4 Weeks Pregnant
Options

Can anyone relate?

So I took a test on Monday to confirm that I was pregnant even though I knew as soon as I was late on Saturday, and even before then I'd been having symptoms (heart burn, gurgly belly, food aversions). So on Tuesday I called to see about scheduling my first Dr's appointment, since this is my first and I've never been pregnant before, and the lady that answered the phone basically was like "You're not even really officially pregnant yet, maybe call us back in a few weeks to schedule then." Has anyone else had that? It makes me feel like I shouldn't even be excited yet. But at the same time I am, and I'm just pissed that someone at a doctor's office would say something like that you know what I mean? Miscarriages are very rare in my family, and especially in this day and age right? Why are people so set that the worst will happen? I'm just wondering if anyone can relate. The problem is I live in a really really small town with 1 local hospital so it's not like I have options on the doctors office that I go to, so I'll be going there when I schedule something eventually, and I'm already ticked at them.

Re: Can anyone relate?

• Options
    I can't believe anyone would be that rude! I wasn't even late when I found out...I just felt off. I found out Saturday, and I am due to start today (yeah - no more periods for a bit!). I have one child, but he is 11. It's almost like a first time around because I forgot so much about pregnancy. I called my dr on Monday to schedule an appt. They said I had to be at least 6 weeks before the appt, but went ahead and scheduled it for me. They were super nice.  It's 9/24/13!
  • Options
    tiffanydibonatiffanydibona member
    edited September 2013
    When I found out I was pregnant, I think I was 3w3d (love those sensitive hcg tests =) .  I went to make my appt, and I think she was surprised that I knew already.. I'm having my care at HCMC and their goal is to see you at about 10 weeks.  I ended up with an appt at 7w3d, so my husband could come to the ultrasound portion.  I love the midwife I saw at my annual exam/preconception visit, and I get to see her again in a few weeks.

Sorry you had a rude scheduler when you called!  Besides, even though you are early, you're pregnant.  You can't be "barely pregnant" of whatever!   I don't see why she didn't schedule you for several weeks out, I mean, you can always cancel.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm four weeks as of Wednesday and I got the official from the hospital yesterday. You ARE pregnant at four weeks. You are "officially pregnant" after three and the egg as been fertilized and done all of it's stuff and settled in your uterus. I'd call again or another hospital completely.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Basically the lady said they don't schedule anything until about week 8 or later, and like I said they're the only hospital that's only 20 minutes away, so I am still going to go with them, but I'm just not letting her rain on my parade. I have no reason's to worry at all. I knew as soon as I was pregnant before even missing my period and I haven't had any spotting, or problems of any kind, and I won't. I'll just wait 2 more weeks and call back to schedule then, and hopefully get one of the other receptionists. Thanks everyone for relating with me. :)
  • Options
    They didn't schedule my OB appointment but they got me in to take a test to comfirm and to set up medicaid prenatels and wick if you need it. So I'd at least make sure you get those things. Prenatels are really important and the sooner you start them the better:]
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I've been taking prenatals for months now because of TTC, and I was told the sooner that you start them the better. And I also had the financial department at the hospital send me the forms that I need to fill out in order to get financial assistance, so I at least have that stuff started.
  • Options
    I know. She didn't even tell me anything, and this is my first pregnancy. Luckily I've been taking a prenatal for about a year now because I knew that we were going to be trying and it doesn't hurt to start taking them. But I asked a coworker that has gone there and she was like it's probably the bitchy receptionist that no one likes that answered. So evidently I just need to cross my fingers that she doesn't answer the phone whenever I call now.
  • Options
    MNgirl326MNgirl326 member
    edited September 2013
    Basically the lady said they don't schedule anything until about week 8 or later, and like I said they're the only hospital that's only 20 minutes away, so I am still going to go with them, but I'm just not letting her rain on my parade. I have no reason's to worry at all. I knew as soon as I was pregnant before even missing my period and I haven't had any spotting, or problems of any kind, and I won't. I'll just wait 2 more weeks and call back to schedule then, and hopefully get one of the other receptionists. Thanks everyone for relating with me. :)

Really?  You have no reason to worry at all? and are confident you won't have ANY problems?   Because you have been taking prenatals?  Wow.  I wish I had your confidence

You do know (I'm sure you do because you are so confident) that 1 in 4 pregnancies end in miscarriage. And you do know that there are entire boards dedicated to miscarriage and loss.  And I'm sure you know that miscarriages   don't have to  run in families or are due to genetics, and that you can be an incredibly healthy person and still have one, even if you have been taking prenatals for a year.   They can just happen.  For no reason, out of the blue. 

There is a reason they make you wait 8 weeks.  Because reality is, some people don't get to that 8 week marker.  Was the receptionist a bit rude, sure.  But you sound a bit sanctimonious yourself. 

I wish you the best for you pregnancy and hope you never have to go through the devastation of a loss, but please don't be blind to the fact that it could happen.  If you want real proof that it could happen at any point of a pregnancy, take a wonder over to BOTB and read the "we lost him" post. 

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Thank you abartow for trying to rain on my parade. I know about miscarriages have been around many in my family that have had them including a cousin I lived with whom had 7 in total, 5 while I lived with her, and sat and cried with her each time, and had another cousin that made it to 7 months and ended up losing the baby, had to give birth and bury it. I'm not being sanctimonious or a bitch. I'm just trying to be confident. You know the power of positive thinking? In truth I've been freaking out just as much as the next mother to be that is on the boards, but excuse me if my language came off as being to confident, and hopeful for your tastes.
  • Options
    Oh, and I forgot to mention my sister who has been trying since she was 19 to have a baby and is now 37, got pregnant exactly 1 time and didn't know, went in for x-rays, and then lost that baby, and has not been able to conceive since. So thank you for assuming and judging me from 1 post that I made.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

So the "miscarriages are very rare in my family" comment in your first post was what, a lie?   Or are you lying now to try and make me feel bad?

For someone who has apparently been around so many miscarriages here entire life and know people that have struggled with IF and gone through difficulty, it would be assumed then you can understand why they don't want to schedule people until 8 weeks.   Thus making your OP a huge waste of all of our time and instead an opportunity to make things bigger issues then they need to be. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I'm sorry I should I have made it more clear. My complaint was that the lady basically laughed at me for calling. I personally have never been pregnant, am 31, and have been going to that doctor since I started going to the OBGyn at 19. And she didn't even schedule anything with me. Just said to call back. And they normally take a month to book anything. Excuse me for just writing how I'm feeling at that one moment and not really stopping to think. That's not common on the internet at all.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

I agreed with you that the receptionist was rude.  My over all comments were on your attitude of "this can't and won't happen to me (in this day and age no less)" because in reality it could. 

Whatever though,  Good luck to you and I hope you have healthy pregnancy. 

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"