April 2014 Moms

So where are we drawing the line these days with baby showers?

Re: So where are we drawing the line these days with baby showers?

• We only used bottles consistently for 3 months, and I didn't boil very often. I think they'll be fine, but I could stand to pick up a couple anyway I'm sure.
    Team Green!!  Swerbaby 2.0 is growing away!
    image     mean_girls_35345

• Plan on using all of my old bottles and I was going to use my toffees crib mattress I had no idea you were supposed to have a new one with each baby.
  • I'm not buying a new crib mattress either.

• We only used bottles consistently for 3 months, and I didn't boil very often. I think they'll be fine, but I could stand to pick up a couple anyway I'm sure.

Same here. DD loooooooved (well, loves) the boob! I won't be replacing - maybe the nipples, since I never even had to bump up levels. And yeah, not buying a new crib mattress either.
    mean_girls_35345 
    EDD: April 1, 2014 - Pregnant with our 2nd {BOY!} child
    ColleenSwerb
  • Kristy774 said:

Plan on using all of my old bottles and I was going to use my toffees crib mattress I had no idea you were supposed to have a new one with each baby.

If this is a rule, I've never heard of it (not that that's saying much ;)) -- I just wouldn't buy one second hand off Craigslist! We will be reusing DD's mattress.
    mean_girls_35345 
    EDD: April 1, 2014 - Pregnant with our 2nd {BOY!} child
    Kristy774
  • Think the crazy big shower people are also the crazy big 1st birthday party people?
    Rachel 
    BiggerinRealLiferanaverdejap618
  • Amen @rrrrrachel
    We made it 9 months BF, but every few weeks my nipples would end up a total mess and I would be in so much pain.

• One more thing, for those of you who say "no games", I think this is rude. The games aren't for you, they are for your guests
    First off, I didn't say no games, I said no LAME games. I let them know a few I was ok with. Secondly, I asked this and would be happy with no games because I've been a baby shower guest for ten years, hated almost every game, and resented being made to do them. (I also hate ooh-ing and ahh-ing over every. single. gift. But that's another story.) And I don't think I'm alone here. Every shower I've hosted, baby or otherwise, I've been asked for no games, and had guests stare at me with trepidation when I announced there was going to be a game. None of my friends are fans of shower games, and I've never met anyone save some of the ladies on this board (@Kristy774) who were like "yay, shower games!" So watch your rude pointing finger, missy. Methinks my defensive hormones are up.

As a frequent baby shower guest I concur. I used to attend showers with my mom when I was a little kid and there were never any cheesy games. I never realized that cheesy games were a baby shower "thing" until I got older and started going to my friends' showers. I've noticed that the classier showers don't have games and they serve alcohol. I think most adult women would rather be treated like adult women at a baby shower than like 5 year olds at a birthday party. I've even been to a coed cocktail party shower.

I hope that when we announce we're expecting a close family friend or relative will throw me an adult centered baby shower. If not for me for my guests! Baby showers can be brutal especially when you're no where near close to getting married or having trouble conceiving. I want my friends to be able to enjoy themselves. Wine is going to go a lot further than grab bags filled with sweets!

When the Lord closes a door, somewhere He opens a window.
    dani+californiaAcaAwkwardBiggerinRealLiferanaverde
  • The only baby shower game I have enjoyed is present bingo. You can do it while talking and if you don't want to play you don't have to.
    ColleenSwerbMyNameWasTakenaviola329BiggerinRealLife
  • The only games I like are the baby ice cube game (which usually involves drinking mimosas) and the plate one where the hostess draws a star under one or two plates and those people win a prize. Both games are fun but are little effort to the guests. I don't mind the crossing legs/clothes pin game even though I really suck at it.
    imageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    MyNameWasTaken
  • I can get behind the present bingo. The clothespin game is kind of annoying, but it isn't bad. Other games that I've played have been the cheesy, dumb ones.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • To the lady and the DVD invites and 5000 dollar venue, wow just wow I have no other words for your post....

Minions

This is in reply to you and the cheerleader demo doll who I see still has her panty up her ass!! Are either of you paying for my shower?? I don't recall you guys knowing me well enough to care so much how much my family and friends love me to spend their money. My hubby is being considerate to my sis, mom and cousins who 1 recently had a baby so it would be a lot to do on their own so that's why they're working with a planner and my husband travels a lot. It won't be a surprise to me I'm sure there's going to be a lot of things I'm unaware of as far as details and things but I'm just showing up I have too many people involved to be the one planning it. And my hubby said if he wants to pay 10,000 for a place why is it such an issue to anyone but him. He's not worried AT ALL so why the hate about my previous invites or how much him or my family is paying??? Obviously if they can spend that much it not about the gifts it's about celebrating LIFE. Sorry that offends you guys!!

Im Bless and that's what I'm claiming idk what AW means sorry but the big apple is just a saying. I do live somewhere where everyone around me goes big. One of my girlfriend hubby rented a mansion in LI for her bridal shower and for her baby shower and her hubby bought her a range rover as her shower gift! Should he not??? That's too much. As a friend I just showed up and help and thats what people that loves you do. I don't see why anyone not paying or involved would care what anyone do with THEIR own money. It's crazy to me to see people be so judgmental about how much love someone receives. As I said after what I've been through I'm just happy to have a healthy baby. It could be 10 people to 300 people gift or no gift we don't care so please don't either.

It's ok demodoll if you hate me you don't stop my Blessings and obviously your the one not happy and pretty isn't about your face its about your heart.

If you have any issues with me be a grown WOMAN and inbox me not try to come at me like a child on a thread LOOKING FOR MY ATTENTION. Hi I see You
  • Tl;dr

• Now I need a cupcake after typing all of that about a damn baby shower!! It's a freaking shower people ,if you don't care to attend someone shower,if you don't like the person ,if you think they're over the top ,too controlling or involved or wants gifts or no gifts who cares don't go ,don't acknowledge the person. It's a shower !! Some people don't even make it to that point or have anyone to do that for them. Count your Blessing for even being able to have a baby and get over SOMEONE ELSE SHOWER!!!

X( :(( :\">
  • Real housewives of the bump, right here, ladies.

Seriously- she sounds like Teresa or Melissa from RHONJ...

b-(
  • No wonder her invites were a DVD, she can't write a comprehensible sentence!! 

You're right so I had DVD's made. My family and friends loved it. :-bd
  • Real housewives of the bump, right here, ladies.

Seriously- she sounds like Teresa or Melissa from RHONJ...

ETA- my fav part of that block of text- the friends hub who rented a mansion... If they were that well off they would own a luxury home that could accommodate a gimongous shower! MUD
    They do but I'm sure if you're inviting people from your job you won't want them in your home.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards