Working Moms

No phones at daycare - how much would this bother you?

The phone system died at daycare early last week and they are "hoping to have new phones up and running by the end of this week". So pretty much 2 weeks where I can't easily reach my kids if I need to phone them in an emergency. Nor can the teachers quickly make a call from the room in an emergency, unless from their own cell phones.  It's a large center, with 6 classrooms.

The director's line works, but the center is open 11 hours a day and she's not there the whole time (though my kids are). There's not much I can do... I talked to the director and she was getting quotes and working as "fast as she could".  The odds of an emergency are of course slim, but the whole thing still makes me a bit uneasy.  

How annoyed/concerned/etc. would you be?  Again, there's nothing I can do about it, just curious if others would also feel the same. For those that can't see my siggy, I have a 3 month old and a 3 year old. 
imageimage Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: No phones at daycare - how much would this bother you?

• This wouldn't bother me too much as most everyone probably has a cell phone that they'd use in an emergency.  Now if they drag their feet on putting in a new system, then I'd be annoyed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

Sunidaze[Deleted User]
  • I'd definitely be annoyed. But in this day and age, really everyone has a cell phone.  So I'd probably just make sure they have an emergency plan in place
    [Deleted User]
  • I wouldn't be worried too much.  Everyone has cell phones, and I doubt the teachers would hesitate to use their personal phones in an emergency.  I've never had to call DC with an emergency, so I can't imagine the situation where you couldn't just leave a message or show up to get your kids and deal with them scrambling to get the kids ready if it's not their normal time.

If there is a problem with the phone system, won't they figure out a way to cover the one phone that works when the director isn't in?  Can't they bring in a cordless phone so one of the teachers can always have the phone when the director isn't available in case a parent has to call in?

image image image
  • As long as there was some sort of plan in place to use cell phones in the meantime, I wouldn't be too worried. 

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Pregnancy Ticker 

• Personally this wouldn't bother me.  I know the teachers have cell phones and can easily reach me if needed.
  • QueSrah said:

I wouldn't be worried too much.  Everyone has cell phones, and I doubt the teachers would hesitate to use their personal phones in an emergency.  I've never had to call DC with an emergency, so I can't imagine the situation where you couldn't just leave a message or show up to get your kids and deal with them scrambling to get the kids ready if it's not their normal time.

If there is a problem with the phone system, won't they figure out a way to cover the one phone that works when the director isn't in?  Can't they bring in a cordless phone so one of the teachers can always have the phone when the director isn't available in case a parent has to call in?

You can't leave a message - the mailbox is down too.  No one covers for the director. I've tried to call (just to check on my infant who just started there, and didn't do bottle feeding much before now), and no one answered.  They don't have a cordless phone set up.

I work 45 min. away from daycare, so one emergency that came to mind is if I got stuck in traffic.  I guess they would just call me if I didn't show up by closing time.
  • It would bother me a little, and make it seem like the center doesn't have its act together.  But like pp's said, I'm sure all the teachers have cell phones.  I would ask for someone's cell phone number that you could have on hand to reach the center in case of an emergency (or just to check up on your kid).

• mb314 said:
    It would bother me a little, and make it seem like the center doesn't have its act together.  But like pp's said, I'm sure all the teachers have cell phones.  I would ask for someone's cell phone number that you could have on hand to reach the center in case of an emergency (or just to check up on your kid).
    One of the infant room teacher's did give me her number, and I ended up calling her when she was already off work. I felt so bad!! She's super sweet and I know she didn't care, but I still felt a bit bad.

Hopefully the phones are back up this week for sure :o)
  • I wouldn't be bothered. Phones go down sometimes. Everyone has cell phones these days. Just ask the director or one of the teachers for their number in case you need to get in touch with them during the day.
  • You can't leave a message - the mailbox is down too.  No one covers for the director. I've tried to call (just to check on my infant who just started there, and didn't do bottle feeding much before now), and no one answered.  They don't have a cordless phone set up.

I work 45 min. away from daycare, so one emergency that came to mind is if I got stuck in traffic.  I guess they would just call me if I didn't show up by closing time.
    It worry me too much. Like PP's said, everyone has a cellphone, and we're past the days of people hoarding their minutes, so I doubt any of the DCP's would hesitate to call you if something came up.

And rest easy about your baby and bottle feeding dilemmas. If your baby is having a hard time with the bottle and there's nothing they can do to assuage things, they'll give you a call. They don't like to hear a baby suffer any more than you do.

I regularly show up later than normal to pick up LO. I'm usually there by 3:45, but there are days that I'm not in until 5 or so, and it's never been a problem. If you're really concerned, ask for the DCP in your room's cell phone number - and make sure you don't use it after the lines are back up and running.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would want the cell phone number to the person in my kid's room. Other than that, I would be ok.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    bearsbearsbears
  • I never called the daycares my kids went to.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I would be a little uneasy and would definitely want someone's cell phone number.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image

NerdyLucy
  • I would want the cell phone number for someone on each shift.

Meaning usually when I drop my child off there is the morning teacher, then there's a swing shift teacher who comes in and joins the morning teacher and is there with the afternoon teacher during the busiest times, and then the afternoon teacher is usually there at closing for a short while by herself.

So for my class I'd want 3 cell phone numbers. I probably wouldn't ever call but then again my kid is 2 now. They've had to call me (DS fell), not the other way around, but still. Safe vs. sorry.

\image  image

NerdyLucy[Deleted User]
  • I have one or two of the teachers cell that my son is in there room. I never abuse it but it is nice to have. Are you close with any of the teachers? Everyone has cell phones

• An E-plan needs to be in place and cell phone numbers need to be given to parents. Even if the school buys pre-paid phones for the front desk assistant that will be there all the time.

In the meantime, ask your LO's teacher if you can have her cell for emergencies only.
    Mommy of two girls: DD1 4/14/9 DD2 4/15/11
  • I am really surprised their state licensing agent allows the center to stay open without giving out a number to parents (even if that is a cell phone number.) I would ask the director for a contact person and number for sure!

MSUMands
  • All the previous posters may be "ok" with the daycare not having a valid phone system, but I can assure you that it is illegal to operate a child care centre without a working phone system with 911 access.  When you call 911 from a cell phone your location is not automatically assumed, when you call 911 from a land line they know where you are calling from immediately.  You need to be firmer with the centre and let them know that it is not safe to not have a working phone system, cell phones or not.  Also - the teachers should not be answering their personal cell phones while they are working - this would bother me too!  There is no reason why the phones couldn't be fixed next day.  I would give them one more day and then call the licensing board.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    mainerocksBeeGirl2
  • Well, glad I'm not the only "crazy" one who wasn't too happy about such a situation. As of Friday afternoon, new phones are now installed. Phew! 
  • It would bother me that they seem to have no backup plan.  How easy is it, really, to give out an alternate cell phone # to reach the director and one for the person covering for the director?

I had the cell phone # of one of the teacher's in the infant room because she was also one of our baby sitters.  She would call me from her cell phone occasionally if they needed to get in touch with me during the day.  So if there phone system went out it wouldn't bother me.

• I would absolutely make sure you had a cell phone number of a person to call that would be there the entire time your kids would AND a backup.  If they are not comfortable giving out any of their cell phone numbers, that would make me really really uncomfortable.  If they are, I would feel ok about it.  Like PP said though, as long as they don't drag their feet getting the new system in.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards