you able to use other brands successfully?
    image    image

• Options
    Our girls are only 6.5 lbs and only bummis and Lil joys fit well. Once they reach 7 lbs then some of the other ones should fit better!

• Options
    KrystaJ said:

@temurlang1 - DD is a little over 10 lbs. Lil Joeys still work well (we use them at night), but my new favorite now that they fit around the legs are blueberry simplex. BG NB don't seem to fit as great as when she was smaller and don't have as great absorbency, but are still a go to because of ease. I can't wait until we can get her in BG 4.0s and freetimes, but I have a feeling we are still a ways out because she's such a skinny, long thing.

I pretty much only use blueberry simplex (newborn). I love them. DS is over 10 pounds but I can still button them the tightest so I think they will still work for a while.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Bozzy2Bozzy2 member
    The bikini twist is amazing thank you lady's that just made my life easier.
  • Options
    I'm using prefolds. Little man has rocket poops and keeps blowing out the side onto his covers. I've tried the newspaper fold, the bikini twist, and that one where you roll the sides in...what am I doing wrong? I feel like I get them tight enough around his thighs.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    Bozzy2Bozzy2 member
    @Lilygrace48‌ I have the same problem I started using the bikini twist with another newspaper folded one then the snappy and cover. Idk I am just trying to cover my bases. Let me know if you figure something better out.
  • Options

@Lilygrace48‌ @Bozzy2‌
    Maybe try this one https://www.littleturtleknits.com/sidewallpf.htm

I don't know I never had much luck with preventing blow outs with prefolds, elastic around the legs was necessary for DD.

Thanks!! I'll give that a shot next diaper change. :)

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    MNOpeaMNOpea member
    KrystaJ said:

Anyone have any good wipe solution recipes to share? The only one we have tried have LO a rash and buying premade solution is going to get pricey!

I have almost always made mine with a squirt of baby wash and a squirt of baby lotion in about 2'cups of water
  • Options
    Those of you using Simplex Newborn AIOs...I've read that the attached insert will agitate out in the washing machine.  I've been pulling it out on my own in fear that it will not agitate out.  Any experience on if it really does on its own?

• Options

How often does everyone change diapers at night? LO is 3 weeks old And I change her every time she gets up to eat. Which is every 2.5 to 3 hours.

Every time they eat and/or if I hear an explosive poo has happened lol

• Options
    arekeweg said:

Those of you using Simplex Newborn AIOs...I've read that the attached insert will agitate out in the washing machine.  I've been pulling it out on my own in fear that it will not agitate out.  Any experience on if it really does on its own?

Some do, some don't. It probably depends on your washer. I've never felt that the ones that don't weren't clean though!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

lalala8 said:
    @arekeweg‌ It does! I never pull it out.
    Same! And even the extra Blueberry liner that I forgot to pull out from his overnight use agitated out :)

J14 Jan Siggy Challenge: Santorini

• Options
    MommyP710 said:

arekeweg said:

Some do, some don't. It probably depends on your washer. I've never felt that the ones that don't weren't clean though!
    Weird - some of my simplexes agitate out, some don't. Usually the same ones don't agitate out. They still seem clean, but those take longer to dry (makes sense).

• Options
    chickpea912chickpea912 member
    edited July 2014
    @wareagle1220‌ What does the rash look like? What kind of cream?

I don't typically put cream on at every change but some people do. Not sure what else you can do to prevent a regular diaper rash.

• Options
    MNOpeaMNOpea member
    @wareagle1220‌ I use coconut oil on both my boys' bottoms at almost every change. It tends to keep the redness down
  • Options
    Is there a faster way to prep natural materials than washing 10 times?  I dont even have enough to make a load. I'm talking 5 bamboo inserts here.  Also I added a couple BG 4.0 to my stash. To prep those do I have to wash by themselves or can they be prepped by washing in the same load as dirty MF pockets?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    MrsRahl said:

Is there a faster way to prep natural materials than washing 10 times?  I dont even have enough to make a load. I'm talking 5 bamboo inserts here.  Also I added a couple BG 4.0 to my stash. To prep those do I have to wash by themselves or can they be prepped by washing in the same load as dirty MF pockets?

@MrsRahl‌
    You can boil natural fibers - just make sure it's only the insert and nothing with PUL.

You can wash the 4.0s with anything else. No real prep there - you're just washing to have it be clean before putting it on the bum - like you would wash new clothes before putting them on.

• Options
    Crazy, you learn something new every day.  I'd never heard of Diaper Dawgs (honestly, I'm not sure I'd ever felt the need to find products that do what they do), but cool to learn of new innovations :)

I like the idea of the sprayer if only because it would save a little bit of water.

