January 2014 Moms
Options

Blood pressure general question

peanutmusepeanutmuse member
edited November 2013 in January 2014 Moms
I feel like kind of a PW today. I barely ever start posts, and I've started 3 today. Ha. This is something that I have been wanting to ask for a few weeks, though.

At what point would you start to worry about your blood pressure? I think I'm naturally laid back about it, but I see a lot of people going on bed rest or taking trips to L&D for numbers that are lower than mine. It surprises me every time for some reason.

Maybe I'm too jaded about it, though. I have been dealing with hypertension on and off for the past ten years. What I mean by that is that I go through phases of normal BP, and have bouts of HBP that can last for months or years, but it always seems to regulate itself again. So I go on and off meds.

If you don't have protein in your urine or a lot of swelling, is an occasional single BP reading lower than the pre-hypertensive range (140/90) really something to be concerned about? Of course, I wouldn't expect anyone to ignore a truly high BP reading. So that's the reason for my question -- what number would cause you concern?

This is not for the sake of judgment because everyone has to do what they feel is best for themselves and their babies, and I respect that. I'm just genuinely curious -- it's a survey of sorts.

ETA: To clarify, I'm not asking what numbers people think I should be worried about. I want to know what numbers YOU worry about. Because my perspective is one of dealing with hypertension, I want to understand the perspective of those who have not dealt with hypertension.

Re: Blood pressure general question

• Options
    nbbride06nbbride06 member
    edited November 2013
    You know what's funny?  The nurse and OB never even tell me what the number is, just tell me it's fine.  But I happened to see the numbers when I went to the perinatologist for my growth ultrasound a couple weeks ago and it was like 130/85 (or something like that) and they said it was fine.  And my BP is usually on the low side when not pregnant.  When I was pregnant with DD, my OB did get concerned at 39 weeks when my BP was 140/90 and had me come back in 3 days later rather than waiting a week.  Turns out it was just a funky number since we have a BP monitor at home and I took it several times over those 3 days and it was always normal.   

ETA: I realize I didn't even answer your question.  I am very low key about it.  I'm not concerned unless my OB is concerned.  And I don't take my blood pressure at home normally so I wouldn't know anything unless it was at one of my appointments.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    BFP #1 3/27/10 - mmc discovered 5/20/10 at 11w2d - d&c 5/21/10
    BFP #2 11/6/10 - EDD 7/19/11 - Beta #1 @ 13dpo, 104 - Beta #2 @ 20dpo, 3400s
    BFP #3 4/24/13 - EDD 1/8/14 - Beta #1 @ ?, 33 - Beta #2 @ 4 days later, 260
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am generally laid back about it too, when I had pneumonia last year it was the first time that I had to actually really pay attention to it.  Today mine was 154/84 which for me is really really high.  I am starting to notice that I feel off today and that I think its staying high and not going down, which is a huge cause of concern for me.  I did have protein in my urine today and I am getting headaches.....but I have NO swelling, in fact I am having issues keeping my rings on, I have not gained any weight, in fact I have been losing weight, and no blurred vision.  So really it could be anything, but for the first time in this pregnancy I am feeling stressed about it...I think its just my AMA but I think that just my way of talking my way through it. 
    BabyName TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker
    image""> image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think that given your history, it makes sense that you wouldn't be worried like others without your history may be. I also don't typically believe that one single high BP (unless crazy high) is cause for major concern. I think it's about a pattern and what is normal for that person over a period of time.

• Options
    To answer my own question... :)

When my BP is "normal" it usually runs around 110/70.

It has been running around 135/85 with occasional higher readings (one was up to 160/100) for the past few weeks. The spikes are brief, though, and come down if I take it easy.

If I was consistently getting numbers higher than 140/90 at home, that's when I would start to be concerned.
  • Options
    To answer my own question... :)

When my BP is "normal" it usually runs around 110/70.

It has been running around 135/85 with occasional higher readings (one was up to 160/100) for the past few weeks. The spikes are brief, though, and come down if I take it easy.

