Trying to Get Pregnant

Your body *does* know when an egg has been fertilized

I hate to see bad information being passed around. It's called "early pregnancy factor" - a protein your body produces hours after fertilization occurs and it will show up on a blood test. 

Pretty cool stuff to read about.  If you feel like google-ing, there's a wikipedia page and a bunch of research articles on it.  It was discovered back in the 70s.  Makes me wonder why there hasn't been more research into this since and why its not more widely known.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Your body *does* know when an egg has been fertilized

• I've never heard of this so I can't say for sure but I would venture to guess that the research hasn't proven it to be reliable. I would be interested to read the studies to see what they found.

Also,I don't know if you're aware of this but Wikipedia is not a source I would trust on this particular subject. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think anyone can go on that site and add information. Not exactly credible.
                                                           photo Loss_zpse03013d0.png      image

Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker

Valancyysavannah_girllmdonnel
  • Your body may know, I can't say for sure whether that information is accurate, but there is no way your mind would be aware of it until it has implanted and symptoms begin.
    *****Siggy Warning*****

Married: 7/30/2011 - TTC #1 since June 2013 - Met with RE 6/24/14
    Me: Initial ultrasound: normal. CD 3 bloodwork: normal. HSG: Normal.
    DH: SA = Average motility, Good count.
    DX: Unexplained, possible Endo.
    September 2014 - Cycle 15: Letrozole with TI = BFN
    October 2014 - Cycle 16: Letrozole + Trigger + IUI = BFP!!!
    Beta #1: 32 Beta #2: 77. Heartbeat seen November 13th. EDD: July 8th, 2015
    TTGP 2013 Award: Most Supportive
    TTGP 2014 Award: Cutest Pets
    image...image.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • ksuRN09 said:
    I've never heard of this so I can't say for sure but I would venture to guess that the research hasn't proven it to be reliable. I would be interested to read the studies to see what they found. Also,I don't know if you're aware of this but Wikipedia is not a source I would trust on this particular subject. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think anyone can go on that site and add information. Not exactly credible.
    Correct. Wikipedia is a public and open source resource so anyone can modify an article.  Most articles cite their sources, but there definitely some incorrect information on there. You're better off relying on medical articles and studies when it comes to your body.
    12/11: Lap surgery; Dx: Stage 2 Endo
    12/13: DH's SA, HSG, Hysterosonogram, CD3 and 7DPO blood work: Excellent!
    1/14: MOAR surgery!: NEW Dx: Stage 3 Endo/Kissing Ovaries. Let IF treatment begin!
    2/23/14: BFP!!! EDD 11/1/14 Baby TeeJ was born on 10/27/14!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • ksuRN09 said:
    I've never heard of this so I can't say for sure but I would venture to guess that the research hasn't proven it to be reliable. I would be interested to read the studies to see what they found. Also,I don't know if you're aware of this but Wikipedia is not a source I would trust on this particular subject. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think anyone can go on that site and add information. Not exactly credible.
    In my former life (and current side-gig) as a journalist, we were forbidden to ever use Wikipedia as a resource for anything, as it was totally unreliable. Never base your information on Wikipedia.

imageimage

imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    pearlsandcurls84gscovillesavannah_girlslappiness
  • @dorothyzbornak97 - Very random... Loving the siggy pic!
    1/14: MOAR surgery!: NEW Dx: Stage 3 Endo/Kissing Ovaries. Let IF treatment begin!

dorothyzbornak97
  • Your body may know, I can't say for sure whether that information is accurate, but there is no way your mind would be aware of it until it has implanted and symptoms begin.
    There is some research backing it.

One major point she is missing? Fertilization =/= pregnant. The egg can be fertilized and fail to grow properly, there may be a genetic issue that stops growth immediately, it may not implant. If a fertilized egg guaranteed pregnancy, IVF would have 100% success rates. It does not.

That is true. I mean, sure it makes sense that parts of your body would be aware of fertilization seeing how fertilization is occurring in it. Parts of your body are aware of cell division in general, you know hair growth and all that. You're right, an egg can fertilize and not implant.
    *****Siggy Warning*****

image...image.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • For me personally, I'm not really interested in knowing if fertilization happens so I can then wonder if implantation will happen.  It seems entirely too stressful.
    ~ fifteen cycles ~ march 2014: chemical pregnancy ~
    ~ november 2014: diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease, began levothyroxine synthroid (it matters) ~
     image   image    image

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up.  The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." - Thomas Edison

MelanieAdam0707softservecityamberhoothoot
  • TeeJ526 said:
    @dorothyzbornak97 - Very random... Loving the siggy pic!
    Thanks! I thought it was pretty appropriate, especially with all the stupid posts on here lately.

imageimage

imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Joy2611 I didn't consider that aspect but you're right. It does seem like it would be unnecessary stress.

