June 2014 Moms
Options

Best Pregnancy Book out there

Wanted your opinion on the best pregnancy book out there. Preferably one that won't scare the holy be-jesus out of me! This is my first pregnancy and I could really use some books and other advice.

Re: Best Pregnancy Book out there

• Options
    Here are some that have been recommended to us:

-Panic-free Pregnancy
    -Expecting 411
    -Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn
    -Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy
    -The Expectant Father

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Whatever you get, stay away from "What to Expect...". It is awful. I am really liking the Mayo Clinic book, and DH seems to be enjoying "The Expectant Father".
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Whatever you get, stay away from "What to Expect...". It is awful. I am really liking the Mayo Clinic book, and DH seems to be enjoying "The Expectant Father".

I'm just curious, what's awful about it? That could mean a lot of different things.

I mostly found what I needed through credible online sources. I did have a copy of what to expect from a friend and although I rarely cracked it open, I didn't have any problems with the info the was in it.
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I highly recommend Expecting Better. It isn't a month to month guide, but gives the actual data behind much of the "pregnancy advice" you will be given over the next few months, but docs and strangers. It's really good at backing up what matters and debunking (don't smoke) what doesn't (go enjoy that coffee). And it is very non-judgey.

I think every pregnant and TTC woman should read it.
    PgAL (MC@7w 29/10/11 - lost you before we knew we had you)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I just thought it was really poorly written and jumped around a TON! The information itself was useful, but I hated how she would just reference other parts of the book and skip around so much.
  • Options

I just thought it was really poorly written and jumped around a TON! The information itself was useful, but I hated how she would just reference other parts of the book and skip around so much.

Gotcha. Thanks for indulging my curiosity:)
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I have a few but my favourite so far, and the one I lend to my friends that are TTC, is Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth. It was recommended to me by a friend and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It definitely makes labour seem way less terrifying than I'd imagined! :)
  • Options
    THE GIRLFRIENDS GUIDE TO PREGNANCY. HANDS DOWN BEST BOOK.
  • Options

I love the Mayo Clinic book.

Avoid "What to Expect..." like the plague. It's terrible and will have you scared out of your mind for nine months for no good reason.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm bookmarking this post. great advice - I'm looking for a few good books myself. thanks!

• Options
    cm716 said:
    I agree! She's truthful and hilarious!!
    image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My BF really loved Dude, You're Gonna be a Dad. Its a non condescending book geared towards dads and how to handle hormones, birth, cravings, etc. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My doc gave me "acog your pregnancy and childbirth" book. They said it is evidence based. So far I like it and it's very informative.
  • Options

cm716 said:

I agree! She's truthful and hilarious!!

Based on these comments I bought this book. I was a little worried about the mixed reviews on Amazon (although it did have 4 out of 5 stars) but these ladies are right. This book is awesome. I can't put it down and keep bursting out laughing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"