December 2013 Moms
Options

Opinions on girls names - **Update

mh89mh89 member
edited November 2013 in December 2013 Moms
UPDATE 11/6:

Okay, we've narrowed it down to two options - Natalie or Arwen. If you want, you can vote in the poll I made on the baby name board and decide her name for us since we're completely torn. Thanks for all of your opinions and advice, its been very helpful, you ladies are the best!!!

The poll is here:

I already made this post over on the Baby Names Board, but I know a lot of Dec '13 ladies don't go over there and I'd love to hear as many opinions as possible. Thank you in advance!

My husband and I thought we were all set on Arwen for this DD, but we're both now having second thoughts.. him more than me. I still love the name, but I'm worried my child might not since it is so tied to LOTR. My DH is super picky, so most of my suggestions and favorites have been tossed. These are the ones he said were "okay". What do you think? 

DD1 is Lily.

Lily & Arwen - 
Lily & Eva - 
Lily & Natalie - 
Lily & Katarina -
Lily & Amelia - 

It's difficult because none of these names seem like my child's name, most of the names that I feel a connection to don't work for one reason or another and I am clearly way too indecisive. 

image image

Re: Opinions on girls names - **Update

• Options
    I have no useful advice, other than I really like the name Natalie.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

Jacob & Audra - married since 05.28.11
    Emma Kate - born 10.16.03 @ 29 weeks, weighed 1lb 13oz and 13.5" long.
    Ozzy Joseph - born 11.01.13 @ 31 weeks, weighed 3lbs 7oz and 16" long.
    TTC #3
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I kinda love all these names.

That said, are you suuuuure none of the names you feel a connection to will work?
    Lilypie - (V9Ze)
  • Options
    I vote for Amelia
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Wedding Countdown Ticker

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I think you should stick with Arwen. It's beautiful and goes very well with Lily. I also like Katarina. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    glowpoint said:

I think you should stick with Arwen. It's beautiful and goes very well with Lily. I also like Katarina. 

This was my thoughts as well.
  • Options
    Natalie and Amelia
  • Options
    I love the name Eva :-bd
  • Options
    I would only go with Amelia if you also like the name Amy a lot.

Eva or Amelia

photo b1f62123-e338-48e2-a2d8-373638902d4d.jpg 

• Options
    My SO says Eva
  • Options
    I like Amelia the best of those. I have a cousin named Amelia and I've never heard anyone call her Amy. I also like Eva. Are you opposed to Ava? That goes with Lily better, IMO, but I like either. Good Luck!

Me: 31 | DH: 33

DS1: 12.23.13 | DS2: 05.06.16

BFP: 06.30.19 | EDD: 3.9.20

**TW**
    TTC3: 11.18
    BFP: 02.05.19
    CP: 03.07.19
    *really traumatic recovery*

• Options
    I like Eva or Amelia

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Amelia is my fav.

• Options

That said, are you suuuuure none of the names you feel a connection to will work?
    Yeah most of those names either DH nixed or they sound funny with our last name or with DD's name. 

Thanks for all the responses so far. This is such a tough call...
    image image

• Options
  • Options
    Eva
    Welcome Lily Anna!
    photo 1456712_10152106342897743_1211250038_nTB_zps917a6c9a.jpg
  • Options
    mh89 said:

Yeah most of those names either DH nixed or they sound funny with our last name or with DD's name. 

Thanks for all the responses so far. This is such a tough call...
    OK, gotcha.  I'm throwing my weight behind Natalie, then!
    Lilypie - (V9Ze)
  • Options
    This LO would have been Natalia if DH got his way, but it's too close to his name IMO. But I do like the name Natalie! We have a friend due a few weeks before us who is naming her girl Eva. And while no one else has said it, me personal favorite of those choices is Katarina.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I love both Eva and Amelia. That said, I've seen and read LOTR and don't make that immediate association when I hear Arwen, so maybe others won't either! I think if you have the strongest connection with that name, you should use it.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Amelia
  • Options
    Super late but I had to comment and say I LOVE Katarina! It's my sisters name and it's so beautiful! I think it goes well with Lily too! Eva is also really nice.

My sweet girl Lilijana Jane 12/16/13
    View Full Size Image 
  • Options
    Stick with Arwen!! Every name is going to have SOME association with it, and I don't think LOTR is a bad one or too strong of one. I love Arwen and it seems perfect for your LO to me.
  • Options
    I love Arwen!

I'd personally avoid Eva based on over-popularity...Ava with an "A" is #5, and I personally know a couple of them (and I don't have many friends with kids). 
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, I want to creepy Internet hug you all. I settled for love tits instead. :)

We're still not decided. I read all of your responses off to DH and he had been hoping there would be one clear winner with all the votes. Looks like we might be going to the hospital with a list of favorites and decide there. I just have the type of personality where I want to be settled on a name right now so being undecided is stressing me out.

If anyone else would like to chip in with their .02 I'd love to hear more opinions.

Stick with Arwen!! Every name is going to have SOME association with it, and I don't think LOTR is a bad one or too strong of one. I love Arwen and it seems perfect for your LO to me.

Yeah, DH and I are super nerdy so it fits well with our family. :) I love Arwen! I guess the only thing making us second guess the name is the possibility of LO being judged or teased for such a blatantly geeky name. I wouldn't want her name to hold her back in any way.
    image image

• Options
    I think all of the names are beautiful! You guys seemed pretty settled on Arwen though. I have never seen LOTR or read the books, and just find it to be a fun unique name, without being weird unique (if that makes sense). I can't imagine anyone making fun if her for it in the future.
  • Options
    I'd stick with Arwen it's a beautiful name!
  • Options
    I like Natalie.
    image   image
  • Options
    mh89 said:
    Yeah, DH and I are super nerdy so it fits well with our family. :) I love Arwen! I guess the only thing making us second guess the name is the possibility of LO being judged or teased for such a blatantly geeky name. I wouldn't want her name to hold her back in any way.
    My DH and I are also super nerdy, and we have picked a name from the Pern series (sic-fi dragon riders) for this little boy. We've had similar feelings that it might be just a little too out there, but the more we talk about him and use his name, the more we like it. IT goes well with DS1's name, and it's amazing that we agreed on it, so we're sticking with it. At this point, it feels right. DS1 also has a geek name, but it's become much more popular recently, so not everyone immediately makes the association (of course, people who know us make the connection right away). I think Arwen is going that way as well. It's very pretty, and it's becoming fairly popular. I don't think you will be judged for giving her a "geek name."

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Eva or Amelia... Love the names and pair nicely with Lily
  • Options
    I love Amelia! Arwen is pretty and very ethereal sounding, too.

• Options
    Usually I'm not big on names pulled from books, but honestly Lily & Arwen go great together and both are beautiful names.
  • Options
    I love your list. In fact, had I had twin girls five-seven years ago there is a good chance I would have picked Lily & Eva! However, Eva and Ava are just everywhere now and it would bother me too much to choose it. Katerina is beautiful and not as common...other ideas: Aurelia, Emilia (more European), Isadora. Good luck xoxo

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    ^^also to add I never read or saw LOTR either, so no associations with Arwen. : )

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I like Natalie. A new one I've heard that's close to arwen is arya. Just a thought!
  • Options
    Bronwyn and Gwen/Gwendoyln are close-ish to Arwen too.  I still love Arwen though!
  • Options
    LOVE Natalie :)

View Full Size Image 
    View Full Size Image View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image

• Options
    Honestly, I like them all except Arwen. Probably Amelia or Eva being my favorite with Lily.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Eva, Natalie, and Amelia are my favorites!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"