Baby Names

Ace and Emersyn?

2»

Re: Ace and Emersyn?

• Awe well I hope you can use the name! And congrats!
  • Have you considered using Monroe as a MN for Ace??  I think Ace Monroe sounds nice.  And I personally like Emersyn.  I have a few "boy's" names picked out for girls as well and have used Y in the name too as I like what it looks like :)  Almost all names have alternate spellings, as do many words, so I say spell it how you like :)
  • Loading the player...
  • smccoin said:
    I am open to different opinions and I can handle things I don't want to hear. But yes some people were being rude.
    Ok whatever, if you are really that sensitive I promise you are not going to like this site.
    Not sensitive and I can be just as rude as others on here but I choose to be nice. Maybe some others should do the same. :)
    You really just don't get it. No one was mean to you.
  • It is just me who wants to pronounce Emersyn differently than Emerson? In my head it comes out Emer-sine (rhymes with wine).
    I was thinking this too.  To my ear it's a subtle difference because the syllable is unaccented, but it is definitely a different sound.

Spelling isn't arbitrary; it conveys meaning (as Scarlett&Gatsby explained) and pronunciation.  That's why it matters.  You can control what you name your child, but you can't control the language, because you share it with other people.  Names, like other words, are an element of communication, and a modification in spelling that you view as a matter of personal choice is going to change what your child's name means and how people perceive it.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Yeah, I really think Noah and Scarlett make an adorable sibset.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I like Ace. It's cute, but it sounds like a nickname. Emersyn is fine, but I hate that spelling. I love Scarlett is so cute, but I worry about the nickname Scar, otherwise it would be my girl name.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I'm keeping a running tally on how many times the word "rude" is used in this thread.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ceridwen21Ceridwen21 member
    edited September 2013

You are confusing rudeness with honesty.

Emersyn is awful. 

Ace makes a great nickname or middle name.  I just feel that it puts a very forceful hyper-masculine/too cool for school label on a person.  What if Ace wants to be a librarian?

Good luck with your decision.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Ooooook. Well Scarlett is about 1,000 times better than Emersyn. If you don't want to hear why, that's fine. It looks like you're leaning towards Scarlett anyway.

I love Noah! I don't think it's that popular around here, at least. I'd pick that. Ace does sound a bit nickname-y, though it's a cute nickname.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I like Scarlett better than Emerson. Emersyn is terrible IMO. I'd stay away from Emerson Monroe because it's completely gender neutral, I'd rather pair Emerson with a feminine MN. Ace is ok but NMS. I knew an Ace. Sounds more like a nickname to me though. I like to use family names for middle names, regardless of the flow with the FN. Is there a favorite grandpa or someone else's name you could use for a MN?
  • I don't think Ace is a very grown up name.  You're probably not going to see a Supreme Court Justice with the first name Ace. It's a childish nickname that could literally work for any other name you have.  

Scarlett is a million times better than a misspelled boy's name.

You can't really ask for opinions and then limit the scope of the opinions you're given.  Such is the the internet.
    Anniversary 
  • NerdyLucy said:
    smccoin said:
    That's the thing. I feel like Ace is very hard to pick a middle name for. Maybe I can convince hubby to pick a different name.

If he is absolutely set on Ace, has it been considered as a middle name instead of a first name?
    I agree that Ace would be better as a middle name.  
  • You asked for opinions, so here is mine. I don't hate Emerson, but anything that ends is "son" is a boy name "son of...". Just because you change the spelling doesn't make it a girls name IMO. I love the name Claire so I would pick Scarlett Claire and I actually like the name Ace as well so maybe if you love Emerson use that as a middle name for Ace.
  • Oh boy.  I haven't read the replies, but I can imagine.

Ace is a wonderful nn.  I know this because it has always been my dad's nn for me. As much as I love being his "Ace," I don't like it as a first name.  Your child won't be a child forever, and someday an adult will have to live with the consequences of your choice to use a name that makes him sound like a heavy metal musician.

I really like Emerson for a boy.  The non-traditional spelling doesn't make it more feminine, and it just seems misspelled.

Emery?  Emmeline?
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Please ladies only give the responses she wants to hear! what is wrong with  you ladies. how rude to tell her that her spelling is awful.

don't you now "ace and emersyn?"  translates to..... only tell me if you like the names, not the spellings~

• Am I the only one that immediately thought of Ace Ventura?  

Also, yes, you are the parent and it is 100% your choice what you want to name your child, but please remember that it's not YOUR name.  Your kid will have to live with it the rest of their lives, so it's not about what you like, it's what you think will be a good name for someone else to live with for a lifetime!  

On that note, purposefully misspelling (there's a huge difference between alternate spellings, and deliberate misspellings) a name will be a nightmare for your son/daughter as they will always have to correct everyone.  Not to mention that misspellings just make you, and by default your kid, look illiterate.  So please, take this into consideration when choosing a name...
  • I really like Scarlet Grace. And I actually love Ace as a middle name paired with a more classic first name.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"