February 2014 Moms

Why do pregnant women rub their bellies?

edited August 2013 in February 2014 Moms
I realized as I was walking to lunch that my hand was on my belly, so I wanted to see why your hand is on your belly too.

Why do pregnant women rub their bellies?

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

"Life is a series of thousands of tiny miracles!" -Mike Greenberg

Re: Why do pregnant women rub their bellies?

• Chose special snowflake because mine is combo of reasons lol and that I sometimes and hoping to push my little guy off my left ovary where he really enjoy hanging out recently
    micaelasmakeup
  • I'm still getting used to the idea of a baby growing in there, and rubbing it helps a bit.

quietdownfiishMommaLisaSmilesAllareKelly
  • All of these. It depends on what stage of pg.
    when LO really starts to move and kick you will try to push them away from that spot. Because they love that spot. And you will hate that spot;) and it will feel bruised;)

imageimage
  • I just feel better with my hand there
  • I have no idea why I do this, it just happens.

Pregnancy Ticker

Ohiomama81
  • Ummm. I'm not sure. I guess I'll go with SS. I don't usually do this in public. Even at home I wouldn't call it "rubbing", usually just a hand is there if I feel a different type of kick wondering what body part that was. I haven't done it with this pregnancy yet, no kicks yet.
    Our baby boy passed to SIDS on 12/6/12http://oi59.tinypic.com/2vaebew.jpg
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    A gift from Heaven...Our Little RAINBOW arrived 1/31/14!

• I don't know how I forgot bonding/loving on baby. Oops!

"Life is a series of thousands of tiny miracles!" -Mike Greenberg
  • I think it's just a comfort thing for me. When I was pg with DS, I rubbed it a lot without even thinking. Just maybe a gesture of affection. 
    BFP #1 4/23/11, EDD 1/4/12::No heartbeat @9 wks::D&C 6/1/11 Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    OTMFL
  • All of the above, but mostly to "connect" with the baby and "hug" him/her!

BabyFetus Ticker
    quietdownfiish
  • @DreamingBabies  Baby Brain ;)

F14 December Siggy Challenge - Holiday TV

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    DreamingBabies
  • I do it to show baby love... DH does it too and he talks to my belly and tries to tell the baby he loves it more than momma. He asked me do I ever talk to it. I don't. Maybe once I start feeling it move the idea won't weird me out. I talk to my dog about the baby in momma's belly though...because I'm just weird I guess.

BLOG

TTC since November 2012. BFP: June 14, 2013

Thyroid Cancer dx: July 11, 2013 

Joined Team Pink (34 weeks) via emergency c-section: January 10, 2014

quietdownfiish
  • I find myself doing this a lot throughout the day. I think it mostly to feel connected with the baby and because I'm just in awe that there is actually a baby there. I also do it when there is a particularly strong growing pain. Although it has clued some people in to the fact that I'm pregnant and not just getting fatter, so that's nice.

TTC: 8/11    BFP: 5/13   EDD:2/2/14   Born 1/13/14

• I do it to show baby love... DH does it too and he talks to my belly and tries to tell the baby he loves it more than momma. He asked me do I ever talk to it. I don't. Maybe once I start feeling it move the idea won't weird me out. I talk to my dog about the baby in momma's belly though...because I'm just weird I guess.

I talk to the dogs about the baby too. Haha glad I am not the only one! ;)
    The user formally known as: njb750

My boys have big hearts! <3

Well, here we go again!      
    ivedonethisb4
  • I'm only 15 weeks, FTM, and it's already all of the above for me. Definitely there's an "I'm pregnant, not fat" element there. Ha. But also, the belly is tight/uncomfortable, and rubbing it admittedly feels good. And it's just instinctual, I think...

ShannonMB74
  • Right now it's mostly so people know my blump is part bump. Also, despite the fact that I can't feel the baby yet, anytime it's "acting up" (like I have a stomach ache or I'm nauseous), I rub my belly to try to calm it down. I know it can't feel it yet, but I think it's just kind of instinct. Like hey kid, knock it off. 

• Because it feels amazing!! 

• Another for bonding/loving on baby.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • I have no idea why I do this, it just happens.
    That's totally me. I don't even realize I'm doing it half the time!

• Right now it's to settle the "is she pregnant or fat" debate.

Later it's to give love and "play" with the baby a bit... I used to tap DS's little toes and he'd kick me back.

At the end, after DS (or should I remove the D part for this?) broke my rib, it was to move the little demon away so he'd stop kicking me in the broken rib.

image image
    littlepig2
  • At the end, after DS (or should I remove the D part for this?) broke my rib, it was to move the little demon away so he'd stop kicking me in the broken rib.
    Whoa, I haven't heard that story! I have so many questions! How the hell do you survive pregnancy with a broken rib? Also, did you feel like Bella from Twilight? Lastly, is DS already on a football or soccer team? Because he should be.

kracostaMommaLisaSmiles
  • SS cause I have many reasons but many cause it makes me feel like I'm bonding with LO already
  • It's finally somewhere to put your hands :) and bonding of course.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I chose SS because I could have picked all of those reasons depending on where in pregnancy I am.

BFP #1 5.26.08 DD born 1.4.2009
    BFP #2 3.11.12 m/c 3.17.12
    BFP #3 10.7.12 m/c 10.27.12
    BFP #4 2.24.13 ectopic MTX 3.13.13 Right tube removed 3.29.13
    BFP #5 5.27.13 EDD 2.7.14 *stick baby stick*

[all AL welcome]

image imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}

• Before this week, it was for bonding and just reminding myself that there's a little bean (lemon!) in there. This week - all RLP. I feel like I did crunches all night, my blump and skirt that won't zip up proves otherwise.

baby #1 due 2/25/14

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards