Breastfeeding

~*~*MSPI Moms Weekly Check-In*~*~

~*~*MSPI Moms Weekly Check-In*~*~

Welcome! This is a check-in for moms who are/were on a dairy free and/or soy free diet due to their LO's intolerance. The check-ins will be posted every Monday morning on the Breastfeeding board and XP'd to the Food Allergy board. If you'd like to join the group, just post an intro here and dive in! To check out the archive of our previous check-ins, please see the MSPI Moms Blog.

1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing?

2. What sorts of responses have you received from people you've told about your MSPI diet?

3. Any new snacks or recipes you'd like to share?

4. Any other burning questions you'd like answered?

Re: ~*~*MSPI Moms Weekly Check-In*~*~

• Well starting week 3 on my no soy, no dairy, no nuts, no eggs & no gluten diet... No change in my LO yet and she seems to still have tummy aches and unhappy diapers. I will continue on but it's discouraging & heart breaking that I am causing this pain :(

I discovered the following two brands & everything they make is free if the top 8 allergies. So happy I found them
    -Enjoy Life
    - Namaste
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Oh wanted to add... On vacation visiting my grandpa who is unsupportive of my diet. How did anyone survive back in there day. She is chunky so she isn't allergic to anything. She can have ice cream it's not food it does in the cracks (she is 5 months!) he also has Alzheimer's so we have this same conversation 90 times a day :(
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • 1. We are doing pretty well. Lo doesn't seem to be bothered as much... No more screaming when he poops and his rash hasn't came back.

2. People always ask "well what do you eat then" and I calmly say, "everything except for cheese, milk, butter, (dairy products) and soy" and then they get it a little better.

3. If only I cooked more interesting stuff! I made fried rice with my soy free soy sauce I mentioned last week and got more chili seaseme oil which adds great flavor.

4. I ate regularly at the wedding this past weekend and I know there was dairy, but I'm not sure if there was soy. And I pumped and marked that milk for the next couple feedings. Then I did nurse him. I'm assuming he still got some of it in his system. But is there such a thing as just soy protein intolerant? I swear its much more pronounce when I've had soy than with dairy items. He's stool was moucusy but he didn't seemed bothered overall.
  • @ToAoShesha: oof, that is tough. Hang in there with the diet. It can take a little longer than 3 weeks for some LOs to improve.

@Earlybird725: that is so nice of your MIL! I hope the visit goes well.

@YellowLily2013: That is great your LO is doing better! I do think it's possible for some babies to be more sensitive to soy.

1. We are doing good! DS had a whole cup of baby yogurt, a pat of butter, and some cheesy Pirate's Booty this weekend and did fine. I've been eating cheese here and there. He is still sensitive to so many other random foods, though, always breaking out with a rash on his face. I'm looking forward to talking with his pedi about it this Fri at his 18 mo check up.

2. I get the same, "What do you eat??" and I just laugh and list off all the yummy, whole foods I eat now. I've never really had any discouragement, for which I feel lucky. Except for his pedi and the pedi GE, no one has even mentioned formula!

3. I made a yummy black bean dip this weekend. I cooked the black beans in the crock pot (soaked a whole bag overnight, rinsed, added ~7 c fresh water, and set to high in the morning, done by the afternoon!) and then blended them in the food processor with some garlic, lime juice and a little zest, salt, and grapeseed oil. Just kept tasting and adding pinches of things until it tasted good. Chilled it in the fridge and it's even better today. Yum!

4. For the veterans: how have you adjusted to eating dairy and/or soy again? I just ate 2 small peices of pizza and I feel guilty. Not so much for the cheese but wondering if there was soy in anything, and if the wheat will bother him. I was just so hungry and it was provided by my office, I couldn't resist. I do think he's outgrowing his intolerances and is less bothered by things coming through my milk, but I've just got this mental block when it comes to eating these foods that have been taboo for so long!

• 1. Doing great!  I actually gave him about 0.5 oz of WCM yesterday.  He didn't have an immediate reaction so that was exciting.  He was more clingy/whiny today, but I'm not sure if that was tummy ache related or just the Monday crankies or maybe even a bit of Monday "I seen you all weekend and then you left me at daycare so I'm gonna whine at you all night".  Keeping an eye on his diapers & if I don't see any blood/mucous I'll probably give him a little more tomorrow to see what happens.

