High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Epilepsy

theoryofwhattheoryofwhat member
edited December 2013 in High-Risk Pregnancy
Any mommas out there have epilepsy?
If so, did you opt to continue taking your seizure meds or get off of them during pregnancy?
edit: autocorrect is a jerk

Re: Epilepsy

• Options
    I'm not epileptic myself, but my DH and SIL both are. I think it depends on what med you are on and how often your seizures are. Having seizures while pregnant can reduce blood flow to the placenta and baby, so generally I think women are recommended to remain on meds (although they might have to adjust which med or dosages based on potential side effects).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Mine usually happen in showers or while I'm driving, so I'm a bit less concerned about reducing blood flow to the placenta and more concerned about seizing while driving and stuff. aha

We tried to taper my meds, but it just didn't work out. I think most docs say if the benefits outweigh negative, then it's best to stay on them.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've heard Keppra is relatively safe in pregnancy. I take Topamax, which is also pretty safe.
    I think the birth defects associated with them are cleft lip and cleft palate, but I think the odds are only increased by 2-3%. Just had my A/S and baby doesn't have cleft lip or palate.

I wonder if I should be taking extra folic acid? 
  • Options
    I have epilepsy and have the VNS (vagal nerve stimulator) and am on a very low dose of Keppra, 500mg every evening. I wondered if anyone out there has taken keppra and had a healthy baby? Any recommendations on things to do or avoid? We are just now starting to try for a baby, and I have been taken a prenatal vitamin and 2mg of frolic acid daily. Thanks for any advice!
  • Options
    I have epilepsy and have the VNS (vagal nerve stimulator) and am on a very low dose of Keppra, 500mg every evening. I wondered if anyone out there has taken keppra and had a healthy baby? Any recommendations on things to do or avoid? We are just now starting to try for a baby, and I have been taken a prenatal vitamin and 2mg of frolic acid daily. Thanks for any advice!

Hello! I'm 21 weeks and on a high dose of Keppra for my seizures. Other than extra folic acid, having all my scans done at the maternal fetal medicine practice, and a fetal heart echo scheduled for 24 weeks, things are going great! My MFM says he only needs to see me for scans, Keppra is considered the safest to be on according to studies so far, and the fetal echo is only a precaution because the seizures put the baby at higher risk for heart defects. Baby boy was looking great at 18 weeks at the anatomy scan!

BFP 11/1/2013.  Baby Boy born July 4, 2014!

• Options
    Congratulations! So happy to hear about all of these postive experiences with Keppra/epilepsy & pregnancy! What have you been told about breast feeding on Keppra? I'm in a rural area, and the region as a whole doesn't have the best rep for being advocates for the latest and greatest health info. Would love to hear what everyone else is hearing! Thanks!
  • Options
    Glad I found this thread! My husband and I are going to start trying soon.  I'm on Topamax and my doctor wants me to come off of my medication when we start to try.  And that means no driving for me... I'm anxious about this.  Interesting to know there are others out there staying on their meds and doing just fine.  So happy to hear that news :)  
  • Options
    theoryofwhattheoryofwhat member
    edited March 2014
    mysngs2u said: Glad I found this thread! My husband and I are going to start trying soon.  I'm on Topamax and my doctor wants me to come off of my medication when we start to try.  And that means no driving for me... I'm anxious about this.  Interesting to know there are others out there staying on their meds and doing just fine.  So happy to hear that news :)   ---quote fail---
    I've stayed on my Topamax my whole pregnancy and everything has gone very smoothly. Make sure the benefits outweigh the risks when discontinuing your medication and be sure to discuss it with your neurologist. Cleft lip is possible when taking Topamax during pregnancy, but the chances are very slight (you have over a 96% chance of having a baby without it). In my siggy, I have a 4D of my baby girl and you can see she has no cleft lip. GL!
  • Options
    I am an epileptic. due sept 24th 2014 and this is my first baby. i am on keppra and lamictal and was on depakote, but they took me off it for the first trimester since it has lots more risks than the other seizure meds like keppra but i have been having seizures every 20 days and the doc says it is much more important for me to not have seizures than to worry about possible side effects (which are low) so i am now back on the depakote now that I'm in my second trimester. So far the NT was normal but I have a fetal echo scheduled and it seems like I'm ALWAYS at the doctors, either the neurologist or the OB or the High-risk OB. I hope all goes well for everyone!
  • Options
    GoonieGal85GoonieGal85 member
    edited March 2014
    I found this forum board and it makes me feel so much better!  I just discovered from 3 positive sticks, that I am pregnant. If my calculation is right, it's 6 weeks.  My first Dr. appt is April 4. 

