Health & Exercise

Planks during third trimester

Hi everyone. I'm in my third trimester (31 weeks) now, and have been working out regularly throughout (5-6x/week for about an hour). I do some prenatal specific DVDs sometimes, but mostly just modify regular DVDs which have upper body segments with some plank exercises. I would say plank section alone is about 5 minutes, maybe less. It's getting a bit tougher to do all the moves, but I can still do them. Is there a time that I should stop doing plank exercises? Or can I continue till the end as long as I don't feel too uncomfortable?

Re: Planks during third trimester

• I continued to do planks throughout my entire pregnancy and was fine. They just got harder like you said. This is pretty much the only abdominal work you can do though and I think it's beneficial to continue to work your core during pregnancy.
  • I did them
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I teach group fitness and one of the common pregnancy options for an alternative to regular crunches/ being on your back is a plank.  Just make sure to come down to your knees if your form suffers/ you get too fatigued.  Horse stance with arm/ opposite leg extensions is also good.
  • Did them the whole time. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• You guys are all awesome, girls who plank when pregnant run the world :)  
  • Thanks for all responses! I was worried that planks might cause/exacerbate abdominal muscle separation. I'm still doing them for now since I don't feel like my ab muscles are strained or overworked.
  • I am 29 weeks and doing the planksgiving challenge on https://shrinkingjeans.net/2013/10/planksgiving/! It seems that planks are pretty much the only preggo ab workout that does not force your abs apart, as crunches/etc might.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"