February 2013 Moms
Options

Crafty Mamas Come In!!

wifeofadamwifeofadam member
edited October 2013 in February 2013 Moms

I'm starting to plan out my homemade Christmas gifts for the year so I won't feel rushed trying to finish them all up in the weeks leading up to Christmas.  I was wondering if anyone else is planning some homemade gifts and wanted to share ideas.  I always do primarily homemade or secondhand for my own kids and then make something for all of my nieces and nephews, and all of the women in the families (it's for all of the couples actually, but they are usually gifts the women appreciate more). 

In the past I've knitted for the women, done needlepoint pillows, and last year I made lotion bars/chapstick.  This year I have some batches of homemade vanilla that I'm working on and I'm thinking about doing dehydrated potpourri mixes in some pretty packaging that they can throw in some water on the stove.  If I get ambitious I may sew casserole dish covers. 

For my kids I'm thinking about sewing baby doll clothes for DD1.  I have no idea for the boys.  Any little boy ideas would be really helpful!!!  DD2 I may try to knit a new hat for or something.  As a joint gift I'm thinking about sewing them a table fort or a tee-pee.  I did a table fort for our kitchen table when the boys were younger, but now it's too unsanitary under the kitchen table for them to play there regularly - too many messy kids who can't seem to keep their food on their plates.

I'm at a loss for my nieces and nephews as well.  I've done crayon roll-ups, pillow pets, felt Potato heads, and baby doll stuff in the past.  I have no idea what to do this year for them.  Any ideas?

I don't know why, but the kids are always the hardest.  Share with me what you've made or plan to make.

Re: Crafty Mamas Come In!!

• Options
    Depending on the ages of your nieces, dress up clothes might be good! You can't buy dresses up clothes for kids who c can't wear the tiny size 3-6 in the stores. My dad is 6 and loves to dress up but the only time of year we can get dress ups is Halloween. They ol wouldn't have to be elaborate, but maybe a few mix and match pieces?
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    Here's all the ideas that I have:
    -Lego Table
    -Superhero Capes
    -Tool bench
    -Felt food?
    -Marshmallow shooter
    -large fabric Tic Tac Toe board or checkers board
    -Bowling sets (with like soup cans as the pins?)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @newmompeanut I LOVE those ideas!

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    I did felt food for DS1 when he was 3.  Surprisingly, most of the food is still in good shape and DD1 plays with it now.

I love the idea of a Lego table for the boys.  DH made a Playmobil table for them last year, but I've always wanted one with the Lego board on top and a bunch of drawers to organize and sort stuff.  I think I'll start getting DH motivated on that one ;)

My oldest niece is 11 and she's the hardest one right now.  Maybe I could make her a make-up bag or something like that because she's into that girly pre-teen stuff.

• Options
    I think a make up bag is a great idea! 

Maybe some homemade bath bombs?  Or a small cosmetic mirror that you somehow put her name onto?

Maybe homemade sweater mittens?  There was one girl in my middle school who's mother would make amazing sweater mittens.  I was always in love with her gorgeous sweater mittens.  Mitten-envy :)
  • Options
    My sister is crocheting stuffed animals for my kids this year (ponies for my girls, the boys' are surprises); I'm making granny square blankets for hers girls and my boys, and hats for my girls. I'm also making new stockings for all of the kids, because the girls' have all been ruined - they'll be hanging up some of daddy's old socks on Christmas eve, and they'll be replaced with the new stockings by morning. 
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Options
    Rynleigh said:
    My sister is crocheting stuffed animals for my kids this year (ponies for my girls, the boys' are surprises); I'm making granny square blankets for hers girls and my boys, and hats for my girls. I'm also making new stockings for all of the kids, because the girls' have all been ruined - they'll be hanging up some of daddy's old socks on Christmas eve, and they'll be replaced with the new stockings by morning. 
    I'm embarassed to say that DH's stocking for as long as I have known him has been one of his socks.  DH insists that stockings should be actual socks.  I keep telling him that one day when our family is complete, I will be making knitted matching "socks" for everyone.  I put a lot of work into decorating the mantle and then there is DH's sock hanging there.  lol

I demand pictures of everyone's crafts when they get them done!!!!

• Options
    PeanutR1 said:
    I'm not super crafty, but I've looked at doing "dinner in a mason jar". So, like, chili. You layer all the spices and dried beans in a jar so it looks nice, and all the person has to do is add the broth/meat with contents to a slow cooker and they have dinner!
    I've done somthing similar, but with the dry ingredients for cookies and brownies.  It looks neat with layers of oatmeal, raisins, etc.  I tied a square of fabric around the lid and attached a wooden spoon.

• Options
    Has anyone ever made soap?  I feel like this would be fun, but it sounds kind of intimidating.

• Options

Has anyone ever made soap?  I feel like this would be fun, but it sounds kind of intimidating.

I did it once with a woman who makes soap for extra come but it didn't turn out. It works like soap, bit it didn't have the nice color and look her soap has. Sheer said it always happens once a year but she never knows when or why.

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    My mom used to.  She bought soap-making kits at a soap/candle supply store.  The glycerin kind was dead easy - just melt and pour into molds.  The other kids were more complicated, but not impossible.

• Options
    DC2London said:
    it's funny that this thread popped up tonight bc I just made my 7th or 8th attempt in 4 years at knitting and wound up with an unraveled bunch of yarn.  I swear I am not a complete idiot, but knitting just completely eludes me :(
    I bought these great knitting cheater looms. They're called Knifty Knitters. You can get them round to make hats or rectangular to make scarves/blankets/etc. They are awesome. You don't have to tell people you cheated. :) I knitted hats for all my nieces and nephews one year. 

This thread is great. I always put things like this off until the last minute and end up making something lame. I love all the ideas! 
  • Options
    Thank you guys for all these ideas! And @DC2London, I remember seeing one of those lock boards at the store and thinking that I was going to make one for when LO is here. She's so inquisitive and even if she can't manage the locks yet, I know she'll love moving them around. Thanks for reminding me about it.
    And I love the felt tree and snowman idea! I had something similar growing up that my mom made and it was always my favorite Christmas ornament.
    And the produce bag idea!
    I wish I had something to contribute, but I not crafty at all.
    BabyFetus Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"