October 2011 Moms

Read Selfie lately?

It's 5:00 a.m. and I've been awake all night listening to hurricane winds and rain pounding my window, so I decided to drop in on the Selfie blog. Apparently I'm way behind on L's education because her 18-month-old already knows "the whole English and Russian alphabet (both sounds and letter names) on her own by using [iPhone] apps."

I'm so ashamed.

Re: Read Selfie lately?

• Well isn't she Spechul.  I'm from the camp that maybe she's learned by rote, like perhaps she can "sing the ABC song", but if I showed her a particular letter out of the context of her beloved Iphone app could she determine the name and/or sound of letter? I'm skeptical.  I mean I'm not saying it's not possible... but I have a VERY hard time believing anything selfie says about much of anything to begin with.... 

After working in a preschool and understanding how so many kids can "count" by rote (just from memory recite 1-10 or something) but not actually be able to make an association 1-1 to count objects, or "Know their ABC's" but not actually be able to pick out a single letter on a chart... just makes me more skeptical.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Selfies daughter will always be smarter than everyone else's child. She will have her doctorate by age 5 I am sure.

I find it all to be a crock.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Loading the player...
  • I believe that just about as much as I believe she's not a mail order bride.
  • WAIT - Miss "I won't garden because it might turn my child gay" is letting her 18 month old have SCREEN TIME?  Doesn't she know that every minute of screen time before 2 kills 48,000 brain cells?

Methinks someone is overcompensating because she knows she'd get jumped on for ignoring her child and letting her rot her brain
    ;)

BTW - I deposed a doctor last week who said that children who seem to pick up the alphabet before 5 aren't actually learning anything.  They end up being persons with great memories (which you don't learn until they're older).  So basically, what Selfie is saying is that her daughter spends so much time on those apps, that she's able to remember what she's seeing.  Like how kids memorize songs without actually understanding the meanings.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • https://getoffmyinternets.net/forums/mommy-bloggers/art-of-making-a-baby/page-518/
     Page through this and they have all kinds of dirt on Selfie. Around page 300ish they dig up some old blog she had about how she meet her husband when she was 16 and he was in his 30's online. You will get lost in the black hole! YWIA

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• https://getoffmyinternets.net/forums/mommy-bloggers/art-of-making-a-baby/page-518/
     Page through this and they have all kinds of dirt on Selfie. Around page 300ish they dig up some old blog she had about how she meet her husband when she was 16 and he was in his 30's online. You will get lost in the black hole! YWIA

She's not kidding when she says you will get lost with that link! I went through it a couple weeks ago and it's like a train wreck that just keeps wrecking and you can't look away.

I've always thought everything Selfie posts has been a crock, but as her daughter gets older I start to wonder how much her mom's worries about perfection are going to affect her.  

• Oh selfie. I love her little train wreck. My kid says I love you ALL THE TIME. You know why? Because we say it to her. She doesn't really know what it means.

What a lil liar selfie is. Also - Very excited to get into that black hole of selfe dirt tonight after work!

Lil' P Est. Oct '2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Here we grow again!
    ETA: August 14, 2014
    BabyFruit Ticker

aaaaaaaaand I got sucked in. I have seriously spent an embarrassing amount of time reading through that forum over the past two days. So much to read, so little time! I can't believe I hadn't heard of that get off my internets forum before... it's kind of life-changing :x

BFP #1: 3/4/2011 ~ EDD 11/14/2011 ~ DD Born 10/26/2011
    BFP #2: 10/12/2013 ~ EDD 6/23/2014 ~ Natural MC 10/28/2013 @ 6wk
    BFP #3: 6/4/2014 ~ EDD 2/13/2015 ~ b-HCG dropped 6/18/2014, Natural MC 6/20/2014 @ 6wk

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Anybody else having issues accessing selfie's webpage on their phone? I keep getting an error but it only happens on her site. I'm comfy on the couch and don't want to go get my computer :((

BFP #1: 3/4/2011 ~ EDD 11/14/2011 ~ DD Born 10/26/2011
    BFP #2: 10/12/2013 ~ EDD 6/23/2014 ~ Natural MC 10/28/2013 @ 6wk
    BFP #3: 6/4/2014 ~ EDD 2/13/2015 ~ b-HCG dropped 6/18/2014, Natural MC 6/20/2014 @ 6wk

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Work is really slow today (obvs, since I haven't been here in awhile). Looking forward to the black hole.
  • So, selfie is a real aw asshat, however... Li does know all of her letters in any context, not just memorized in one circumstance. We 100% credit the Endless Alphabet app and ABC Mouse.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"