Natural Birth

Freebirth/Unassisted Childbirth

Pregnant with my 4th and considering UC. All other children were all natural water births. I'm seeking care with a CNM for the 4th time. I'm very intune with my body and trust my instincts. I'm looking for advice, links, stories, etc
PinknightsMrsCoons

Re: Freebirth/Unassisted Childbirth

• I don't have any advice but wanted to say good luck!  I attended the Birth Without Fear conference this year and the creator had 2 UC.  You should check out the site.  She's also on Facebook.  http://birthwithoutfearblog.com/
      zoe 2.19.13 & luna 7.01.14

HannahsHopeDaniallebeck
  • I guess I just have to ask, what's your opposition to having your midwife there for the birth? I feel like a good midwife would be ok with being there just in case she's needed. 

image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image
    huntjulEveryusernameistakenabirdd9crazyjoedivola
  • I had a Canadian friend who did this.  Unassisted, in her own bathtub (not a water birth).  Of course, she had also trained as a doula....
    Lesbian mommies.  Legally married in New York 5/15/12.  Me (carrier): 35, Wife: 46.
    TTC since 12/12.  Repeated BFNs with known donor from 12/12 through 9/13. 
    Donor decided he couldn't keep helping us in 10/13.
    New known donor in 11/13 - BFP first cycle!  First positive came back on 11/23/13.
    Ultrasound at 10w on 1/8/14 showed no heartbeat and stopped growth at 7w5d.  Actual miscarriage on 1/19/14.

Daniallebeck
  • iris427 said:
    Why not just find a MW who will be hands off and support a natural birth
    ... and then take that MW with you to a birthing center or hospital where they can provide emergency assistance if something goes terribly wrong! In a home birth, if the mother is bleeding out, there are limits to what a MW can do (basically, she can perform uterine compressions). At the hospital they can give you injections to hasten clotting, pitocin to encourage uterine contraction, and blood transfusions if it comes to that. Also, there are situations where an emergency c-section becomes necessary to save mother or baby or both, and MWs can't do those, period.  
    ~ filii carissimi, amores meae vitae, luces meae animae ~ 

photo IMG_7215_zps70b72389.jpg photo IMG_7429_zps7cc25c8c.jpg photo IMG_7118_zpsbad13334.jpg 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    IdyllicPursuittricia560
  • bromios said:
    iris427 said:
    ... and then take that MW with you to a birthing center or hospital where they can provide emergency assistance if something goes terribly wrong! In a home birth, if the mother is bleeding out, there are limits to what a MW can do (basically, she can perform uterine compressions). At the hospital they can give you injections to hasten clotting, pitocin to encourage uterine contraction, and blood transfusions if it comes to that. Also, there are situations where an emergency c-section becomes necessary to save mother or baby or both, and MWs can't do those, period.  
    What does a birthing center have that a MW would not have?
    [Deleted User]CLLDLLhisbeautyalwaysKatrinamu
  • lrj85 said:
    sschwege said:
    bromios said:
    iris427 said:
    What does a birthing center have that a MW would not have?
    Midwives can also carry pitocin which they can legally administer for a postpartum hemorrhage. The rates of that particular risk is very low. SOME women do not want to give birth in a hospital where sick people are and choose not to treat a healthy perfectly fine pregnancy like an emergency situation. You can get in a horrendous car wreck driving to work the risk is small on any given day but it is there do you still go to work? Just saying investigate the risks as they pertain to you. I do not personally believe birth belongs in a hospital...
    Some birthing centers have doctors on hand in the event of an emergency, operating rooms, things like that. Not all, but some. 
    @lrj85 - Midwives CAN carry pitocin, but not all midwives do. And the US is one of the few developed nations where a midwife is allowed to practice with extremely minimal training and can receive a certain level of certification without ever participating in a delivery at all. As for the risk of women hemorrhaging being "very low," maybe I'm just a lightening rod for women who have almost bled to death giving birth, but IRL I personally know five mothers who would have bled out had they not been in the hospital. In addition to myself. And that's about a fifth of the women I know who have had babies. You also seem to be ignoring the fact that, until you are actually delivering, you can't always KNOW what risks will end up pertaining to you, because the baby could be fine one day and have the cord wrapped around its neck at the delivery. And that's just one potential complication, there are dozens. Also, the maternity ward isn't usually right next to the ER, so it isn't like there are sick people coughing in the hallways of labor and delivery. Yes, people drive to work (I don't, but a lot of people do). And every birth has risk, even at the hospital. But what you're talking about isn't like driving a car to work, it's like riding a motorcycle to work without a helmet on St. Patrick's Day. With your baby. There is a much safer option, and for a mother not to take that exponentially safer option flies in the face of everything I believe about a mother's role as an advocate for and protector of her child.

