1st Trimester
Options

"interview" on the phone with the nurse before appt

I am five weeks along with my second child. We had to choose a new doctor this time since our first one moved away. When I called this past week not only did she tell me they wouldn't see me for another three weeks but that I have to speak with the nurse over the phone and have an interview about my history and have my blood work done before I even go in. She didn't even ask me my age or if I had any prior pregnancies so I am not sure how they know what blood work I should have done. I work full time and I wasn't even given an idea of when this nurse would call me. Does this sound strange to anyone else? Should we just drive the extra 25 minutes to a different doctor or go with this office and hope for the best? I never had these problems with my first but that was five years ago.

Re: "interview" on the phone with the nurse before appt

• Options
    She asked if I had seen my family doctor and if I had a due date and that was it. I know they are the only office in our town but I thought she would take the time to ask just a couple more questions.
  • Options

It's normal not to go in until at least 8 weeks. It is normal that they go over your history (I wish my office did it over the phone, that's awesome! One less trip to the office) Every pregnant woman gets blood work done.

Seeing as how this is your second child it is very odd you don't know all of this already. Sure whatever, go to a different office, it will be the same thing anywhere you go.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks for the answers. I know I have to have blood work but with my first I called at 5 weeks and the doctor I went to saw me within a week and didn't schedule blood work until the next appointment so I was just thrown off by the way they were handling it. I guess I just had a different type of doctor the first time and since it has been five years I guess things have changed.

• Options
    With DD1 I called my Dr at 5 weeks as soon as I got a BFP and they told me they don't schedule appointments until 8-10weeks. With this LO, I have a new Ob. I called again as soon as I got the BFP. They scheduled me for a phone appointment with the nurse at 6 weeks, an appointment with the nurse at 10 weeks and with the Ob at 14 weeks. There's really not much for them to do this early on. I'm sure the nurse will go over your history on the phone and explain the bloodwork then.
  • Options
    3 years ago when I was pregnant with DD they had me come in at maybe 8 or 9 weeks for a nurse to get my history, then I saw the midwife at 12 weeks.  This time around they said that they do the "history" over the phone and my MW appt is at 10 weeks.
    DD #1 born @ 38 weeks 11/1/10
    BFP #2 Jan 2013 - MMC found at 11 wks, measured 8w2d.
    BFP #3 August 30, 3013, EDD 5/7/14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"