February 2014 Moms

Humana Insurance - Breast Pumps

So I was looking online to see if Humana covers the cost of a Breast pump. I came across this on babycenter. I have not called all the numbers myself. But for those of you with Humana it looks like we are covered. I plan to call Humana and check before I make these calls incase anything has changed, but they cover $200 is what this post said. I'm looking for the Medela double pump, probably freestyle... which happens to be the same pump this poster was looking for. This information is just for those of you with Humana Insurance... I'm sure it varies by company... Below is the info I found:

1.) EdgePark Medical Supply- 1-800-321-0591. This number came from their website as the direct breast pump information line. I had heard of them right here on bbc, so I tried them first. I have to say, NOT very impressed. The woman that I spoke with was rather rude, and not too helpful, and they were out of Medela brand breast pumps and did not know when they would be back in stock. She said to just call back periodically to see if they had them. Uh sorry, I do not have time for that, I have a new baby!! In their defense though, I think they have been overwhelmed by breast pump inquiries. Probably because it has been posted here an elsewhere on the internet as THE place to go:). They do have the Ameda Purely Yours and Platex Double Pump currently in stock, if that's what you are looking for. 

2.) Direct Healthcare Supply- 1-888-344-3434 . It said it was Edwards Healthcare Services when I called, just FYI, so I think Humana hasn't updated the name change yet or something, but this is the correct place and phone number. The woman I spoke with was VERY friendly and knowledgable, a nice change from the previous call. BUT, they were out of Medela too. Their Medela breast pumps are currently on back order until the end of this month, March, and she was not sure which type of Medela it was that they would be receiving. She was happy to fill out an application, and would be in touch once they were back in stock. Btw, filling out app does not lock you in, if you find another one before then, just call back and cancel, no problem, easy peasy. I said I was going to try a few other places and may call back to get on the list if I wasn't successful. They did have Ameda Purely Yours and Hygia Cue? in stock. Never heard of that one, so I'm not even sure if I am spelling it correctly. 

3.) Care Point Medical Supply- 877-446-4584. ***SUCCESS***
The man I spoke with was VERY nice and VERY knowledgable. He said they had Medela Personal Double Pumps, which I was so happy to hear. I am not sure if they carry other types, as I didn't inquire. They previously dropped the price down to exactly $200, so it is covered at 100% for me! Yay! He took my insurance information over the phone, checked it, and then took an electronic voice signature that I agreed to, and that was it! EASY! I should be receiving an email confirmation shortly. It will be shipped to my door and should be here in about 5 days!! Yay! I am so very excited! 

Even though I was already successful, I went ahead and called the last 2, just to be more helpful and thorough:). 

4.) Byram Healthcare- 877-902-9726. From their website, I obtained a direct line extension specifically for breast pumps. There was a LOOOOOONG WAIT, because all representatives were assisting other customers. Here is that number:
1-877-902-9726 ext. 33973. Be prepared to WAIT! After literally 22 minutes of waiting, I just hung up! Sorry, no more time for that! I tried just calling without the extension and just ended up being transferred to the exact same place:(. Again, if you go this route, be prepared to WAIT!! 

5.) Aprea Healthcare- 512-451-5599. Again VERY friendly! I believe you may need to be local for this, they DO have Medela Freestyle, which is the only one they carry, and it can take up to 14 business days to receive. Since my policy only covers up to $200, and the Freestyle seems to be over $300 when I search it online, I would need to pay over $100 to cover the difference. 
Missed out on July's siggy challenge. 
I blame sleep deprivation, and laziness

Lilypie - (lv0g)
aprilmhess

Re: Humana Insurance - Breast Pumps

• I think (and I could be wrong) that if you are in the US, Obamacare covers the cost of breast pumps no matter what insurance plan you are on.
  • You might be right @djtippietoes these are just the numbers I found that supposedly Humana has it's customers call to get their pump through them.

Lilypie - (lv0g)
  • You might be right @djtippietoes these are just the numbers I found that supposedly Humana has it's customers call to get their pump through them.
    I hope my comment didn't come out as rude or anything!  I was just trying to say that I think that others not on Humana can get a breast pump covered too.  
  • i don't think the ACA specifid how much or what kind a pump an insurance must cover. It's just that they have to cover some kind of pump.I think the wording was pretty vague, so it's up to the insurance carrier to decide what kind of pump they want to cover.
    Face Slaps:  2/14 Siggy Challenge:
    The 20 Best Gif Slaps Of All Time
    Lilypie - (Q6LH)

Lilypie - (XhH1)
  • I just checked and my insurance only covers the cost of a certain manual pump... no thanks. But this is a good reminder for people to check before they buy!!!