I have Epilepsy.  I am a TBI survivor and the most damage to my brain was in the temporal area- therefore my biggest problem is that I have Epilepsy.  I had 5 Grand Mal/Tonic Clonic seizures in 2005.  Other than that, I have mostly Simple Partial seizures a few times a month.  The "zone out, going down the hill of a roller coaster" as I like to call it.  It's like a daydream, and doesn't effect the subconscious mind.  I take 2000mg of Keppra 2x a day.  As soon as I found out I was pregnant, I immediately called my Neurologist.  He upped my Folic Acid to 2mg a day (AM and PM) along with the prenatal vitamins that also has folic acid in it.   He also sent me for blood work and said I will be getting more blood work done over the next few months, to monitor my levels.  I see him every 6 months.  My next appointment with him is in May.  In talking to my OB about this a few months ago, when I was thinking of getting pregnant, he just told me "we'll monitor you closely. It's safer to be on the seizure meds than to be off of them."

The Epilepsy is what is worrying me the most, I think.  For the baby and myself.  What if something happens and I fall?  Hit my head?  Will the Keppra cause any problems?  Also I want an all natural birth... but what I've read and heard, is that an Epidural is recommended so as not to cause so much strain that a seizure can occur. =/
  • Options
    I've had one tonic-clonic seizure during this pregnancy (mid 2nd trimester) and, while it really sucked, my LO was okay. I think I was one of the lucky ones, though. I seized in an area with carpet and no sharp edges. Really, having a seizure during pregnancy is the thing you want to try to prevent the most. Take your meds. Yes, there is a slightly higher chance of cleft lip by taking them, but it's better to have your seizures controlled as best as possible than to worry about a slight risk of your LO getting cleft lip.
    As for birthing, I haven't gotten that far yet. I've been encouraged to be induced and have an epi, though. I know BP is a real issue when laboring, so they'll want to do whatever they can to keep your body from being too stressed.
  • Options
    Congratulations on your pregnancy!
    I have had epilepsy (generalized) since I was 9 years old and am now on keppra 250mg BID. Keppra does have some potential negative side effects, however it has been highly reccommended to me as the safest med to be on while pregnant. Plus, not having seizures is very important for you and baby from what I have been told.
    That is interesting info about the epidural & seizures. I hadn't heard that, and I feel the same way about avoiding meds and going natural.
    Good luck with your pregnancy! It sounds like you are doing everything right, so enjoy it
  • Options
    All of you on here putting your doses of Keppra at 200, 250, 500mg, etc.  That's so low!  I take 2000mg BID/2X a day....
  • Options
    All of you on here putting your doses of Keppra at 200, 250, 500mg, etc.  That's so low!  I take 2000mg BID/2X a day....
    If it's birth defects you're worried about, the risk is higher in women who take more than one seizure med vs those who only take one. Honestly, if that dosage prevents you from seizing, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Seizing is the number one thing you want to prevent while pregnant and epileptic. 
    Congratulations! So happy to hear about all of these postive experiences with Keppra/epilepsy & pregnancy! What have you been told about breast feeding on Keppra? I'm in a rural area, and the region as a whole doesn't have the best rep for being advocates for the latest and greatest health info. Would love to hear what everyone else is hearing! Thanks!
    While I don't take Keppra, I've heard of lots of mothers being able to BF on it. The American Epilepsy Society and American Academy of Neurology seem to  actually recommend BF'ing for epileptic mothers:
  • Options
    If it's birth defects you're worried about, the risk is higher in women who take more than one seizure med vs those who only take one. Honestly, if that dosage prevents you from seizing, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Seizing is the number one thing you want to prevent while pregnant and epileptic. 
      That makes me feel better! =)