@dorothyzbornak97 When I was in college, all of our profs specifically told us Wikipedia would not be accepted as a source for our papers.
                                                           photo Loss_zpse03013d0.png      image

Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker

• A lot of things could go wrong during the 2ww. Sometimes its best not to know or realize these things. Ok your body realizes the egg was fertilized it doesnt mean that fertilized egg will implant. A fertilized egg does not mean pregnant. Its not worth stressing over...
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Valie18 said:
    In defence of Wikipedia - in some areas of research it's information is very good. It may even be more up-to-date than what you will find in journals (journals take time to publish even after articles are accepted.) But... Wikipedia is not a "source" although its references are usually a good indication of where to find relevant credible information.
    You can use Wikipedia to get links to legit stuff, but most people over the age of 12 know you don't say "Well I read it on Wikipedia" if you want it to be taken seriously.

I would say everyone over 12, but clearly we have found one person that missed that memo.

"People seem to couple an inordinate amount of stupidity with extreme laziness." ~ A wise interwebz friend.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

dorothyzbornak97savannah_girl
  • My son can't use Wikipedia for any of his research on papers either. He said he even knows people that for kicks loves to go in and change stuff.
    DS #1 9-27-93
    MMC 10-97 @ 14 weeks
    DS #2 12-22-98

TTC Since Jan 2012
    BFP 5-13-13 EDD 1-17-14 MC 6-24-13 Girl Trisomy 18
    BFP 9-14-13 EDD 5-27-14 MC 9-20-13
    BFP 10-15-13 EDD 6-27-14 MC 11-19-13 Girl Trisomy 16
    RE Diagnosis: Everything is normal.  Just Bad Luck because of age.
    Medicated Cycle 1  Gonal F, Trigger, TI, Progesterone  BFN
    Medicated Cycle 2 Gonal F, Trigger, TI, Progesterone BFP but MC
    Medicated Cycle 3 Gonal F, Trigger, TI, Progesterone  BFFN
    IVF #1 ICSI and PDG ER 6-12-14  19R 18M 18F, 10 made it to 5day PGD testing.  3 normal 2 girls and a boy.  FET of 2 9-11
    BFFP 9-15-14 Beta #1 9-19-14 8dp5dt 102 Beta #2 12dp5dt 497

Everyone welcome

• Of course I know Wikipedia is not 100% reliable.  Just thought it may be a good quick overview as opposed to digging through the medical studies.

And no, it might not be helpful information, just interesting.  I thought it was very interesting as it was something I never heard of until recently and thought somebody else might be interested too.

Maybe its possible someday we could have a test to detect fertilization a day or two after ovulation.  But then with implantation not a sure thing, is that something we really want to know? 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Joy2611 said:
    For me personally, I'm not really interested in knowing if fertilization happens so I can then wonder if implantation will happen.  It seems entirely too stressful.
    I agree, it's better to just wait the extra couple weeks instead of stressing about it.
    *****Siggy Warning*****

image...image.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • kim1730 said:

Of course I know Wikipedia is not 100% reliable.  Just thought it may be a good quick overview as opposed to digging through the medical studies.

And no, it might not be helpful information, just interesting.  I thought it was very interesting as it was something I never heard of until recently and thought somebody else might be interested too.

Maybe its possible someday we could have a test to detect fertilization a day or two after ovulation.  But then with implantation not a sure thing, is that something we really want to know? 

I find this very interesting. I am undecided.

image  image
    June '14 Siggy Challenge: Cute Baby Animals.
    Anniversary
    BabyFruit Ticker
    image  image

• ksuRN09 said:
    Wikipedia is actually more reliable than static encyclopedias these days. Yes, anyone can add information, but if it's totally off-base it will be corrected within minutes by others. 

imageimage

New to the 3T board? *~*~*~*Click HERE first!*~*~*~*

Losing the fight against my ovaries  37 38 months and counting

Me: PCOS secondary to Hashimoto's (thyroid), endometrial hyperplasia, and a blocked tube

DH-low motility and poor morphology

My long and convoluted 7 month testing history can be found HERE

Short story: if you've been trying for over a year, go straight to an RE. Don't waste time with an OB

Treatment History 

Medicated Cycle #1 (8/2013) 100mg Clomid , Stair-step to 150mg Clomid+ TI=  No Response
    Medicated Cycle #2, 3, 4 (9/13 10/13 11/13) 5mg Femara + TI + Ovidrel= BFN/No Response
    IUI #1 (1/14) 5mg Femara (CD3-CD7) + Follistim (50/100/150/200/250IU) = Over responded
    IUI #2 (3/14) 27 days of Follistim 50/75/100/150/200 (5 follies) + Lurpon+ IUI (12.5m motile) = BFN
    IVF #1 (11/14) Antagonist protocol - cancelled due to over response followed by a failed coast (plummeting e2's)
    IVF #2 (1/15) Estrogen Priming Protocol... not so common for PCOS'ers but I trust my doc on this one. 

