Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Feeding every hour

My boy is now 4 weeks old and literally has been hungry every hour today. He eats for about 10 to 20 minutes then let's go and is asleep.
I don't think I have low supply since lots of times he gags or coughs when drinking milk.
Is he having a major growth spurt or should I maybe start formula?

Re: Feeding every hour

• Options
    Id say growth spurt. If he's having enough wet/poopy diapers, he is well nourished.
    A'13 June Siggy Contest- TV Dads
  • Options
    Yep changing it lots to. I will have to buy a wrap or sling since I feel like I can't accomplish anythig since feeding majority of the day
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies that makes me feel better
  • Options
    Another clue that you are producing enough sthat he seems satisfied at the end of the feeding (stops eating on his own, not acting hungry immediately after the feeding).
    You could also try hand expressing after he stops. If you can express more milk, then he isn't "draining" the breast and you have plenty for him (not being able to doesn't mean an under supply, though, as he is more efficient and can transfe milk better than you can express it).
    Do you try keeping him awake or wake him to offer more after he falls asleep? He may still be hungry and falling asleep before he is done, and nursing a few minutes longer could keep him satisfied a bit longer.
    Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • Options
    He's usually asleep by the end but I tickle his cheek and sometimes see if he will suck on my nipple again but he won't. He must be growing
  • Options
    Don't worry about the frequent nursing (go to Kellymom.com and under Breastfeeding ages and stages newborn there should be a great article on frequent nursing.) You do not need to supplement. If he is having enough wet and dirty diapers and does not have a sunken in soft spot (very noticeable, not the normal dip where the soft spot is) then baby is fine. My son is almost 7 weeks and has only stretched out his feedings by 15-30 minutes (so he's every hour and 15-1/2 now). Hang in there mama! You're doing great! I know it can feel like all you're doing is nursing but it will go by fast!
    Ruth 1:16 - But Ruth replied "Don't urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go, I will go and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God.
  • Options
    Growth spurt! Hang in there, it won't last forever :) 

• Options
    My doctor said every hour breastfeedings are an absolute no no. My son did this trend one day, which prompted a call to the doctor to see if I needed to add anything. He said strictly an every 3 hour feeding schedule, make sure he got 15 minutes on each side. We started that, and my son instantly started taking better naps and sleeping 7 hours at night. Dr. said every hour just doesn't give your body enough time to recover and produce properly--that there is very much such a thing as feeding too much and the baby was only learning to use me as a pacifier. At our last checkup my LO was 16 pounds and 25 inches at just 2 months old--I'd say he's still definitely getting plenty to eat!

Hope everything goes well for you! Whatever you decide to do, hang in there!
  • Options
    momof2buggsmomof2buggs member
    edited December 2013
    Not every poster is going to agree on this subject, and everyone thinks their way is the best way. But you just can't argue with the results that MamaKal got!
  • Options
    I don't understand how you can feed a breastfed baby "too much."  Either the baby is hungry, or not.  If they're not hungry, they won't eat.  And I wouldn't deny my baby the breast if she's hungry, just because the clock (or a doctor) says it's "too soon."

That said, there's a difference between eating and sucking - if there's swallowing, I'd say let the baby nurse! But if they're just mouthing the nipple, pop them off and see if they're done. 

AmyG* said:

Your breasts are never empty,

They don't need time to recover and produce properly.

and for many babies a strictly 15 minutes on each side leads to a foremilk and hindmilk imbalance.  Watch the baby, don't watch the clock.  

Especially that last bit - when my baby was doing the cluster feeding, it was better to let her take only one breast per session than to alternate.  When I was alternating (because someone had told me I should do 10 minutes a side) all it did was make my nipples really sore; she didn't want to nurse any less frequently.

Iris born Halloween 2013! 6 lbs, 1 oz, 18 inches long

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    March 24bimageimageimage
  • Options
    Growth spurt. Baby is gonna baby, yo. If you add formula you risk damaging your supply. Wait unless there is problem with weight gain.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    @ranaverde There you go being all rational again! <3

N '13 January Siggy Challenge
    ~*~ Winter Weather Fails ~*~
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Sounds like a growth spurt to me. My DS went though one when he was 3 weeks for just over a week. Was very tiring but it did end. From my knowledge on BF you feed whenever your LO is hungry and it's best not to set a schedule because it can effect your supply. I was told not to time your sessions but to watch the babies cues for being satisfied.
  • Options
    Ignoring your BF baby when they are obviously hungry or in need of comfort at the breast is child abuse. There, I said it. It also makes you seem like a shitty human being.

It only "worked" because your baby gave up trying to communicate their needs to you when you let them scream.

Congrats. It appears like you might suck @mamakal.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    My daughter goes through this sometimes too. She will be 4 weeks on Saturday and when she would go through days like this I felt like maybe she wasn't getting enough from me, but she was. Most likely just a growth spurt...just keep feeding as long as he wants it. 
    image Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"