2nd Trimester

Bad Indigestion & constipation

Okay so I'm 21 weeks I have really bad indigestion especially after consuming dairy products, I also have really bad gas and find on most days I'm constipated. Can anyone tell me what are some good home remedies to try or some great over the counter products that helped you survive the rest of your pregnancy because I'm seriously starting to become very agitated with my digestion system. Please Help!

Re: Bad Indigestion & constipation

• For constipation: stool softener every day with my prenatal, Metamucil in the mornings, and TONS of water. If I skimp on any of these things I stop going :(
    For indigestion: Tums flavor chews

imageimageimage
    H e n r y  May 21, 2014

• Yes.. Tons of water is good advice! And add more fiber, like pp suggested. If you're having a particularly bad day, milk of magnesia (again.. With tons of water) is extremely helpful and stimulant free so it's not uncomfortable.
    Tums usually works for me with indigestion too, if its something that happens more often then you might want to switch to Zantac which is more of a prevention than a treatment. Good luck!
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I am 26 weeks along and recently started drinking prune juice for constipation. I took Citrucel earlier in pregnancy, but I couldn't stand the consistency, and I was looking for a more natural remedy. Also, I take Tums and Pepcid for indigestion.
  • Um, if you're already really gassy, then you might want to skip FiberOne bars.  Those things destroy me (it's the type of fiber in them). 

Before you start loading up on stool softeners and metamucil, I would try cutting out the foods that make you feel yucky.  Cut way back on dairy (personally I can do small amounts of cheese and yogurt, but liquid milk and ice cream are out).  I've also had to eat smaller portions more often, and eat more slowly.  And I've had to completely eliminate fizzy drinks like soda.   BUT it has made a huge difference, and I don't need to take anything other than Zantac for heartburn.   

imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Colace 2x per day (one in the morning and one at bed time) has been working for me, plus lots of water and fiber as pp said.  When I was pregnant with DS I got the worst heartburn and indigestion, tums did nothing for me.  Finally my doc said zantac and it worked so well.  I only took it when I needed it, not daily as prevention, only when it got bad and I needed relief.

• I took Tums up until about 27 weeks, then I had to switch to Zantac - both are great for the heartburn!

BabyFruit Ticker

TTC #1 since July 2010
    July 2011: Referred to RE, started Letrozole
    August 2011: BFP #1! M/C @ 5wks
    September 2011 - September 2012: test, after test, after test... S/A, HCG, B/W... Diagnosis: unexplained infertility. Letrozole, Metformin... nothing.
    September 2012: Diagnosed gluten intolerance; now living strict GF diet.
    November 2012: BFP #2! MM/C @ 6wks (discovered at 8wks). 2 rounds of Misoprostal - nothing. D&C December 2012.
    May 2013: BFP #3! Hoping this one sticks! 4x prometrium/day EDD: 01/25/14
    06/03/13: 1st u/s We have a heartbeat! Team green!
    01/24/14: Team green turned team pink. Baby girl was born!
    08/05/14: Surprise BFP #4! (Unmedicated, no pp period, EDD unknown)
    08/15/14: 1 u/s We have a heartbeat! Measured 6wks 2 days. EDD 04/08/15. Team green!
    04/08/15: Team green turned team pink. Baby girl was born!
    03/29/16: BFP #5! (Unmedicated, 1 cycle TTC) EDD: 11/09/16

• I have very similar issues but just found out that Tums causes constipation so beware!  I've been taking Tums but am looking for something else now. 

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"