May 2013 Moms

Formula Fail- Help! (Update- now we really need help)

AllieAGameAllieAGame member
edited October 2013 in May 2013 Moms
So, H and I decided that the pumping has GOT to end soon. It's ruining our lives and relationship. Today we gave Lexie her first formula bottle (4 oz of the Wal Mart brand of Similac Advance) and she took it just fine. Tonight we tried a second formula bottle and she hated it. She made faces, wouldn't swallow it and cried. We are taking a break and will try a 50/50 bottle in a few minutes.

I'm not gonna lie- her reaction is really getting to me and I'm losing my resolve to hang up the pump even though I know we need to. For you moms that FF in any way (particularly those who give both BM and formula), what does your baby like? Maybe this brand just doesn't taste right to her. Any help you guys have will be welcomed. I can't keep pumping.

UPDATE: The 50/50 bottle was a fail too. So then later we tried just 2 oz of really warm formula, as suggested, and she horked it out all over the place. I've never seen her spit up like that. She started gagging a bit and then exorcist puked everything up. What do I make of this? Allergic? Just doesn't like it? Too many bubbles (we tried to let it settle)? Maybe a coincidence? Heeeellllppppp Meeeeee.
She is here! 5-29-13

Re: Formula Fail- Help! (Update- now we really need help)

• Mine switches each day, formula at DC, BF at home. We use Gerber Gentle Good Start. No problems, never had to mix. I would say the first 2 bottles were weird for him.
    photo siggy_zpsf288824b.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hey Allie.  Hang in there!  Let us know how she takes a 50-50 bottle...it could be that she's just not interested / hungry enough at the moment.  When I was doing alternating bottles of BM and formula, sometimes C would make the most awful faces!  At first, I thought he was developing some sort of formula hatred, but then he'd do the same thing with BM bottles.  It turned out that he was ready to start going longer between bottles, and wasn't hungry yet.

I hope that Lexie makes the transition soon so that you can be free of the boobie shackles!!!  (It is so, so glorious.  My husband and I actually go to bed at the same time now.)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • We found that our daughter likes the formula REALLY warm. She would not drink a bottle with formula until we figured that out. She drinks Enfamil Gentlease, and I pump what I can at work so that she still gets some breast milk. Good luck!
  • Holy effing mother of god, @mommacakes4u - this is the first time I've been on my computer and seen the Halloween fail in your siggy.  I'm afraid to close my eyes tonight, now that that image has been burned in. :-O

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• DD went back n forth between BM and formula without skipping a beat. She was on similac advanced at the time.
    3 ectopic pregnancies (EDD's 1/30/12-tube removed, 6/2/12-methotrexate and 10/2/12-methotrexate)
    IVF and Natural FET resulted in BFN's and a hole in our wallets
    Natural BFP #4 on 9/7/12 gave us our miracle on 5/18/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @klj3, I was hoping you'd weigh in. :) What kind of formula are you using? I'm SO JEALOUS of your pump-free, husband bedding lifestyle.

So far no luck on the 50/50 bottle.
    She is here! 5-29-13

• @klj3, I was hoping you'd weigh in. :) What kind of formula are you using? I'm SO JEALOUS of your pump-free, husband bedding lifestyle.

So far no luck on the 50/50 bottle.

We're using the same kind you are, the WalMart version of Similac Advance. Is Lexie acting hungry?

• UPDATE: The 50/50 bottle was a fail too. So then later we tried just 2 oz of really warm formula, as suggested, and she horked it out all over the place. I've never seen her spit up like that. She started gagging a bit and then exorcist puked everything up. What do I make of this? Allergic? Just doesn't like it? Too many bubbles (we tried to let it settle)? Maybe a coincidence? Heeeellllppppp Meeeeee.

Eeek, that's scary! Is she giving any other indications of not feeling well?

• Oh my goodness I was where you are a couple weeks ago! My supply started tanking and I startrd panicking!! J wouldn't take a formula bottle so we went 50/50 and he hated it. Thankfully we had a sample of one of the ones where the milk proteins are partially broken down. We tried that 50/50 and he took it. It took quite a few 50/50 bottles before he would take a straight formula bottle and he'll now take the reg similac advanced.
    Good luck!!!! I know it's frustrating! Also go sign up at Similac and they'll send free samples... Enfamil did too.

• I know that shit is expensive but I would wait and try a different formula.
  • When I had to supplement we had great success with the Similac Total Comfort and R will take the Similac Supplementation in the 2 oz premade bottles. We use the 2 oz ones as emergencies like when we get stuck out somewhere
  • I'm so sorry for the struggle you're having with Lexie. I'm thinking about and praying for you. I'm hoping to be free of the pump too some time in the not to distant future and reading what you're going though is making me anxious. Hang in there!

• KLJ3 said:

UPDATE: The 50/50 bottle was a fail too. So then later we tried just 2 oz of really warm formula, as suggested, and she horked it out all over the place. I've never seen her spit up like that. She started gagging a bit and then exorcist puked everything up. What do I make of this? Allergic? Just doesn't like it? Too many bubbles (we tried to let it settle)? Maybe a coincidence? Heeeellllppppp Meeeeee.
    Eeek, that's scary! Is she giving any other indications of not feeling well?
    She seems to feel just fine. She has been happy and playful, despite being up a little late. Maybe she just wasn't hungry- who knows. I'm so nervous about tomorrow though. We have to keep trying, right? Maybe just in 2 oz increments.

How long did it take you guys to get samples? I signed up about 2 weeks ago for Similac and nothing has come yet.
    She is here! 5-29-13

• I signed up in September for all of them and have yet to get a sample. I have gotten coupons for some $$ off though. 
  • KLJ3KLJ3 member
    edited October 2013
    Hmmm...many of our samples came magically before C was born. After about a month, they sent us some specialty stuff (sensitive, gassy, etc.) and then it has been coupons since then.

Tomorrow will be a new, hopefully better day. May Lexie be ravenous! (And may the formula stay inside.)

ETA: I just checked the cupboard and discovered some samples of both Similac and Enfamil "fussiness and gas" formulas, plus one Similac Total Comfort. If regular formula doesn't work out, let me know and I'll send 'em to you.

• We were forced to supplement with formula once we learned DS2 just wasn't getting enough EBFing. He gets about 50/50. We learned he likes the bottles warm and we always mix and that seems to work.

BFP 5/21/10, Missed m/c 7/5/10 at 11w3d (baby measured 7wks), D&C 7/7/10

Aug/Sept 2010 - CD3&10 b/w & u/s, genetic testing, SA, HSG, & Lap/Hyst to remove septum

12/09/10 BFP -- 7/05/11 DS born at 33w5d. Came home after 23d in NICU at 37w0d

June 2012 - TTC #2! -- 10/05/12 BFP --  5/23/13 DS2 born at 37w1d! Yay full term!

Surprise BFP 6/25/14 LO#3 due Feb2015!

imageimage
  • I EP (agree with hating it!) and supplement 1-2 bottles a day with formula. YES, formulas taste different or have a different texture than each other and babies will flat out refuse one and will happily take another. My LO took enfamil newborn easily right from the get go. She started to get colicky so we tried enfamil gentlease and she hated it! Fussed, cried, and even projectile vomited! She now takes gerber good start gentle just fine. It's what DC provides. I would try another brand. I know it's expensive, but it will be the best thing in the long run. Keep us posted!
    Me: 32
    DH: 35
    DD #1: 6/1/2013
    EDD #2: 6/7/2017
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Tyler only had breast milk for the first 5 months. A few weeks after I went back to work I couldn't pump enough to cover day care and my doctor recommended starting with 1/4 formula and 3/4 breast milk. He took that fine and just recently moved to having more formula in a bottle and he now takes that well too. When I asked the doctor which kind we should try he said there is not a big difference between them. I don't know how accurate that is, but we give him Emfamil Gentlease because when I would mix formula with oatmeal before, he seemed to take the oatmeal better with that formula so we stuck with it. I know daycare uses a bottle warmer when giving him the bottles of BM/formula. Hopefully she'll start to like formula soon!
  • I'm sorry. I don't have any words of wisdom. My milk came in droplets, so my LO sucked down formula like crack when we gave it to her! Well, that is if crack were liquid.

• Following along. Will be supplementing soon and worried I'll be in the same boat! Hope some of the suggestions work! Good luck!!
  • jonesma204jonesma204 member
    edited October 2013
    Lo is 5m1w old and I am EP for another 3 weeks until she is 6 months.I LOVE this post because I have been so nervous about making the transition to formula and love the advice/suggestions! I also love that I am not the only EP that is SO OVER IT!

Basically, thanks and good luck with your little Lexie :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"