April 2013 Moms

Soothie Warning

ToAoSheshaToAoShesha member
edited November 2013 in April 2013 Moms
Hello!

There was a post going around FB warning about Soothie Pacifiers (wanted to post it but now I cant find it). 

Long story short babies thumbs can get stuck in them and cut off circulation.  The story is of a mother whose baby regularly uses a soothie at night when sleeping and when she went to get him one morning she noticed his thumb in the soothie.  When she took off the soothie circulation had been cut to the finger all night and the finger was dark blue almost black.  After rushing to the hospital they were able to keep the finger but doctors reported much longer and the finger would've had to be amputated.

My LO never took a pacifier but now uses it as her favorite teething toy.  Even before this post went out I noticed she gets it stuck on her finger.  So I make sure to watch her and take it off as needed.  She is also able to get it off herself by rubbing it against her or on the carpet.  But something to keep an eye on for mamas who were unaware or leave their LO's in their crib with them.

As if we needed any more things to worry about right ;)

I attempted to post a pix of a soothie below

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Soothie Warning

• It is a good warning, however I think a lot of things that are meant for babies have a potential hazard risk if not supervised. While the pacifier thing is something one would not even consider looking into.. it just shows that even the most simple things can be dangerous.

I am glad that she caught it in time to save the finger.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My LO does this too, but he can easily take it on and off, i'm definitely going to watch him more closely though.

Baby on Board - My Blog 

Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • DD only took this soothie for about a week when she was born. Now, don't try to give her anything but a NUK. That is super scary though.
  • Have a hard time thinking this is real. If it poses such a risk I don't think it would be on the market, that is recall worthy.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • ToAoSheshaToAoShesha member
    edited November 2013

CanukMam said:
    Have a hard time thinking this is real. If it poses such a risk I don't think it would be on the market, that is recall worthy.
    I guess it could be but my LO gets her thumb stuck in hers all the time. When I go to remove it you hear the suction/seal break when I pull it. Guess it depends on how fat those little thumbs are too.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"