High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Bipolar and pregnant?

Is anyone else HR because they have Bipolar Disorder? As soon as I found out I was pregnant I called my psychiatrist and confirmed what medication was safe, but the hospital on base still labeled me as high risk. I was taking my medication as usual up until I took a pregnancy test, so could those first few weeks hurt my baby? I wasn't exactly expecting this baby, he/she is more of a happy surprise! But I'm still nervous about my condition and what affect it will have on him/her.

Re: Bipolar and pregnant?

• Options
    Not bipolar, but I have a panic disorder and PTSD that requires medication; however, I stopped taking them to ensure my baby wouldn't be affected. I had a few setbacks during the first trimester, but it ended during the start of second trimester. Lately, I've had a few but not bad, because I do relaxation exercises as much as I can. I'm still considered high risk due to my age and hypertension.

You may want to talk more to your OB/GYN to see if they can prescribe you something safe. I know my doctor recommended I take nothing for my disorder, and I'm glad I haven't. I wish I could help more.
  • Options
    Suzuna: I don't have bi-polar but my mom does and when she was pregnant with my now 11yr old sister she stopped her medication. They had her on Zoloft. She did have more therapy sessions and didn't counting techniques. I don't fully trust psych meds during pregnancy. Make sure whatever your taking is eithe a catalog B or A drug. In some cases the bond you develop with your child blocks out that anger part of your brain. Good luck and congrats on your pregnancy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm bipolar :( I'm on lithium and lamictal. Tried to go off them but I'm on the more severe side and was told by all my docs that I need to take care of myself in order to be healthy for her so I was advised to stay on it. I wish things were different but they're not. When I was cutting down, the stress and anxiety was too much and I was beginning to shut down. It is what it is...
    Not breast feeding is the best I can do...but I have faith the docs know what they're talking about.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    I'm bipolar. I get off my meds pregnant and for some reason bipolar wise I feel great during pregnancy except sleep so I usually take ambien bc we all know how much no sleep sets you off

Not HR for that though.
  • Options
    Hi! I'm bipolar, planning to stay on my Lamictal and Cymbalta. I'm with justabean: I actually feel better/calmer/happier pregnant so I've considered dropping the Cymbalta, but not something to take lightly.

Military hospitals usually don't label you HR for being bipolar, but they will do it if you're on meds like klonopin or if you're choosing to go off your meds while pregnant. This is normally just because it's a LOT of hormonal changes at once that could impact mood, blood pressure, and weight.

How are you feeling?
  • Options

Hi! I'm bipolar, planning to stay on my Lamictal and Cymbalta. I'm with justabean: I actually feel better/calmer/happier pregnant so I've considered dropping the Cymbalta, but not something to take lightly.

Military hospitals usually don't label you HR for being bipolar, but they will do it if you're on meds like klonopin or if you're choosing to go off your meds while pregnant. This is normally just because it's a LOT of hormonal changes at once that could impact mood, blood pressure, and weight.

How are you feeling?

I was told that I absolutely had to stop taking cymbalta. I won't lie: weaning off was ROUGH. I've definitely had my ups & downs (yukkayuk), but am finally finding a happy place somewhere around middle ground. Now that I'm med-free I'm hoping to stay this way even after delivery since starting the meds was almost as bad as weaning off of them. I dunno. We shall see!
    Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"