Working Moms

How much do you pay your occassional sitter?

I'm looking into finding a back up sitter for sick & snow days this winter. I'm looking on care.com. The rates seems to be between $10-$25/hr. His daycare center is $50/day, which is $5/hr. What's reasonable? If I need a back up sitter for 10 hours and she charges $25/hr - that's more than I make in a day..........

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary

Re: How much do you pay your occassional sitter?

• LoCarbLoCarb member
    edited November 2013
    It depends on your COLA. At a minimum $10 for one child. I pay $12 for 2 kiddos (MCOL) and on short notice more.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We pay $12/hour for two kids, 3 and 1. The only time we use a babysitter is in the evenings past 7pm or so.  DD2 goes to bed at 8pm and DD1 is down around 9pm so the babysitter gets to relax for the bulk of the time.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am also in a MCOLA and also pay $12/hr for 2 kids.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Sorry, cola? mcola? Don't visit this board too too often.

Anniversary
  • LoCarbLoCarb member
    edited November 2013
    COLA-Cost of Living Area
    L-low
    M-medium
    H-high

• We pay $13/hour for back-up care for one kid; we use an agency. Our regular sitters run anywhere from $8 (high school junior) to $15 (med student).
  • We pay $10/hour. 1 kid, 11 months old. Only use a sitter in the evening, very occasionally, and baby is asleep most of the time. If ths is a regular or more fixed part time thing (i.e. two days a week, etc), I think you could negotiate to more like $8/hour (for one kid).

I'm in a MCOLA.

• We pay $15/hr. Ouch. HCOLA.
  • About $12 an hour. Same for one or two kids (i.e. evening or if one is home sick).
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • *sparky**sparky* member
    edited November 2013

I have never used emergency back-up care, but I would guess those rates may be a little higher than the average rates for an in-home sitter since they have to be available last minute.

When we had a nanny we paid $12/hr for one kid.  $25/hr seems steep but that depends on COL, as someone else pointed out.

We are in MD, which I would say is MCOL.

ETA:  I have been browsing on care.com for nannies since I am due with baby #2, and I did see one sitter who posted her rates as $40-$50/hr, which I know is completely outrageous.  People can ask for whatever they want on there, but it doesn't make it reasonable for your area.  If most are closer to the $10-$15 range, then that is probably the more reasonable rate.

• $10/hour, 2 kids.

We also usually leave money for pizza, and "round up" when considering the number of hours.  We also consider the sitter's drive/travel time into the total number of hours.

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimageimage

• MCOL area.  We pay $12-14/hour.  We pay very well for our area, but our sitters will both jump if we need them last minute.  I think you get what you pay for. 

I would never pay a sitter under minimum wage to watch my child. 

• My sitter is great.  We pay $15 for a 4 hour chunk for one, and $25 for the two. Apparently my area has the highest childcare costs in the country, but she is a SAHM, so she charges significantly less.  I wouldn't have been able to afford to work if we had to use a daycare in our area.
  • $17-$20 per hour depending on time of day.
  • I pay $10 per hour. I live in the Midwest, so it's relatively lcol. I have had a darn hard time keeping a sitter, as we only need one very infrequently.
  • We typically figure $10/hour but it usually ends up being more than that because the ATM only gives out $20s so we typically round up. 5 hours usually ends up being $60 pay. It's also pretty easy for her because we either put our daughter to sleep before she gets there or at most she just has to watch her for an hour before bed.
  • I pay $10-$12 for a regular babysitter who has experience.

For backup care I paid $12/hr PLUS a $30 finders fee for the nanny service we connected with.

• katiegal said:
    We typically figure $10/hour but it usually ends up being more than that because the ATM only gives out $20s so we typically round up. 5 hours usually ends up being $60 pay. It's also pretty easy for her because we either put our daughter to sleep before she gets there or at most she just has to watch her for an hour before bed.
    We do the same.
  • average pay is 12/hr for occasional babysitters, nannies make between 23-25k yr. We live in Atlanta Ga. GL.
    Michelle
    Blythe Elizabeth is here March 27,2012
  • Some employers (corporate companies) have emergency childcare options. You have to call an 800 number usually. 

Do you have any Boys & Girls Clubs in the area? The ones in our area are really nice and its usually like, $15 a day for each kid.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    "simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
  • HCOL.  20 to 25 per hour.  But I live in NYC/NJ area. Daycare here for 1 baby runs over 30 grand a year.
  • Our date night sitter is someone we already knew in another setting, before we were even looking for a sitter.  She asked for $5 per hour.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"