March 2014 Moms
Options

What does activity as tolerated mean to you?

I had some bad cramping yesterday so I called the dr thinking they might just move up my dr appt but they sent me to the hospital to be monitored for contractions (which of course turned me in to a nervous wreck!) After monitoring for a few hrs and getting an ultrasound they said everything seems okay with both babies, I just need to take it easy.
When I got my discharge instructions it said activity as tolerated and I'm not really sure what that means.. I asked the nurse but all she said was not to over do it. I'm pretty sure my work is going to need something a little less vague.. So what do you guys think?

Re: What does activity as tolerated mean to you?

• Options
    I was told that if it hurts to stop-- to avoid strenuous activity but day-to-day tasks are ok as long as I'm not in pain.
  • Options
    I think it means if you start to feel like you're doing too much, then you need to stop and rest.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It means that if you notice your over doing it and feeling pain again, then stop, drink water and rest! Your not on bed rest, but you still gotta listen to your body!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    jwls84 said:

It means that if you notice your over doing it and feeling pain again, then stop, drink water and rest! Your not on bed rest, but you still gotta listen to your body!

Yes, listen to your body. If you're in pain or short of breath while doing an activity, it means your body is not tolerating it. Only you know what your limitations are.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you guys! Luckly at work I get to mostly sit unless we get busy.. So fingers crossed for a slow day!
  • Options
    I think it means as long as you can handle it, and your body isn't telling you to stop, then you are okay to do it.

BFP #1 10/02/06, EDD 5/1/07 Natural Miscarriage 1 week after BFP

BFP #2 3/28/07, EDD 11/19/07 Natural Miscarriage 2 weeks after BFP

BFP #3 1/16/11, 1st U/S - 1/28/11 HR 132bpm, Missed Miscarriage- 2/28/11, D&C 3/8/11 

March 2011, diagnosed with MTHFR gene mutation

"Dear Lord, I would have loved to have held my babies on my lap and tell them about You, but since I didn't get the chance, would You please hold them on Your lap and tell them about me?

BFP #4 6/26/13, EDD 3/8/14, Delivered @ 40w6d
    Bethany Elizabeth born on 3/14/14 @ 6:48am weighing almost 8lbs 1oz and measuring 20 1/2 inches.

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    snow527 said:
    I'm a nurse. Activity as tolerated is the "best" general phrase given at discharge to everyone about activity levels. It's a cover your ass term. But essentially they want you to do what PPs have said: stop when your body tells you, don't over do it. It's not a restriction.
    Exactly what Snow, and all the PPs, have said. If your work requires a note before you can return, just call the OB. They probably write 50 of 'em a day, it's NBD. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"