What I have looked at about BF and talked to someone about it (who specalizes in that area) is about the same as well Kellyj1587.  It's a low dose risk to transfer to the child and shouldn't harm them.  She sent me this info:

It is classified as L3 - moderately safe. Pediatric concerns are low, as transfer level was low. "There was no evidence of accumulation of levetiracetam in this study. The authors suggest that this study should be reassuring for breastfeeding mothers taking levetiracetam."  (she also sent me a bunch of info on different studies done, if you want any of that). 

• Options
    MBanoMBano member
    So happy I found this post. I take trileptal 900 mg at night. The doctors haven't been worried, not as your doctors have, I'm a bit concerned now, maybe I should start taking more folic acid? I have my first Nuero appointment tomorrow, since the bfp: about 17 weeks ago. Jeez, I'm praying that my baby will be ok and my epilepsy / meds will not affect it.
  • Options
    MBano said:
    So happy I found this post. I take trileptal 900 mg at night. The doctors haven't been worried, not as your doctors have, I'm a bit concerned now, maybe I should start taking more folic acid? I have my first Nuero appointment tomorrow, since the bfp: about 17 weeks ago. Jeez, I'm praying that my baby will be ok and my epilepsy / meds will not affect it.

Folic acid has been associated with reducing the risk of birth defects in pregnancies where epilepsy meds have been taken. Maybe talk to your OB about how much folic acid you can add daily? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC320966/ For your A/S are you having a level 2 done?
  • Options
    I would definitely take more folic acid.  Ask the Dr.  My Neurologist prescribes it for me.  Extra.  Always have since I was diagnosed with Epilepsy 10years ago and started on seizure meds.  When I found out I was pregnant, I called him right away, and he upped my folic acid intake and sent me for blood work to monitor my lab more closely for my trough levels on the med.  Definitely ask your Dr.!!!
  • Options
    @GoonieGal85‌ I take 4,000 mg of Keppra per day as well...no one has seemed concerned. It's the safest one to be on according to the data available. I did need to have a fetal echo as a precaution and did all ultrasounds at the MFM office. Everyone has said seizures are worse for the baby than the medicine. A previous poster mentioned breast feeding. My OB read through the study on that and there were breast feeding moms on doses as high as 3,000 per day. My OB recommends that I try breast feeding as long as everything goes smoothly. If I'm concerned, we can test his blood levels of the medication in his system just like we can mine.

BFP 11/1/2013.  Baby Boy born July 4, 2014!

• Options
    Thanks! Calms my nerves. =)
  • Options
    lhbird87lhbird87 member
    edited April 2014
    Hi to everyone here and congratulations! Women with epilepsy can have healthy babies, but just need a bit more care. I am not yet officially diagnosed but am pretty sure my seizures are epileptic because keppra has helped me so much this far. I am actually going into the hospital Monday for a VEEG to see if they can find out for sure what type I have and whether or not it's epilepsy... My neurologist knows I'm probably 6 weeks pregnant and is very kind and supportive. Her main concerns were that I was on monotherapy with a drug that isn't one of the higher risk ones and I already was on mono therapy with keppra so that won't change unless they decide otherwise after VEEG findings. According to her the VEEG will be safe. Also she prescribed 5 mg daily of folic acid. I trust her judgement on all of this.

I have been met with some judgement by others for this. I just tell them seizures can be worse than the medicine for baby and that usually makes them hush. I think as long as you have a good neuro you can trust they will help you make the correct and informed decision.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"