2. Oh man.  Pretty much everyone looked at me like I was crazy.  I don't know how many people told me that they would have given up BF'ing and give formula.  I guess that sort of comment made me proud that I stuck with the diet. 

3. Well since I've re-intro'ed dairy I've been playing around with some recipes, but I won't share since they obviously include dairy.

4. @rocknrollfriend it took me a good 2 weeks to really not feel guilty about eating dairy.  I still don't eat it as much as I used to just because I know I don't need it now. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• Hi everyone!  I wanted to introduce myself.  I have a 3.5 month old son and we are trying to figure out his intolerances.  Currently, I am off of dairy, soy, wheat, eggs, fish, shellfish, nuts, tree nuts, corn and garlic.  I am also a vegetarian, so I am struggling to make sure I eat enough protein. 

How long did it take before your little one's diapers went back to normal?  My dc's are still green and mucousy, although I think they are looking a little better.  I have been off of all of the mentioned foods for 3 weeks, but have slipped up a few times and accidentally eaten food with the ingredients in them.  Did any of you continue to have green and/or mucousy diapers regardless of your eliminations?  If so, what did your doctor say to do next?  

Also, my little guy is not a fussy baby.  He smiles all day long and doesn't seem to be in pain.  But ever since I eliminated all of these foods he has slept terribly.  When I was just omitting dairy he was sleeping much better, but his diapers were filled with mucous.  Any advice?  

Thanks so much!  I am so glad to have found this group, as this can be very overwhelming. 
  • MommyMegs said:
    Hi everyone!  I wanted to introduce myself.  I have a 3.5 month old son and we are trying to figure out his intolerances.  Currently, I am off of dairy, soy, wheat, eggs, fish, shellfish, nuts, tree nuts, corn and garlic.  I am also a vegetarian, so I am struggling to make sure I eat enough protein. 

How long did it take before your little one's diapers went back to normal?  My dc's are still green and mucousy, although I think they are looking a little better.  I have been off of all of the mentioned foods for 3 weeks, but have slipped up a few times and accidentally eaten food with the ingredients in them.  Did any of you continue to have green and/or mucousy diapers regardless of your eliminations?  If so, what did your doctor say to do next?  

Also, my little guy is not a fussy baby.  He smiles all day long and doesn't seem to be in pain.  But ever since I eliminated all of these foods he has slept terribly.  When I was just omitting dairy he was sleeping much better, but his diapers were filled with mucous.  Any advice?  

Thanks so much!  I am so glad to have found this group, as this can be very overwhelming. 

Wow, that is a lot of eliminations! Have you enlisted the help of a dietician? That has to be super challenging.

For my DS his diapers became less green and mucousy once I finally eliminated all soy, though they were still a little "off" until I cut out eggs, peanuts, and wheat, too. It took me a good 6 weeks, I think, because I kept messing up on soy. I didn't realize for a long time that the vit D drops I was giving him (DiViSol) had soy in them, or that my prenatal vitamins might have soy. I also stopped using the lip balm that had vit E in it (can be soy-derived). With all your eliminations, it would be so hard to keep track of all the hidden ingredients that could be derived from those foods. I know corn is one of the especially sneaky ones, and so is dairy, soy, and wheat. You might get some help from the Food Allergy board if you haven't been there already.

I wonder if your supply has been affected due to the eliminations, and that is making your LO cranky at night. If you're taking in drastically fewer calories it can affect your supply, and maybe he's hungry. On the other hand, he could just be entering the 4-month wakeful period! I know how overwhelming this is and how you start to second-guess everything you ate when he's cranky or not sleeping. I think if his diapers haven't improved in a week or 2 I would take him back to the dr. For us, our pedi eventually referred us to a pedi GE, who recommended I cut out wheat, and he got better after that. GL!!

• ">1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing? We're doing well. We just keep limiting. I tried organic gummy bears on Sat after crying about the price. Then Sun DS had green liquid poop. That was the only new thing so he reacted to something there even though it was supposed to be top 10 allergen free.

