April 2014 Moms

Novocaine with epi

I recently found out that I had gum disease. It was decided with much talk between myself my dentist and my OB that I should get it cleaned. My OB had said that Novocaine is safe as long as she doesn't use the epinephrine in it. Which she stated she would not and that she never uses Novocaine with epi while pregnant. I was told that Novocaine WITHOUT epi doesn't last as long and it would wear off sooner. Well she started on the top of my mouth and gave me shots on each side as she started. Then she did the bottom. Well the bottom was completely different. The way it felt and it wore off super fast. The top of my mouth is still numb. Also the baby went nuts after she gave me the first shots I haven't felt her kick that hard all pregnancy. Now I'm worried that she messed up and gave me regular Novocaine at first.... Am I nuts? What should I do?

Re: Novocaine with epi

• Why not just call your office and put your mind at ease? I do know that pregnancy has weird effects on everything, from the way hair dye takes to our hair, to our taste buds... so, it's possible that it's just good ol' pregnancy coming into play. I'd say give your dentist or OB a call and then put this out of your mind. 

• Why are you getting Novocain for a tooth cleaning?
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It was a 2 hour gum cleaning. It was and still is very painful.

I plan on calling tomorrow wasn't sure about calling the answering service.
  • I am in the dental field and it's very very common while using an alternative to Epi like carbocaine to have the lower jaw become normal faster than the top, the bottom is hard to get numb and stay numb, if your dentist said she wasn't using septocaine which has Epi or articaine then she most likely didn't. Also adrinaline can make the numbing wear off much quickly too, so feeling your baby go crazy could have had your adrinaline going and burning through the meds. I wouldn't fret. We have seen TONS of pregnant patients even some brave enough to come before 13 weeks which I typically don't agree with but her OB gave her a note to have cavities filled.
  • Bottom jaw is much harder to numb than the top jaw, period, so I wouldn't worry based on that. Call your OB's office if it would make you feel better but I'm sure it's fine. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"