Food Allergy

Breastfeeding and eczema and allergies

My DD#2 has eczema and is breastfed. Even though she has no blood or discolor in her poop is it still possible that what I am eating is what is causing her eczema?  
Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Breastfeeding and eczema and allergies

• It's possible. Eczema and allergies often go together. I discovered that DD2's eczema was caused by me eating nuts. Once I stopped eating them, her skin cleared up within a week. We had her tested for allergies because DD1 has allergies, and sure enough, DD2 is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts.

Having said that, there could also be an environmental cause. You could try free and clear detergent, wool dryer balls instead of dryer sheets, fragrance free, sensitive baby wash/lotion...We use Earth Mama Angel Baby shampoo/body wash and Vanicream for lotion.
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • my son had eczema head to toe from my milk. After getting him tested and finding out he's positive for milk/eggs/nuts/soy and me removing all the allergens from my diet his skin completely cleared up.  When ever he had any mark on his body (mainly arm/leg creases and cheek) than i knew either i ate something forbidden or he had something by accident.  

here is a post with photos of before and after - https://youngallergies.blogspot.com/2010/10/before-and-after.html 

The before was on his really GOOD day since i hardly took photos of his serious breakouts.  
  • Loading the player...
  • magdusia at what age normally will they test and would you recommend a dermatologist or allergist. I got the creases to clear up but she has a patch on her cheek the size of a quarter that I can't get to go away.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • CrashIntoMe1 what creams do you use?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • jllmb79 said:
    magdusia at what age normally will they test and would you recommend a dermatologist or allergist. I got the creases to clear up but she has a patch on her cheek the size of a quarter that I can't get to go away.  
    We took him to the dermo way before realizing it was an allergy and she just gave him steroid creams which helped but it was more of a cover up.  We spent a lot of money on a dermatologist which was a waste. 

We went to an allergist when my son was 7 or 8 months old but that was because he went into shock after i introduced eggs so the ER sent us to an allergist. 

Most allergists won't test until after 1st birthday.  How old is your DD?  i would just go to one for an opinion.

In the mean time i would start a food journal and write exactly what you're eating and when she breaks out the worst to see what's causing it. 
  • magdusia DD#2 who has the eczema is only 6 months old. I made and appointment with a dermatologist but earliest they can see us is not till mid October. We have an appointment also that week for an allergist for DD#1 who has a seafood allergy maybe they will answer a few ?s about DD#2 at that appointment. 

I eat all the key allergens pretty much everyday Milk, Eggs, Nuts, wheat

BabyFruit Ticker
  • yes - DD had TERRIBLE head to toe eczema.  ped sent us to the allergist, and that's how we learned she has food allergies.  dairy, soy, peanuts, treenuts, sesame, mustard and chickpea.  when she's exposed to minute amounts of an allergen, even through breastmilk, her eczema flares up. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yup. My DD never had blood in her poop (at least that I could see) but the poor thing lived the 1st 8 mo of her life covered in eczema and with what the pedi kept telling me was reflux. I finally got fed up with the pedi, brought her to my derm. He did a skin biopsy and based on what he saw he referred us to the allergist. Within 48 hrs the allergist had her skin completely cleared up and she was a brand new baby. Trust your mom gut- if you think something is wrong speak up!
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"