>2. What sorts of responses have you received from people you've told about your MSPI diet? All my coworkers feel horrible for me. Even DH feels bad eating in front of me and tries to hide the fact that he is eating ice cream or Mac and cheese after I fall asleep.

>3. Any new snacks or recipes you'd like to share? Nope. I just keep limiting more and more so I don't get a chance to branch out.

We are now avoiding dairy, soy, tree nuts, peanuts, gluten, and lettuce. I would love to have someone else cook for me because I'm getting sick of the same thing over and over.

• MommyMegs said:
    Hi everyone!  I wanted to introduce myself.  I have a 3.5 month old son and we are trying to figure out his intolerances.  Currently, I am off of dairy, soy, wheat, eggs, fish, shellfish, nuts, tree nuts, corn and garlic.  I am also a vegetarian, so I am struggling to make sure I eat enough protein. 

Wow, that is a lot of eliminations! Have you enlisted the help of a dietician? That has to be super challenging.

For my DS his diapers became less green and mucousy once I finally eliminated all soy, though they were still a little "off" until I cut out eggs, peanuts, and wheat, too. It took me a good 6 weeks, I think, because I kept messing up on soy. I didn't realize for a long time that the vit D drops I was giving him (DiViSol) had soy in them, or that my prenatal vitamins might have soy. I also stopped using the lip balm that had vit E in it (can be soy-derived). With all your eliminations, it would be so hard to keep track of all the hidden ingredients that could be derived from those foods. I know corn is one of the especially sneaky ones, and so is dairy, soy, and wheat. You might get some help from the Food Allergy board if you haven't been there already.

I wonder if your supply has been affected due to the eliminations, and that is making your LO cranky at night. If you're taking in drastically fewer calories it can affect your supply, and maybe he's hungry. On the other hand, he could just be entering the 4-month wakeful period! I know how overwhelming this is and how you start to second-guess everything you ate when he's cranky or not sleeping. I think if his diapers haven't improved in a week or 2 I would take him back to the dr. For us, our pedi eventually referred us to a pedi GE, who recommended I cut out wheat, and he got better after that. GL!!

rocknrollfriend Thanks for your reply!  I know it is not a supply issue because my ds is off the charts for weight!  I think it is either his belly bothering him from his intolerances or the 4 month wakeful.  Either way, it is not fun at all. 

I know you said that I have a lot of eliminations.  So, I am curious as to how you came to find that your dc was intolerant of eggs, peanuts, and wheat?  Did you eliminate them all at once or what did you do?  I am completely overwhelmed, so I would love to hear how other people went about dealing with this situation and discovering exactly what it was that was bothering their little ones' bellies.  Thanks so much for your help!
  • @MommyMegs  For us it literally took 4.5 weeks of me being completely off all dairy (hidden and obvious) before his diapers were normal.  It can take a good 2 weeks for all dairy to be out of your system and then another 2-3 weeks for it to clear LO's.  So it's possible that maybe your LO isn't sensitive to all the items you've eliminated.  He/she is just still reacting to lingering dairy. 

If it were me, I'd stay off everything you've eliminated so far and as rocknrollfriend suggested give it another week or two. If baby's diapers get better, then add back one thing at a time and watch for changes in diapers & baby's mood.  Be sure to wait a few days between adding back new items so if there is a reaction you're sure to know which item caused it.  If after waiting a week or two you are still seeing mucous in baby's diapers then definitely get an appointment with a pedi GI & a maybe a dietician to help you figure out a diet that works!

GL!

image imageimageimage

• @MommyMegs CLLDLL gave you some good advice. There's two ways to go about it - eliminate a bunch of potential culprits and then add foods back to your diet one at a time, as CLLDLL suggested. Since you've already eliminated so many foods that is probably the way to go. What I did was eliminate one at a time and look for improvement. I did eggs and peanuts at the same time, though, so I'm not sure if he's sensitive to peanuts (I'm sure about the eggs now because I've tried giving him some directly and he breaks out in a rash and gets gassy). HTH!
  • Hi all, I want to introduce myself. I have twin 2.5 year olds and a 4 month old (he'll be 5 months this weekend). All three were NICU babies and all three have soy intolerance and dairy allergy and my baby is also egg intolerant.  I'm also a vegetarian so the no egg, soy and milk is making cooking interesting.  My oldest drank donor milk during their 3 month NICU stay and then switched to formula  (Alimentum) when they came home. With my youngest I am exclusively breastfeeding. He also has GERD, a formula allergy (he had to be sent back to the NICU due to a bad reaction), stomach motility and gastric emptying issues.  This is my first time with the elimination diet and exclusively breastfeeding so I am excited to find a group who gets it.  The high risk pregnancy board and bed rest check in kept me sane during my pregnancy and bed rest.

