April 2014 Moms
Options

GTKY: Cold Remedies

I woke up with a sore throat, runny nose and sinus congestion. Other than gargling with warm salt water and drinking warm lemon water/non herbal tea, what are your pregnancy friendly cold remedies?

Re: GTKY: Cold Remedies

• Options
    A long time in a hot shower. Tea with lemon or honey.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Options
    Vicks tissues... they are SO awesome
    June Siggy Challenge

imageMy little Princess
    BFP#2 7/28/13 EDD 4/9/14 Birthday : 4/10/14 Adalyn Nanette :)
    BFP#1 6/29/12 LTMC 10/20/12 (20 weeks) induced delivery 10/22/12
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Humidifier, Neti Pot, Hot Tea w. lemon and Honey, Hot steam showers and a ridiculous amoutn of tissue...oh and orange juice

POS+April 2009-M/c May 2009, POS+July 2009-M/c Aug 2009, POS+ Novemeber 2009 -Baby Boy Charlie DOB 07/06/2010, POS+July 2011-M/c and D&C Aug 2011, POS+Dec 2011 -Baby Boy Ethan DOB 07/27/2012, POS+Aug 2013-TWIN BOYS! Jack and Miles born March 23rd 2014!!

">image
  • Options
    Hot shower, hot tea and as gross as it sounds, water with about 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
  • Options
    All of the above, plus a steam 'tent' (for lack of better words). I boil a pot of water, turn off the flame, and hang my head over the steam with a towel draped around me to form a tent. The humidity makes everything feel better and my skin afterwards is soft as can be!

• Options
    I have been using those nose strips that you sleep with! I never tried them til now and HOLY! I actually slept through the night! Highly recommend!
    BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Honestly...I just tough it out and don't do anything but let it run it course. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
                                ~Missed MC at 8 weeks. D&C at 12 weeks on 4/17/13~ 
       Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Hot tea, vaporizer (the hot steam kind, not the cool mist), honey by the spoonful w/a little cinnamon mixed in (both are naturally antibacterial). I also take vitamin C, and then put vicks vapo rub on the soles of my feet with socks on top. Vicks also goes on my neck and just under my nose. :) Feel better!!

Lilypie Maternity tickers

image  image image

• Options
    If you are particularly desperate my doctor has told me that it regular plain old Sudafed (the red tablet) if perfectly fine to take.
  • Options
    Vit C, rest, lots of fluids, honey and tea. I hate taking cold medicines so I just stick it out.
    photo ee249d6c-880a-4eb4-bc43-d6ab1f9fe662.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I am going to try all of the above. ;)
  • Options
    In nursing school we had a First Nations medicine woman visit one of our classes, and I use her cold remedy every time I feel sick - Mix 1 tbsp honey with 1 tsp cinnamon and eat. It's yummy, and I swear it helps. 

Oil of Oregano is an AMAZING natural remedy for colds, but it's for sure safe during pregnancy... but keep it in mind of afterwards. My whole family swears by it. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I use DoTerra essential oils. Ahhhhhmazing!!! Breathe and deep blue for congestion, onGuard, frankincense, and oregano to ward off sickness and kill anything u have. This actually worked when I had a group B strep UTI at 12 weeks instead of ampicillin.
  • Options
    My doctor said I could take sudafed. But I'm nervous to try it, even though my head feels like it is going to explode!! Has anyone tried it? Would you?
  • Options

Last time I felt a cold coming, I was in my first trimester, I boiled cinnamon sticks and drank it with a little bit of honey. I added a couple of drops of lemon to help more. I also rubbed Vicks on my chest so that I could sleep through the night. Finally, I made sure I was hydrated and drank lots of water. It worked well for me.

Ps. Forgot to mention that I missed a day of work so that I can also stay in bed and rest all day. :)

imagePregnancy Ticker

• Options
    sleep, hydration, garlic, sleep, vitamin c, hydration, sleep...

BFP #1 May 20, 2013   
    MC June 27, 2013   BFP #2 August 2, 2013   Baby Boy born 4/25/14 (3 weeks overdue!)
    April 14 August Siggy Challenge- "This time last year.."
  • Options
    thomas930 said:

Honestly...I just tough it out and don't do anything but let it run it course. 

This is what I do, pregnant or not. I really have to be feeling awful to take something. And if I take anything it's Tylenol PM. Never taken that while pregnant though. ;)

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• Options
    Thanks @celticlullaby! I ended up going to the pharmacy and getting the neti pot. Oh. My. Goodness. That thing works like magic!
  • Options
    Crissers19Crissers19 member
    edited December 2013
    I think there has been some horrible colds going around this year. A few weeks ago I had one with a fever, cough, and nasal/chest congestion. My OB recommended Robitussin, Tylenol, and nasal saline first... Didn't do anything. Then Sudafed... helped but still didn't get it to go away. After two weeks of battling it, she put my on a zpack and that finally did it.

I did find that Vicks Vapor Rub works well to clear the nose. It was on my safe list from my OB.

OP - take care of yourself and I hope you feel better soon!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"