September 2012 Moms

Will you/do you spank your kids?

fireflygirl12fireflygirl12
500 Love Its 1000 Comments Name Dropper First Anniversary
edited November 2013 in September 2012 Moms
I apologize if this has been discussed recently, but I've been MIA and couldn't find anything.

Will you/do you spank your kids?

This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Re: Will you/do you spank your kids?

• I voted yes, but I want to clarify that I have on occassion spanked my older son. It is an absolute last resort and I have only had to do it a handful of times. I haven't spanked my s12 baby yet and wouldn't even think about introducing that until 2 or older, once I know he is capable of learning right from wrong (in small scale situations) and once I have introduced time-outs and other methods of discipline first.

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    PortermansWifeyL8kissie
  • Special snowflake. I don't plan on it, but I'll never say never. I was spanked only a couple of times when I was a child. Once when I stuck staples in an electric socket after specifically being told not to multiple times in the days before (I was 5), and once when I ran out in front of oncoming traffic for the third time in a week (I was 4). I never did either again. So, while I don't plan on using it as standard discipline, I'm not counting it out in an extreme situation when she's older.
    dimples12L8kissie
  • I voted yes and agree with Holly.

• I voted yes. I am not spanking yet though.
    imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm not planning on it, but I can't say I will never spank. I really don't see a situation when we would spank, but who knows what will happen down the road.
                   Image and video hosting by TinyPic                                           

• I was just talking about this with DH. When I was little, my mom used to hit us with a wooden spoon or a belt. She regrets it now. She did what her mother did. So, remembering that and knowing how traumatic it was, I will be careful with how I discipline LO. 
    A pat on the butt? Maybe. In fact I have patted LO on occasion when she just keeps going back to something - like the hot glass on our fireplace. It's more like a "move along!" kinda pat, not a spank, per say.
    A pull-down-the-pants smack on bare skin? Never. Nevernever. 
    Me: 27 DH: 28
    Diagnosis: PCOS, irregular cycles, old lady eggs. DH is fine.
    Started TTC in January 2010. BFP December 25, 2011 between IF appts. 
    DD born August 31, 2012
    Began TTC again in Jan. 2013. 
    Four rounds of Clomid - BFN
    Fifth round of Clomid September/Oct - cancelled
    HSG scheduled for Oct. 30

image image image
    IndigoVader
  • I would as the last resort/extreme cases. Right now I threaten the spoon and it works without having to use it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Now? Heck no. Someday? Maybe
    (Formerly MamaBearKendy)
  • plus12012plus12012
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Love Its 1000 Comments Name Dropper
    edited November 2013
    I voted yes. But it would only be in extreme circumstances. My parents spanked but only in situations where we were doing something that could hurt us. My Mom thought it would help us identify discomfort /pain with doing an action that would cause pain and would keep us from doing it again.

• SpoofLeJonesSpoofLeJones
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Love Its Second Anniversary
    edited November 2013
    SS- probably not, but still undecided.

ETA I think everyone has a different idea of what spanking means. Is it a tap on the butt? Over the knee? Bare butt? With a belt? A paddle? I can't imagine doing a lot of those things and they aren't what I have in mind when I say that I am undecided about it.

For me, spanking meant fully clothed, by hand, and a conversation about why I was spanked and what I could learn from the situation. That is what I am undecided about for my family.
    IndigoVaderorigamipoppyUnemalli84
  • I just couldn't imagine ever spanking Evelyn. I have given her the pat on the butt like PP mentioned. I was spanked with a wooden spoon, and bare-handed, and both my parents regret it and urge my brother and me not to spank.

Missed miscarriage 9/2011 at 6w2d
    Evelyn Adeline born 8/19/2012 36w1d via emergency c/s due to severe pre-e
    BFP #3 due 3/26/2015 m/c at 6w2d
  • I was just talking about this with DH. When I was little, my mom used to hit us with a wooden spoon or a belt. She regrets it now. She did what her mother did. So, remembering that and knowing how traumatic it was, I will be careful with how I discipline LO. 
    A pat on the butt? Maybe. In fact I have patted LO on occasion when she just keeps going back to something - like the hot glass on our fireplace. It's more like a "move along!" kinda pat, not a spank, per say.