If I was consistently getting numbers higher than 140/90 at home, that's when I would start to be concerned.
    I was told that the magic number to look out for is 140/90.....One of my numbers is over and one is under, but its creeping up =( 

It seems you have a good handle on your situation since you know what to be looking for and you know how to get it to come down!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    image""> image
  • Options
    @peanutmuse. I don't think you are jaded about it. I just think you are a hell of a lot more aware and you know what is normal for you and if it's not you know what to do. You are educated. I have never had bp issues. Mine prior to pregnancy has always been 120/80. Completely text book. My bp at my doc appts during pregnancy have ran super low for me. 110/69. But still no concerns. If I didn't have pre e with my last child I wouldn't think twice about my bp. But for me anything over 130/85 make me nervous......not call doc....but nervous....only bc mine has been text book my whole life. My moms in the other hand runs high! So normal for her is 140/95. I didn't call my doc last weekend till the top number hit the 140's and the bottom number was over 90. But my doc told me limits and when to call bc I have to check my bp when I feel bad or have headaches just as a precaution
  • Options
    mcg1119 said:
    Since you have a history of issues with hypertension, there are normal ranges, and ranges that are normal for you. I think for the most part, if your doctor isn't worried, and there's no other symptoms it isn't a problem.
    @mcg1119 -- this isn't completely accurate. The 140/90 is a standard for pre-hypertension.
  • Options
    Well here is my perspective as a pharmacist-to-be. Per guidelines, if a patient is on antihypertensives then the goal BP is 140/90 or less. So to me, 140/90 isn't really that high. It's almost "normal" for a lot of my patients. Given your history, I think it would take a pretty high number before I got concerned. Now if someone has always had low or normal BP and it was above 140/90, I would be giving my OB a call.
  • Options
    I think it really depends on what your normal BP readings are. Yea, if you're usually around 120/80, I don't think one reading in the 140/90 range is something to be concerned about. But when your BP has consistently been around 105/60 and it jumps to 130/80, after being slightly more elevated at a previous appt, I can see the cause for concern.

I think my MW was more concerned than I was today, in all honesty. But then I googled and freaked myself out a little. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP #1 8/1/11, MMC 10/5/11, D&C 11/1/11
     BFP #2 5/28/13, EDD 1/17/14. Elliott - 12/31/13
  • Options
    peanutmusepeanutmuse member
    edited November 2013
    cyndilouwho77 said: (Edited to trim quote tree)
    It seems you have a good handle on your situation since you know what to be looking for and you know how to get it to come down!
    @cyndilouwho77, I definitely do have a good handle on my own numbers and what to look for. I was just genuinely curious about others who don't deal with hypertension look for in themselves, so that I would understand when reading those posts.
  • Options
    mrspharmdmrspharmd member
    edited November 2013

But when your BP has consistently been around 105/60 and it jumps to 130/80, after being slightly more elevated at a previous appt, I can see the cause for concern.

I wouldn't be concerned if it was 130/80 at all no matter how high of a jump.

BP can fluctuate drastically. One moment it could be 140/90, then you wait 5 minutes it could be something totally different. I wouldn't get concerned unless I was consistently getting readings that were greater than 140/90 for a few hours (without any other pre-e symptoms of course).
  • Options
    I think you're just more aware of what is normal for you, and a lot of people really aren't. I'm aware that my normal is 100/60 so when a medical assistant tells me my BP is 126/84 or something similar and they say that is great in my head I'm thinking "yeah you need to check that again"...but thats just me and knowing how difficult it is to take an accurate blood pressure in the 2 seconds the typical person in an office actually takes one- maybe I'm a snot. 

If my blood pressure were actually 140/90 I would be very concerned..because that is never my blood pressure. But my BP is also very influenced by nerves and even just being at an appointment (especially with a grumpy 1 year old) can make mine go up....if they ever get worried I do tell them that and they will usually come back a few minutes later after I've had some time to relax. But it really depends on the person. I think you're not concerned because you know you and you are aware of your history....I think a lot of people on here probably have no clue what their BP normally is and anything over 120/80 is concerning...especially to hormonal pregnant women:) 

• Options
    But when your BP has consistently been around 105/60 and it jumps to 130/80, after being slightly more elevated at a previous appt, I can see the cause for concern.
    I wouldn't be concerned if it was 130/80 at all no matter how high of a jump. BP can fluctuate drastically. One moment it could be 140/90, then you wait 5 minutes it could be something totally different. I wouldn't get concerned unless I was consistently getting readings that were greater than 140/90 for a few hours (without any other pre-e symptoms of course).

---

I was going more along the lines of it being an elevating pattern. At my appt two weeks ago, my BP was higher than normal. Now, it's gone up even more. 

I was answering based on BP readings only. I do have pitting edema and vision disturbances. So, I get the concern from my MW. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP #1 8/1/11, MMC 10/5/11, D&C 11/1/11
     BFP #2 5/28/13, EDD 1/17/14. Elliott - 12/31/13
  • Options

I wouldn't be concerned if it was 130/80 at all no matter how high of a jump.

BP can fluctuate drastically. One moment it could be 140/90, then you wait 5 minutes it could be something totally different. I wouldn't get concerned unless I was consistently getting readings that were greater than 140/90 for a few hours (without any other pre-e symptoms of course).

---

I was going more along the lines of it being an elevating pattern. At my appt two weeks ago, my BP was higher than normal. Now, it's gone up even more. 

I was answering based on BP readings only. I do have pitting edema and vision disturbances. So, I get the concern from my MW. 

I see, that makes more sense. I agree. Continually trending up would concern me also.

• Options

aneubecker said:
    I see, that makes more sense. I agree. Continually trending up would concern me also.
    That's good to know. Thank you.
  • Options
    LabPupLuvLabPupLuv member
    edited November 2013
    From what I understand, there isn't a magic number or even a standard number they use to determine it can be high enough for pre-e. Basically, it just needs to jump enough relative to their regular readings very quickly to be of concern. Some women with low bp who consistently measured low, like 109/65 or lower, who all of a sudden in 3rd tri are at 130/85, may find themselves in L&D. I had high bp before pregnancy but have had readings as low as 120/65 in the doctor's office, where it's normally higher than at home (white coat syndrome). At home it's been even lower, like 112/59. It started to gradually rise in the last two weeks and when I saw my doctor it was 146/100. My doctor said people with naturally high bp will more often than not get to go off meds in 1st and 2nd tri, but in 3rd tri bp can be higher than pre-pregnancy numbers! Unfortunately, there is a connection between high bp and the development of pre-e as time goes on so we need to take additional steps. For me, I have to see the doctor every week instead of every other week. I had to take another 24 hour pee sample. I am back on meds and I have another U/S Monday to make sure LO is not measuring small (meaning the placenta would be affected), etc. Fun times, fun times... Of course, now that I am freaked out about a high number at the doctor's office, I will get a high number! LOL. Ask your doctor what number for you would concern them.
    imageimage
    Mama of boys, Landon (Jan 14) and Harrison (Aug 15).  

• Options
    I don't think I've ever had high blood pressure when tested. I'm almost consistently 112/60. My blood pressure sometimes drops while in labor, though.
    ********************************************************************************************************

DS1 born 11/3/06   *   DS2 born 3/29/08   *   DD born 3/15/11  

Scarlett Mae born 1/14/14                         Our family is now complete!

• Options
    I've always had really low blood pressure. At my last l&d trip the nurse made a note because it was 140/89, which could still be considered normal but was high for me.

That being said, unless I was having headaches and swelling I wouldn't be concerned. But that's just me. 
    __________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers  
  • Options
    I know nothing about BP and I don't check my own. It only gets checked at the doctors.

That's how I feel about dizzy spells/fainting. I get confused when people are worried about dizzy spells. I have to remind myself that it's abnormal to some people.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    cyndilouwho77 said: (Edited to trim quote tree)
    @cyndilouwho77, I definitely do have a good handle on my own numbers and what to look for. I was just genuinely curious about others who don't deal with hypertension look for in themselves, so that I would understand when reading those posts.
    @peanutmuse I would assume that "most" people who are posting about their bp usually dont have a clue as for what to look for and or really know their personal range for bp on a daily basis.  I would figure that if a Dr. is telling them that there is a danger that is the first time in which its really been called to their attention, hence posting a concern. 

I am learning to tell without testing on my own by how I generally feel.  My heart feels like its racing and I am starting to get headaches and I know that my bp has gone up and I need to sit down and relax.  Its going to be a learning experience for me, cause taking it easy is not my MO at all!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    image""> image
  • Options
    LabPupLuv said:
    From what I understand, there isn't a magic number or even a standard number they use to determine it can be high enough for pre-e. Basically, it just needs to jump enough relative to their regular readings very quickly to be of concern. Some women with low bp who consistently measured low, like 109/65 or lower, who all of a sudden in 3rd tri are at 130/85, may find themselves in L&D. I had high bp before pregnancy but have had readings as low as 120/65 in the doctor's office, where it's normally higher than at home (white coat syndrome). At home it's been even lower, like 112/59. It started to gradually rise in the last two weeks and when I saw my doctor it was 146/100. My doctor said people with naturally high bp will more often than not get to go off meds in 1st and 2nd tri, but in 3rd tri bp can be higher than pre-pregnancy numbers! Unfortunately, there is a connection between high bp and the development of pre-e as time goes on so we need to take additional steps. For me, I have to see the doctor every week instead of every other week. I had to take another 24 hour pee sample. I am back on meds and I have another U/S Monday to make sure LO is not measuring small (meaning the placenta would be affected), etc. Fun times, fun times... Of course, now that I am freaked out about a high number at the doctor's office, I will get a high number! LOL. Ask your doctor what number for you would concern them.
    @LabPupLuv, I did not ask for my own sake, which I clarified in my post. For me, the meds could control my BP, so I am aware that the things that I (and my dr) would need to look for are the protein, swelling and other pre-e symptoms (headaches, vision changes, etc.). But that's why I also wanted to leave those things out of the equation and ask for people who don't have hypertension problems, what number concerns them.

Your diastolic number when you were having issues would concern even me, if it hovered around 100 for a few hours.
  • Options
    @peanutmuse - doh, I'm sorry! I'm so tired... Never mind me.
    imageimage
    Mama of boys, Landon (Jan 14) and Harrison (Aug 15).  

• Options
    LabPupLuv said:
    @peanutmuse - doh, I'm sorry! I'm so tired... Never mind me.
    No worries @LabPupLuv. It was a little caveat at the end because I think other people thought that's what I was asking too. :)
  • Options
    I read something that said 30 points over your baseline systolic and 15 points over diastolic should be a check in point. So based on my BP I watch for 125/85 - if I saw that and had increased swelling, headache etc...I would watch it for a bit and call. If not I would send an email to the OB nurse for guidance.
    When I was at the ER on Monday by BP was 117/68 and the ER doctor told me that was higher than they would like me to be so I started to worry.  I went to see my doctor yesterday and she told me that she is not worried unless it is 140/90...so that is what I'm going with.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @peanutmuse - Completely unrelated,  but I didnt want to start a new thread in case I missed an update...How are you feeling? I thought about you this morning when I peed (in a completely not weird way). I only had one kidney stone during my last pregnancy and it was awful. I can't even imagine what you're going through :(

• Options
    @peanutmuse - Completely unrelated,  but I didnt want to start a new thread in case I missed an update...How are you feeling? I thought about you this morning when I peed (in a completely not weird way). I only had one kidney stone during my last pregnancy and it was awful. I can't even imagine what you're going through :(
    @BuckeyeMommy4 -- doing ok. Passing a stone on the left side today, I can feel it -- but other than that, just plugging through. My right side is still obstructed, of course. I'm waiting to talk to my OB today and then calling the urologist either this afternoon or tomorrow morning to schedule the surgery to see what's causing the obstruction and to place the stent in my ureter.
  • Options
    @BuckeyeMommy4 -- doing ok. Passing a stone on the left side today, I can feel it -- but other than that, just plugging through. My right side is still obstructed, of course. I'm waiting to talk to my OB today and then calling the urologist either this afternoon or tomorrow morning to schedule the surgery to see what's causing the obstruction and to place the stent in my ureter.
    Well good luck! I really hope you can get some relief. I'll be thinking of you.

• Options
    BKau said:

I get concerned when mine is 120/80, which I realize is a completely normal BP. But MY normal is 90/60, (weird) so for me personally 120/80 is high.

This. Though mine has been 130/80s the past couple appts and they aren't concerned. Maybe because I had gestational hypertension last time? I don't have any pre e symptoms though or I would be questioning them.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Missed MC 11/17/10 Our little miracle born 1/27/12 Natural MC 7/19/12 Missed MC 1/22/13 Our family is complete DD 12/27/13
    Abnormal ANA, PAI-1 4G/4G homozygous

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Since I already responded to this, I just had an appointment yesterday and now have a real answer. My bp is usually 112/60 ish, but yesterday was 130/69 (or 79) and we will keep an eye on things at this point. If in 2 weeks my bp isn't down, then we're going to talk.
    ********************************************************************************************************

DS1 born 11/3/06   *   DS2 born 3/29/08   *   DD born 3/15/11  

Scarlett Mae born 1/14/14                         Our family is now complete!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"