photo IMG_7215_zps70b72389.jpg photo IMG_7429_zps7cc25c8c.jpg photo IMG_7118_zpsbad13334.jpg 

• This is kind of like talking to a wall that doesn't understand the concept of low risk suddenly becoming an emergency mid-delivery... 

• This is kind of like talking to a wall that doesn't understand the concept of low risk suddenly becoming an emergency mid-delivery... 
    No actually this is the case of very differing opinions. If you look at pretty much every other "developed" country homebirths are the norm and OB assisted births are used almost exclusively for high risk pregnancies. You don't have to agree or choose for yourself homebirth but very large scale studies show that homebirth, with trained professionals, is very safe. I'm sorry you had a poor experience and had complications but you are in the minority. But to ignore that maternal demise/fetal demise happens even in the most controlled environments is ignorant and untrue. This is a difference of opinion. No need to be so extreme.
    In pretty much every other "developed" country, Midwives have to go through much more rigorous training to be permitted to practice. And I know that no one would ever try to perform a home birth in a situation like mine. And I know that maternal/infant demise happens even in hospitals. I've seen that too. It is a difference of opinion informed by different levels of experience and knowledge (and the opinions of medical professionals). But I think the health of babies is important enough to have extreme feelings on the subject. After seeing so many full-term babies go through the NICU and seeing their mothers, completely shocked because they were low risk and had been expecting normal deliveries, I think delivering in an environment where life-saving care isn't immediately available is unconscionable. You may think that's extreme, but I'm comfortable with my feelings on the subject and the education and experience that informs those feelings. Obviously each mother can do as she wishes and (hopefully) live with the consequences of her choice.  

• We do not live our lives in a vacuum. There is risk for taking a shower seriously people die doing this daily!!!! As I said there is more risk in me driving to work on the highway than there is me bleeding to death at home from a hemorrhage. Yet no one seemingly implies I am some how risking my life by going in to work every day. I think this whole mitigate all risk THINK of the CHILDREN BS is really over board and a scare topic. As for maternal death stats int he US they are stupid unreliable! Under reported by a 1/3 at least because only a third of women who die of child bearing related causes have autopsies did you know that? In other industrializzed nations ALL women of child bearing age who die get an autopsy. Also state to state county to county what they consider death from child birth varies so there is no stream lined reporting procedure. Guess where most of those birth and deaths occur? THE HOSPITAL! So clearly a "controlled environment" isnt always safer or staffed with even decent Doctors
    DaniallebeckSquirtmamaabirdd9
  • She gave me a fair amount of opposition against my possible unmediated vaginal breech delivery planned in a hospital with an OB (b/c MW can only assist in a vaginal breech) and the best NICU in the region.  Presumably b/c her breech extraction was traumatic. She also advised against an EVC at 37+ weeks b/c it could bring on preterm labor.

• alliejoe said:
    @bromios An honest question, why are you on the natural birth page? At first I was under the assumption that you planned a natural birth but then conceived twins and your birth plans changed. 
    This.
    And @alliejoe - Really? I didn't intend to suggest that I opposed that plan (because I don't, it sounds like a perfectly reasonable one). And is "unmediated" supposed to be "unmedicated"? If so, all I was saying is that it can hurt like a mother. And I didn't say don't do an EVC, I suggested considering whether any of the methods you were talking about were associated with bringing on preterm labor (and pointed out that a birth before 39 weeks is now considered pre-term). That's it. I think it is awesome that you made sure your hospital has the best NICU in the region (I still don't think you'd like to spend any time there, but that seems like a really responsible choice). 