♥ z ~ bfp 8/8/12 ~ edd 4/8/13 ~ mc 8/18/12 ~ link 
    ♥ hobbit ~ bfp 6/9/13 ~ edd 2/21/14 ~ born 2/21/14 ~ Hanna Lea 

• versedversed
    2500 Comments Sixth Anniversary 500 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2013
    And people should know that Medela isn't the only way to go for pumps - do research! I've had both the ameda purely yours and the hygeia. Both great pumps with closed systems that are super easy to clean.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Virgo&Aquarius
  • pskpsk
    Tenth Anniversary 250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Love Its
    And depending on your insurance they will only cover a manual pump, unless your doctor writes you a prescription for needing an electric. Everyone should at least look into their options before buying on their own!
  • I have Humana insurance, and just ordered my breast pump from Yummy Mummy. 855-879-8669. They knew what was covered, and are handling all the paperwork. I got the Ameda Purely Yours Deluxe for no out of pocket cost. That includes extra bottles, carrying case and cooler bag. They also have the Medela and Hygeia, if that's what you want. Coverage depends on your individual plan, but you can call Humana Beginnings for help, or the number on the back of your card. Also, you can order up to 30 days before delivery. Hope this helps!
  • I have humana and Carepoint Medical was very easy to work with... they are checking on my benefits now and will contact me if the pump isn't covered at 100%.  They have the medela double electric and the hygia double electric.  If my insurance covers the entire cost they will ship the pump in 3-5 business days.  www.carepump.com will take you to their website and the direct number to the breast pump department is 888-211-3792.
  • I have Humana insurance, and just ordered my breast pump from Yummy Mummy. 855-879-8669. They knew what was covered, and are handling all the paperwork. I got the Ameda Purely Yours Deluxe for no out of pocket cost. That includes extra bottles, carrying case and cooler bag. They also have the Medela and Hygeia, if that's what you want. Coverage depends on your individual plan, but you can call Humana Beginnings for help, or the number on the back of your card. Also, you can order up to 30 days before delivery. Hope this helps!
    ^^ This, I have Aetna, but Yummy Mummy was on their list too. I did the whole order online, got an Ameda purely Yours (they did have Medela too), they contacted my insurance to verify, and shipped it to me. Crazy easy!
    Formerly known as clb2196
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    image       image
  • I have Anthem but got my bp through Edge Park.  I got the Medela and received it pretty quickly.  I'm sorry you had a bad experience with them and that they were out of the Medelas!  It was so easy, gave them my info and my doc's info and they did all the rest!
  • AmyG*AmyG*
    10000 Comments 500 Love Its Third Anniversary Name Dropper

what pump you can get will depend up on your policy as much as the provider of your policy. not all policy providers/insurance companies in all states will work with all the durable medical equipment companies listed.

so always start with your insurance company giving your policy information first.

unfortunately a lot of companies are providing manual pumps, or unknown brands or models of electric pumps.  I've heard many new names of pumps recently being give out by insurace companies.

standard brands are medela (spends a lot on advertising, so most well known, but all that advertising ups the price), ameda (been around as log as medela, makes a closed system-multi user pump for less cost than medelas single user open system pump). Lanisoh pumps used to just be even less advertised/less costly versions of ameda systems.  Hygeia are good pumps also closed system, multi user, but I've heard their customer service sucks. models within these brand names are mostly good quality pumps.  Avent isis and medela harmony get top ratings if insurance gives a manual pump, at least you could take it to put in the diaper bag or use for emergencies, or ask if the cost could be put toward a better quality pump of your choosing.

The law says they have to cover a pump, that's all.  so read your policy and ask questions! 

AmyG*

I don't type posts; I type novels.

I don't get tags, sorry.

• To all commenting currently. I wrote this post back in August, before I did all the research on pumps etc. This post has been resurrected from the depths of our board... and really is no longer UTD

Lilypie - (lv0g)
    Bookshelves