1) OMG at your new siggy

2) I'm sorry you have those memories :(

3) I remember when my dad would say I'd have 3 spankings (bare butt, bent over the bed) and he'd break a paddle on the first spanking so he'd make me sit in his room while he went to the basement and carved another one out with his saw and a piece of plywood, then come back upstairs.

Nope, I will never create that kind of terror in my child.

Tessa: 10/28/10                    Nora 8/30/12                            Reid 8/6/14

1) OMG at your new siggy

2) I'm sorry you have those memories :(

3) I remember when my dad would say I'd have 3 spankings (bare butt, bent over the bed) and he'd break a paddle on the first spanking so he'd make me sit in his room while he went to the basement and carved another one out with his saw and a piece of plywood, then come back upstairs.

Nope, I will never create that kind of terror in my child.

OMG, I'm sorry. I think that's just mean. I can't even imagine how afraid DS would be if I told him to sit in one spot while I went off to find something to use to hit him.

• I've never spanked either of my kids, but I've been tempted with DS1.  When I feel like that, I remove myself from the situation so I can calm down a bit.  I was only spanked a handful of times.  I can't say that I'll never do it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I voted yes but no spanking here yet. I won't use it as the end all be all but if an action warrents it then yes. I wasn't spanked a lot when I was younger but if I was I knew it was for good reason and wouldn't do the action again.

• I'm just curious what action warrants a spanking? Hitting? Running?
                                        Tessa: 10/28/10                    Nora 8/30/12                            Reid 8/6/14
  • I'm interested by all the parents who say they regret spanking.  Mine spanked on rare, rare occasions (after trying other things and I kept pushing) and they have said a few times that they don't regret that parenting choice at all.  And I don't either--I was a really well-behaved kid, and I I firmly believe that their strict discipline when I was young (of which spanking was only a small, but effective, part) shaped me into a responsible young adult.  

I'm actually kind of ok with my kid fearing me.  Just a little.  A tad Machiavellian, I guess.

SpoofLeJonesPokedotIndigoVaderUnem
    To me, it's not a certain action, but direct disobedience or lying.  As in, when a child is told "Do not run" and then deliberately tests that directive by running anyway, repeatedly.  I'm not saying that's an instance I would definitely spank, but that's the circumstance I feel the sternest discipline is warranted.

the few times I have spanked Keagan were dangerous situations. example He kept running into the road. We had a talk about it, he did it again, he went in time out, did it again, we had another talk and timeout he did it again. (laughing and smiling each time he did it) he got a warning that if he did it again he would get a spanking. he did it again. he got a swat on the butt. trust me, it was nothing abusive, but I will tell you that was over a year ago and he has never run in the road again.
    I should also add that typically he is VERY good about roads/ parking lots and situations like that, he was just being a complete ass that day.
    I would never spank my child for hitting, that is counter productive to me.

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image

LL I'm assuming this was a question for me. I can't really say a specific action. It will be more in the moment but if I were to repeat myself several times and the action was still being done then yes a spank might happen. It wouldn't be like "Oh you hit your sister so now I'll spank you!" It's more of a dangerous situation like running out into the road or sticking fingers in light sockets kind of thing. I won't be spanking anytime soon however. When he actually realizes that this action aren't allowed yet he keeps pushing the boundaries, then I can justify it.

• I just feel like there is always a discipline that is more effective than hitting your child.

MRoxy0628[Deleted User]fireflygirl12KellersPrag
  • I just feel like there is always a discipline that is more effective than hitting your child.

I agree.

Though, I don't like calling it 'hitting your child.' I know that's a UO around TB, but it has a more negative connotation than what spanking SHOULD be, if it's used.  Like I said, I have no plans to ever spank. But I do think there's a difference.
    SpoofLeJonesUnemMrsKipper

I agree.

Though, I don't like calling it 'hitting your child.' I know that's a UO around TB, but it has a more negative connotation than what spanking SHOULD be, if it's used.  Like I said, I have no plans to ever spank. But I do think there's a difference.

No, I agree. But for me and MOST others, it was hitting or whipping, not a swat or a tap or a spank.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards