Nurseries and Baby Gear

3-wheeled vs. 4-wheeled strollers

hi everyone.

for those of you who have a 3-wheeled stroller or plan on getting one, do you find them tippy? my DH won't let me get one because he feels they are unstable - BUT we can get a britax with our credit card points, so i feel its a win-win … thoughts?

i think if you put a lot of stuff on the handles any stroller can trip, so matter how many wheels. and if you are going up and down curbs obviously you pay attention and are careful - there is a baby in there after all!  guess he thinks i'm going off roading or something.

XP from my BMB.

Re: 3-wheeled vs. 4-wheeled strollers

• They are perfectly stable. And much easier to maneuver. Has he actually tested any?

• we have the 3 wheel city mini (regular & gt). Instructions say NOT to hang anything from handle bars. Prefer the suspension of the gt's front wheel, tire size, and slightly longer length. The adjustable handle bar is a plus for getting it in the back of our small SUV as well. Prefer the slightly narrower width and color of our regular city mini though. Have had the city mini tip once with baby in the carswat attached to the stroller while goung down an extremly steep hill (I was pulled sideways by a leashed dog through and was struggling to get ourselves rotated or the brake on the stroller so there were other circumstances) . If lived in steep slope area would definitly go with 4wheel. The 3wheel is a challenge/frustration source at times with curbs I have stroller envy for the 4 wheel bob (have yet to try it out though), and have eyed some of the Valco lightweight options.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • i have a Phil and Teds double and its a perfectly stable three wheeled stroller! We live in a town where most of the streets are not paved and you need to be able to navigate many different types of terrane . We have had our stroller for over four years and it has not once tipped over despite my kids at times hanging of it . The only three wheeled or jogging stroller i have heard of that was known for tipping was the Jeep jogger.
  • We have a city mini and britax b ready. Never had issues with the 3 wheel city mini.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

#2-BO 6/6/13 D/C     #3 natural m/c 8/6/13 

#4 EDD 5/19/14 It's a boy! 

• No issues wit our b agile.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My City Mini has never felt tippy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • We have the city mini and are actually looking at a 4 wheel for our next stroller.  The reason isn't stability though it's more about the stroller being able to stand on it's own when folded.  I did also feel a bit questioning when we had the car seat attachment on the 3 wheel and were dealing with curbs as well but it wasn't horrible.
  • I had to weigh in... lurking after I just found out expecting #3!  I have the City Mini and LOVE it.  I've never thought of it as tippy.  I've had both 3 and 4 wheeled strollers and I much prefer three over four.  Three wheels are so much more maneuverable! My City Mini is one hand steer, which is fantastic for anything I have to do.  I'm actually disappointed that most doubles are four wheel :(

Also, I frequently hang my diaper bag on the City mini, despite recs not to.  I have the JJ Cole Mode with the shoulder strap, so I adjust the strap big enough to slid down over the stroller and hang below the baby's center of gravity.  It puts the weight of the bag over the back wheels.  That said, doing THIS makes the stroller slightly more rear-heavy, so if LO is super wiggly it might tip.  But that is from me breaking the rules, not a stroller design defect.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• City mini had a new 4-wheeled model coming out soon (if not already in stores).
  • I'll be the voice of dissent. I hate 3 wheel strollers.  I tipped a City Mini GT backwards with my child in it while walking. WTF?!  I think it's user error but I won't do a small 3 wheel stroller again.  I love my BOB Duallie which has 3 wheels but it's a BOB so it's built like a haus.  

I have the Versa now and adore it.  I think it's way better than the regular Mini. 
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Yes, because it makes perfect sense that strollers at high risk of a "roll over" would continue to be sold in our paranoid and lawsuit- happy society.

• Yes, because it makes perfect sense that strollers at high risk of a "roll over" would continue to be sold in our paranoid and lawsuit- happy society.
    Did I say anything about that?  Did I say that it was the stroller's fault? I said it was user error thank you very much.  I just wanted to give my opinion since no one else said anything about not liking 3 wheelers.  
    image   image
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • SunAndRainSunAndRain member
    edited December 2013
    ebp913 said:
    Yes, because it makes perfect sense that strollers at high risk of a "roll over" would continue to be sold in our paranoid and lawsuit- happy society.
    Did I say anything about that?  Did I say that it was the stroller's fault? I said it was user error thank you very much.  I just wanted to give my opinion since no one else said anything about not liking 3 wheelers.  

Chill... My comment had nothing to do with your post. I was actually referring to OP's DH concern over "stability"
  • ebp913 said:
    Yes, because it makes perfect sense that strollers at high risk of a "roll over" would continue to be sold in our paranoid and lawsuit- happy society.

Chill... My comment had nothing to do with your post. I was actually referring to OP's DH concern over "stability"
    Sorry about that.  Overly sensitive I guess. I assumed your post was in response to mine.  But I agree that strollers that pose a danger to children would not be sold in this market. 
    image   image
  • I had the b agile which I think is great. I tested it out to see how smooth it is and ran with it (minus baby) and there were no issues and felt stable. Plus that stroller won't go anywhere with the brake.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"