Now that we have his diet and medication figured out he is doing well and finally starting to gain weight. His weight gain has been very slow and is actually what kept him in the NICU longer then he should have been.

I've finally got a good meal planning system in place. It was hard to find one that fit my now vegan diet, my toddlers diet and my picky husbands food preferences.

2. What sorts of responses have you received from people you've told about your MSPI diet?

I get the usual jokes about eating twigs and berries. But most people are sympathetic and understanding.

3. Any new snacks or recipes you'd like to share?

My latest snack find (a tip from a local MSPI mom) is the Trader Joes Dark Chocolate Honey Mints. Not getting a regular chocolate fix was starting to get to me. But these little chocolate bites are just choc. liquer, honey and mint oil.

4. Any other burning questions you'd like answered?

Mom to three beautiful preemies:

Lily born at 27 wks: 2 lbs 4 oz.
    Max born at 27 wks: 2 lbs 2 oz.
    Glenn born at 31 wks: 3 lbs 9 oz.

My twin's birth story
  • @komurphy Welcome! Holy moly, you've dealt with a lot of serious issues with your kids! I'm so glad things are going well for you all now. I hope you find this group to be helpful and stick around - I'd love to hear some of your MSPI-friendly vegan recipes!
  • I want to introduce myself as well. This board has really helped me a lot as I have tried to figure this whole sensitivity thing out. My DD is 6 months old today. She had mucousy, green poop at 6 weeks and a bloody one showed up at 7 weeks. We have been doing non dairy since that time. At first my Dr. suggested just obvious dairy, but I didn't see much improvement so I cut it all out. Diapers went to normal in about 3 weeks or so and have been ever since. The week of August 19 I had some bread that I thought was clear and was not. She had no reaction, so since that time I have had some "cooked in" items with no problem. I think I overdid it last week on vacation, stupid cookies and donuts, and have noticed the mucous returning this week. Anyhow, this week I have gone back to having nothing hidden or obvious. I was just wondering what others have experienced with this. We had 6 month appt today and Dr. suggested just trialing it out and seeing how it goes. Any experience with this?

I am fine when at home and can follow routine. Vacation was tough. LO is happy and healthy with exception of some messy poo. No spitup, moodiness, or other symptoms.

Most people say that "you are better than me" for sticking to it and not caving for formula.

3. Any new snacks or recipes you'd like to share? Found a Betty Crocker pumpkin cupcake mix that is clear!

4. Any other burning questions you'd like answered? See intro!

• @whitles128 Welcome! Our pedi gave us the same advice, though it was at his 12 mo appt, not 6 mo (at that point we were still figuring out what he was sensitive to). I think it's pretty rare for babies to outgrow MPI at 6 mo, though obviously she can handle a little bit of hidden dairy. It sounds like she is still sensitive to it when you have a lot of it, though, so personally I would wait a few more months before trying more dairy. HTH!
  • 1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing? We're doing great

2. What sorts of responses have you received from people you've told about your MSPI diet? They usually just ask me if he'll grow out of it

3. Any new snacks or recipes you'd like to share?  No

4. Any other burning questions you'd like answered?I'm just finding it hard to deal with eating gluten, dairy and soy free while being pregnant.  I have nausea 24/7 and only certain foods seem appealing.  I would love a bagel with cream cheese right now :(

BabyFetus Ticker

• miniray said:

4. Any other burning questions you'd like answered?I'm just finding it hard to deal with eating gluten, dairy and soy free while being pregnant.  I have nausea 24/7 and only certain foods seem appealing.  I would love a bagel with cream cheese right now :(

Ohh, I remember that stage. That must be really hard. Hang in there! Hopefully it will pass soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"