International Bumpies

Hello from Singapore

Hi Ladies,

Just wanted to post an intro. I'm Allie and I live in Singapore with my husband. We've been here for 18 months and previously lived in HCMC, Vietnam for about 2 years. We're both American and I'm from Southern California originally. I'm expecting my first baby in June and it is bringing up a fair share of 'poor me' expat feelings being so far from my family. Singapore has great healthcare so I'm not terribly worried about that but it would be nice to have a strong family support system in the same country.

I've traveled a good bit in the region, so any good SE Asia travel questions, send them my way!

Looking forward to hanging out here a bit!

Re: Hello from Singapore

• Hiya Allie! We have been in Singapore for just over a year and are due early June 2014. Let me know if you'd like to go for coffee sometime!
  • Jazznit1984 I sent you a PM. Get in touch!
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi ladies, I also live in singapore and had my first baby here November 11th! Let me know if you have any questions, I'm really new at this but might be able to help!
  • Good luck, we're also in SE Asia! Singapore & HCMC are on my lists of "must visit" before we leave the Philippines.
  • this decaf life let me know if you want travel tips for either place! How long & where are you in PH? We keep meaning to go somewhere other than the airport and haven't yet. (Oh, yea, and then there was the cyclone and awful devastation...)

emadden19 I sent you a PM a couple of days ago!
  • @aesimp don't go to krispy kreme in tangs. I am pretty sure they put drugs in the donuts. 
  • @aesimp we're in Manila but we've been to Puerto Princesa & Cebu and we're planning to go to Bohol in a few months. We'll be here another 1.5 years, I've heard the airport in Singapore is awesome! How long will you be in Singapore? Are you with State?
  • this decaf life we've been here for 2 years and have just made the decision to stay at least until February 2015. DH works for a start up so all the decisions are on us--I do envy all the help that diplomats get with international moves though :) Singapore is a great place to live but it's terribly unexciting compared to other places in SEA. The airport is pretty phenomenal, not because it's nice, more because it's so easy. We have competitions to see who spends the least time getting to/from the airport, through check in & security, or immigration. I think my husband was off the plane and through immigration in 7 minutes the last time he flew. I was out my front door and to my gate in 12 minutes once. Crazy!

Is PH your first posting? It's a really good place to start because nearly anywhere else you go will be easier. We've had friends who moved from Bangkok or Singapore to HCMC, Vietnam and they had such a hard time adjusting to a proper "developing" country. Get the hard stuff out of the way first. We're going to Myanmar for CNY and then hopefully PH before baby comes in June. I'll likely be looking for hotel recs when the time comes.
  • @aesimp Yeah, working with State is awesome for moving! They make it so easy. 

PH is our first post. I think it worked out so well because exactly like you said, I think I'm prepared to move almost anywhere after here. A lot of our friends just got word on their next post and I'm looking forward to June and finding out where we're headed next. 

Myanmar is on our list too! We have a really great friend posted there and her photos are amazing. Definitely message me if you head to PH, Manila isn't really all that nice but there are lots of things to do if you aren't into sitting on the beach for a weekend relaxing. There are so many nice beach towns though it is sort of hard to pick the best one!
  • Hey ladies! Resurrecting an old thread rather than starting anew....

Moved to Singapore this past January and FTM in April2015. :) we'll be here for a few years. Both from the States (Midwest).

If you have any personal experience with either FourTrimesters or Dr FM Lai, I'll take the PM advice. :) Just now finding my way around when it comes to all the baby/mum related stuff. But so far loooooving Singapore!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • 70point3 I had a doula through Parentlink and had Paul Tseng as my doctor. Can't say enough good things about either. PM me if you want some more info on non-medicated birth in Singers...it's a bit tough to navigate but I have friends who used with Dr. Lai and Four Trimesters and liked them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"