• bromios said:

alliejoe said:

@bromios An honest question, why are you on the natural birth page? At first I was under the assumption that you planned a natural birth but then conceived twins and your birth plans changed. 
    This.
    And @alliejoe - Really? I didn't intend to suggest that I opposed that plan (because I don't, it sounds like a perfectly reasonable one). And is "unmediated" supposed to be "unmedicated"? If so, all I was saying is that it can hurt like a mother. And I didn't say don't do an EVC, I suggested considering whether any of the methods you were talking about were associated with bringing on preterm labor (and pointed out that a birth before 39 weeks is now considered pre-term). That's it. I think it is awesome that you made sure your hospital has the best NICU in the region (I still don't think you'd like to spend any time there, but that seems like a really responsible choice). 

This is being said without an ounce snark, it sounds like you had a very traumatic birth experience in addition to having friends who also had a traumatic experiences. Perhaps you would benefit from talking to someone about it?
    Chillprlissydee
  • Yup, it is supposed to read unmedicated, not unmediated. Unfortunate autocorrect. 

I don't doubt that it will hurt, but an extraction is different from a beech delivery. I can't imagine entering an extraction without some pain relief unless it was an emergent need. 

OP- sorry to have hijacked your post.
  • sschwege said:

alliejoe said:
    This.
     This is being said without an ounce snark, it sounds like you had a very traumatic birth experience in addition to having friends who also had a traumatic experiences. Perhaps you would benefit from talking to someone about it?
    No snark taken :) I'm a big believer in seeking the help of professionals (that much should be clear from my posts). I would never try to tackle the emotional damage I sustained without professional help. A lot of people on this board are clearly very attached to their vision for their delivery, and part of what I am trying to bring is the perspective of someone who has learned to see a healthy baby as a win regardless of the uncomfortable, harsh, or even traumatic conditions under which that child is born. I always thought home births were a terrible idea, but I used to be very attached to the idea of an unmedicated birth, of obsessing over when my child received its first bath, whether to get the eye drops or not. As it turned out, all of those choices were taken out of my hands, and I still ended up with healthy, happy, emotionally connected children. I now understand how little those other things really matter in the grand scheme of things. And I hate the thought of another mother losing a child unnecessarily because the care that child needed wasn't immediately available. My feelings on the subject are strong, but they come from a place of wanting the best end result for every mother and baby. 

• alliejoe said:
    Yup, it is supposed to read unmedicated, not unmediated. Unfortunate autocorrect. 

I don't doubt that it will hurt, but an extraction is different from a beech delivery. I can't imagine entering an extraction without some pain relief unless it was an emergent need. 

OP- sorry to have hijacked your post.
    The distinction you point out is legit.

• alliejoe said:
    @bromios An honest question, why are you on the natural birth page? At first I was under the assumption that you planned a natural birth but then conceived twins and your birth plans changed. The more I read, the more it seems as though you're here to stir the pot and tell everyone that their plans, hopes, intentions, etc. are stupid and that they were lucky their successful natural and/or home births didn't end I tragedy.

I agree that an unassisted birth is an unnecessary risk, but your overwhelming opinion pops up in every feed you post on.
    I was thinking the same thing myself...sort of like a blood bank representative at a Christian Scientist convention or something...
    Lesbian mommies.  Legally married in New York 5/15/12.  Me (carrier): 35, Wife: 46.
    TTC since 12/12.  Repeated BFNs with known donor from 12/12 through 9/13. 
    Donor decided he couldn't keep helping us in 10/13.
    New known donor in 11/13 - BFP first cycle!  First positive came back on 11/23/13.
    Ultrasound at 10w on 1/8/14 showed no heartbeat and stopped growth at 7w5d.  Actual miscarriage on 1/19/14.

[Deleted User]
  • alliejoe said:
    @bromios An honest question, why are you on the natural birth page? At first I was under the assumption that you planned a natural birth but then conceived twins and your birth plans changed. The more I read, the more it seems as though you're here to stir the pot and tell everyone that their plans, hopes, intentions, etc. are stupid and that they were lucky their successful natural and/or home births didn't end I tragedy.

I agree that an unassisted birth is an unnecessary risk, but your overwhelming opinion pops up in every feed you post on.
    I was thinking the same thing myself...sort of like a blood bank representative at a Christian Scientist convention or something...
    Okay, think what you like and don't read my posts carefully, but in that analogy, you know that y'all would be the ones who try to pray away the appendicitis...

• Oh Lord..this thread isn't going to end well...
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    DS born August 5, 2010...can't believe he is 4!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Daniallebeck[Deleted User]mmks