• Options
    MNOpeaMNOpea member
    Grr yeast infection rash here :( back in disposables for the next few days
  • Options
    I'm loving thirsties AIOs and they'll last till 18 lbs (or 9 months) so they claim. Anyone use them on bigger babies who can attest to this?

• Options
    I'm finding that when he's in cloth, he's more irritated than when he's in disposables (which we use when traveling). I assume this is because the cloth doesn't keep him dry the way disposables do. I use prefolds and covers, is there anything I can use to help?

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    MNOpeaMNOpea member
    @wareagle1220‌ I was pretty sure it was by look (angry red bumps) but tried normal diaper rash cream first. When zero improvement after a few applications I started with nystatin (that I already had from ds1) and there was improvement. But if it's your first experience with it I would make a drs appointment
  • Options
    @wareagle1220‌ I was pretty sure it was by look (angry red bumps) but tried normal diaper rash cream first. When zero improvement after a few applications I started with nystatin (that I already had from ds1) and there was improvement. But if it's your first experience with it I would make a drs appointment
    Damn. That sounds kind of like what she has.
    If you suspect it, I'd make sure to have a doctor diagnose it.  Hoping it's not yeast!

@MNOpea - I hope it clears up quickly! Boo on yeast rashes.

• Options
    MegEL85 said:

Does anyone use contours? I have one and can't decide if I'm supposed to use a snappi or just lay it in the cover. Snappi didn't seem to like the material.

@MegEL85‌ What brand? Link or photo?
    KrystaJ said:

LO is just barely fitting in OS diapers. As much as it makes me sad, I'm excited that I have so many more diapers she can wear!

@KrystaJ‌ I was just thinking this the other day :)

• Options
    I gave up. I'm a failure. major props to the ladies CDing!
  • Options
    KrystaJ said:

spittler2 said:

MegEL85 said:

Does anyone use contours? I have one and can't decide if I'm supposed to use a snappi or just lay it in the cover. Snappi didn't seem to like the material.

@MegEL85‌ What brand? Link or photo?
    KrystaJ said:

LO is just barely fitting in OS diapers. As much as it makes me sad, I'm excited that I have so many more diapers she can wear!

@KrystaJ‌ I was just thinking this the other day :)

I know this has been discussed, but when did yours fit in OS? LO is just over 9 lbs and I'm wondering how much longer it'll take. :)
    @wareagle1220‌ my 10 lber just now fits into my BG Freetimes, BG Elementals, and Grovia Hybrids. The Fuzzibunz OSs are still a tad big. He still fits into all his NB cloth diapers as well, I'm loving the variety to pick from when I change him!
    DD is skinny with skinny legs. She's about 12 lbs and they for perfectly on they smallest setting with BG 4.0s and freetimes.
    I was able to put Charlie in my rumperooz os when he was just over 10 lbs. He's got a case of thunder thighs, though. :)

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options

@stephross88 I agree with pp! Take a little break then come back to it. What problems are you having? Can we help?

want to come do my laundry? lol kidding! I thought DS was ready for PLing a few months back but he definitely wasn't so I figured with having two in diapers I would save money by putting DS in cloth and when he did PL I would put B in the cloth and stop buying diapers altogether. brilliant right? well I think I got caught up in the hype and cuteness of the fluff because I really don't like CDing. I struggle with the fit of the dipes and none of his clothes fit over the cloth. plus I have a really hard time telling when he's wet and he usually ends up leaking through the pul and with a bright red rash I'm assuming is ammonia burn. so then we end up back in sposies anyway until that clears up. it's discouraging for sure. I may revisit them when I'm not so sleep deprived and interested in working out the kinks but right now I'm really liking the ease of sposies
  • Options
    Someone posted about getting rid of poop stains...we use prefolds and I tend not to care as it's a stain, not dirty. Other than potentially hurting my resale chances, there's no reason I have to get them out if I'm too lazy and don't care, right?

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    MNOpeaMNOpea member

Someone posted about getting rid of poop stains...we use prefolds and I tend not to care as it's a stain, not dirty. Other than potentially hurting my resale chances, there's no reason I have to get them out if I'm too lazy and don't care, right?

I don't worry about stains either. I think by the time I'm done with all my cd's they won't have any resale value anyway ;)

• Options

Is anyone else a Bumgenius collector/fan? They released their new diaper today!

I wish I could find the Audrey still! And by that I mean not for a million dollars ;)
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @MrsRahl‌ childish things in Boulder, CO has a ton of Audrey's in stock for $19.95. I'm not sure if they ship, but it is worth a call. I picked up one yesterday. https://www.childishthingsconsign.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"