Multiples

So confused. :\

My OB's nurse just called me and confused me.

Had an unsuccessful NT scan last week. Today I had a different scan in a hospital with a better machine (I guess) and the scan went much better.

After my appointment the nurse from my OB's office calls me all confused about where I was supposed to be today. Something tells me she's not the brightest bulb in the tree. She made the appointment!

Anyway, she tells me the Dr (from the old scan) was having a hard time determining whether or not our twins were fraternal or identical?!

At first they told me they were fraternal and one was conceived a few days after and that they were in two different sacs. Now that's all changed?

I don't have any identical twins in my family. I always thought that was genetic? I dunno. I'm so confused. Can anyone help clarify?

Re: So confused. :\

• Fraternal twins run in families, since they result from two eggs being fertilized, and the "hyperovulation" gene can be passed down. Identical twins happen when one fertilized egg splits, so there is no genetic predisposition to that....can happen to anyone.

As far as being able to tell if they are identical or fraternal, the u/s can only determine if your twins are mono/mono (sharing a placenta and amniotic sac....sounds like this is not your case), mono/di (one placenta, two sacs), or di/di (two placentas, two sacs). If you have mono/dis you definitely have identical twins. Di/dis are most likely to be fraternal twins, but a percentage of them are identical, and the only way you would find that out is after the twins are born with a blood test. So, technically, you can't really determine in utero whether twins are fraternal....you can only know if they are di/di....maybe that's what the nurse was getting at? Or maybe she just didn't know what she was talking about. Either way, I hope this helps a little. @peakay also has a great diagram explaining the different twin types. It's amazing how much there is to learn!
  • Loading the player...
  • Are you seeing a MFM or high risk OB/Gyn?  It sound like the nurse (and maybe the doctor) is very confused.

(1) Just because twins are fraternal does not mean that they were not conceived at the same time.
    (2) Identical twins are not genetic.  Fraternal twins can be genetic.
    (3) How far a long are you?  By the time of the NT scan, the doctor should be able to see if there are separate sacs and/or separate placentas.  Sometimes it is hard to see the separating membrane at first, but by 12 weeks, it should be visible.
    (4) Fraternal v. Identical is not the important terminology during pregnancy.  It is important that you and your doctor know if the pregnancy is mono/mono, mono/di, di/di, etc.

this exactly. And even if they are in two different sacs and have their own placenta they can still be identical unless of course they are boy/girl. 

Together 6 wonderful years.
    TTC #1 18 months 1 loss DX unexplained IF-- BFP July 2009-- ITS A BOY
    TTC #2 3 years and 3 losses DX PCOS -- BFP April 2013-- TWIN BOYS!
    ~DS1-Feb 2010~ 
    ~DS2&3- Nov 2013  {7 weeks early}~ TTC #4~
  • How far along are you?

It's possible that the placentas fused together and now look like one. And as marchesa said, they could be identical even if there are (were) two separate placentas and sacs.

J - 9/6/09 L and A - 1/17/12
  • Wow this is all so new to me. I'm waiting back on a call from them. Sounds like I need a different doctor. I am 13 weeks today.
  • If they're mono/mono is it safe to say they're fraternal?
  • I'm sorry I mean identical!
  • If they're mono/mono is it safe to say they're fraternal?
    Nope, exact opposite of that....
    mo/mo = identical
    mo/di = identical
    di/di = could be either frat or ID
    Evelyn & Jocelyn   9/19/2013
  • Ledo said:

If they're mono/mono is it safe to say they're fraternal?

Nope, exact opposite of that....
    mo/mo = identical
    mo/di = identical
    di/di = could be either frat or ID

I totally meant to say identical. Preg brain!
  • Ok. Good idea. I will definitely look into that. Thanks everyone!
  • TWO SACS! One placenta! Holy crap!
  • They're Mono/Di :)
    Welcome to the club!
    :)

Like PP said though, you do want to get into an MFM pretty quick and start getting monitored by them.
  • Ledo said:

They're Mono/Di :)

Welcome to the club!

Like PP said though, you do want to get into an MFM pretty quick and start getting monitored by them.

I got one! They're going to start with my mid term ultra sound next month then I'll go from there. Tufts Medical in Boston, MA. One of the best in the country.

• Awesome!
    Welcome to the club!

I got one! They're going to start with my mid term ultra sound next month then I'll go from there. Tufts Medical in Boston, MA. One of the best in the country.
    oh great news - glad someone finally cleared that up for you. My cousin just had identical mono-di girls two weeks ago tomorrow!
    ********************************************************************************************
    Married my best friend, June 8, 2008

5/17/13 BFP!!! 6/6/13 - OMG its TWINS!

Josie and Lexie were born on January 4, 2014 at 37w2d
    Josie was 5lbs2oz, Lexie was 4lbs15oz 
    Both had a 9 APGAR score with no NICU time
    Planned unscheduled C-Section due to both being breech
    We all went home on Jan 6th, 2 days after surgery

My popular blog posts:

imageimage

imageimage
  • Good for you! Momo mom here and I've found it really important to have an mfm practice I trust... Good luck and best wishes for an h and h pregnancy with your LOs!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"