Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Belly button/umbilical cord stump bleeding

I just went to change to my 13 day old daughter for her nighttime feeding and there was blood on the top half of her diaper (where we fold it over to not brush up against her umbilical cord stump) and also on the inside of her sleep sack. Both the top and bottom of her belly button appears to be bleeding. I dont think this is normal. Yesterday it looked like it could fall out at any moment - so I put her in the sleep sack and let it be.

What should I do? Is this normal?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Belly button/umbilical cord stump bleeding

• Options
    You can clean around it with water on a q-tip and dry.

This is normal as long as it is not a large amount of blood. A few drops on the diaper and her clothes isn't abnormal.

She will likely lose her cord soon.
  • Options
    My sons fell off in one week but it didnt stop bleeding (just tiny drops) till he was 3 wks.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it's pretty normal. That's what happened to my son, and his fell out 4 days ago. He's healing well now, and the bleeding eventually stopped. Of you're concerned, call your doctor.
  • Options
    We had this issue when my LO was just short of two weeks. Turns out that her cord area was too moist. We always made sure her diaper was below the stump, cleaned it with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol after every diaper change, and it dropped off three days after we started this pattern. Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"