Breastfeeding
Options

Too few calories - need snack ideas!

I am eating gluten and dairy free while breastfeeding and am 10 weeks postpartum.  I was losing weight quickly and steadily but then actually GAINED weight and have now been at a plateau for a week or two.  I think this is due to not getting enough calories as between my diet restrictions and not having time to make anything and half the time I don't even have time to eat it seems.  There's many mornings I don't get breakfast until close to 11!  Anyways I have no desire to eat crappy high calorie food like chips.  I am wondering if anyone has any snack or easy meal ideas that are dairy free?  I been eating very healthy and lean and still have about 10 lbs to lose for my prepregnancy weight and I try to eat when I'm hungry but healthy options but as a result I think I have gone into 'starvation mode' and my body is hanging onto the weight so I want to fix this!  

Re: Too few calories - need snack ideas!

• Options
    CDMay2006CDMay2006 member
    edited December 2013
    i like pp's suggestion. A healthful high fat snack is avocado with a little salt and lime. roasted squash with nuts, oatmeal with nuts and dried unsweetened fruit. i'm sick and that's all i can think of right now...
    Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • Options
    Celery and carrot sticks with PB or almond butter; guacamole with anything; trail mix with sunflower seeds, nuts, dried fruit. Also, for breakfast, make a big pot if oatmeal one morning, and then put single servings in Tupperware in the fridge. Add a little soy or almond milk, pop it in the microwave, and you've got breakfast!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know that Bob's Mill (I can't remember exact brand name) has gluten free instant oats...
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I was dairy and soy free for LO for 8 months, and definitely had a hard time getting enough calories in the beginning.  I added avocado to sandwiches a lot and did smoothies with almond milk, peanut butter, spinach and banana.  If you like egg salad... look up an egg salad recipe with avocado instead of mayo.  Surprisingly good!

I used to make batches of these muffins nearly every night, just to have something to eat right away in the morning.  Super, super easy to make.  Just mix it all in one bowl. 
    https://happyherbivore.com/recipe/apple-crisp-muffins/
    https://happyherbivore.com/recipe/blueberry-oatmeal-muffins/
    BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Awesome thanks for all the ideas! I will try some of them out :)
  • Options
    Oh, also! Throw some flax seed into your oatmeal! (Just not too much, or it will change the consistency). My sister also mixes an egg white into her oatmeal before microwaving for the extra protein, but I haven't tried it myself.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Along the oatmeal lines - I've really loved having refrigerator oatmeal ready to go in the mornings.  I take 1/3 cup each of rolled oats, milk, and greek yogurt along with honey to taste and some fruit with ~2tsp of chia seeds, shake it up and leave it in the fridge overnight.  Ready to eat in the morning with no effort!  I'm sure you can substitute in non-dairy alternatives.

Some of the flavor combinations I've tried are almond extract + mango, vanilla extract + raspberries, and banana + coco powder.  

Maybe not so ideal since it's getting to be winter time, but for me the convenience factor wins out!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    DS born 6/2013
  • Options
    hard boiled eggs are a great go-to snack for me.  i always try to have a few in the fridge for when hunger hits out of nowhere.  i usually have grapes or strawberries with them and that helps tide me over for a little while.  pepperoni has also been very satisfying.  there are some great gluten free crackers out there you could eat with it too.  also, i love prunes.  fast, easy, healthy, and they keep things regular.
    DSCN9655

in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God, in Christ Jesus, for you
    1 thessalonians 5:18
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"