PAIF/SAIF/PGAL/PAL ALL WELCOME! 
    All the love to my Bump BFF Biblio! Stick little Hobbit!!!!

Eff YOU Uterus: The Blog             image           Pinterest

"Fuck twins, it's a litter of kittens."- WQ

"Apparently, mine doesn't deserve luxury. I have an economy vag.- Bibliothecary

"On the way down the banister of life may your ass collect a thousand splinters."- DarcyHermione

• @byegurlbye It came to me in a dream. That's how you really know.

"People seem to couple an inordinate amount of stupidity with extreme laziness." ~ A wise interwebz friend.

[Deleted User]slappiness
  • Right, but YOU don't know the egg is fertilized and no doctor is going to waste time testing for this. Fertilization =/= Pregnant Gah. Please change the title of this before we get a million butthurt newbs in here telling us they felt fertilization.
    I can see it now... Threads that say, "I felt a cramp after O... Do you think it was because my egg was just fertilized?" 

[Deleted User]savannah_girlslappiness
  • Valie18Valie18
    1000 Comments 500 Love Its Name Dropper First Answer
    edited August 2013
    kim1730 said:

Of course I know Wikipedia is not 100% reliable.  Just thought it may be a good quick overview as opposed to digging through the medical studies.

If m/c rates are 1 in 4. ONE IN FOUR. Do you really want to know the frequency of fertilized eggs that don't make it?
    And the quote tree will forever be effed.

I've been thinking about and I think I'd like to know that fertilization can happen for us. After that I wouldn't want to know again.

image  image
    Anniversary
    BabyFruit Ticker
    image  image

[Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • TeeJ526 said:
    Right, but YOU don't know the egg is fertilized and no doctor is going to waste time testing for this. Fertilization =/= Pregnant Gah. Please change the title of this before we get a million butthurt newbs in here telling us they felt fertilization.
    I can see it now... Threads that say, "I felt a cramp after O... Do you think it was because my egg was just fertilized?" 
    Those already exist. Now it will be "I felt a cramp 1 day after O! Why won't my doctor bring me in for a test already?!?!?"

TeeJ526[Deleted User]DarcyHermionesavannah_girl
  • Right, but YOU don't know the egg is fertilized and no doctor is going to waste time testing for this. Fertilization =/= Pregnant Gah. Please change the title of this before we get a million butthurt newbs in here telling us they felt fertilization.

This reminds me...years ago on here, probably when I was TTC#1, in 2009, there was a post about a girl who felt a "pop" when fertilization happened.  I can't remember if it was MUD, but I don't think it was.  The poster was adamant she felt a pop, and she said her mother had as well.

son#1 born 6/2010

son#2 born 4/2012

son#3 born 7/2014

[Deleted User]
  • Valie18 said:
    kim1730 said:

If m/c rates are 1 in 4. ONE IN FOUR. Do you really want to know the frequency of fertilized eggs that don't make it?

The flip side is - If you go through 12 months of ttc and decide to seek help, is it useful information at that point to know whether the problem is with fertilization or with implantation.

Or maybe ... you're ttc and you know right away fertilization has not occured this cycle.  You have more piece of mind around things like taking advil for a headache, or having a beer for those 2 weeks where you might have otherwise avoided those things.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Veganlady
  • Seriously guys, I am going to o next week and felt a ton of cramps. Do you think the sperm found the egg early? I am going to the er for a test, ASAP.

Married 12/11. TTC #1 5/13
    Started testing 9/14. Dx= Unexplained Infertility
    10/14- 100mg Clomid+TI = BFN
    11/14- 100mg Clomid+TI= BFN
    12/14- 100mg Clomid+IUI= ?

My Ovulation Chart

DarcyHermione
  • ksuRN09 said:
    Correct about Wikipedia, anyone can go on and change information on that site.  I was always told not to trust that sight or use when writing papers.

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Valie18 said:

I've been thinking about and I think I'd like to know that fertilization can happen for us. After that I wouldn't want to know again.
    I can get behind it in that respect, in a fertility testing kind of way....but other than that I feel like it would just result in a new kind of loss that we all don't need. Does that make sense?
    That makes total sense to me.

image  image
    Anniversary
    BabyFruit Ticker
    image  image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards