Oklahoma Babies

Natural labor/delivery at St. John's Tulsa

I am wanting so badly to have a natural labor and delivery. My husband and I were interested in a birthing center but insurance would not cover it so we ended up at St. John's. My doctor is Dr. Williamson and so far we really like him. He has told us that he supports a natural childbirth and that I would not have to be stuck to a hospital bed during labor (unless there were complications). I feel comfortable that he would support my requests during labor and delivery but am curious about the rest of the staff who I will actually be with during my stay at the hospital. Has anyone else had a natural labor/delivery at St. John's and if so what was your experience like? Thanks!

Re: Natural labor/delivery at St. John's Tulsa

• I haven't, but I hear amazing things about St. John's for moms and babies and wouldn't deliver anywhere else. I see Dr Lakin. When are you due? You might also look into hiring a doula. I'm considering natural lullabies. They are really well priced and births using a doula are shown to be much better for reducing requests for epidurals and interventions like pitocin and cesareans etc.
  • I delivered at St.Johns and LOVED everyone there! I had to be induced because I was late and had an epidural. I wanted to wait as long as possible because I'd read that it could slow things down. There was no pressure. I progressed sooooo slow that by the time I'd finally reached a 3 and could actually get the epidural I was begging! It took about 18 hours to get me to a 3. After I got the epi and could relax, I went to a 9 in an hour and a half!
    For a large chunk of the time I had the outer monitoring only. I could change positions, get out of bed, walk around. Towards the end they put the inner monitor on the baby. Because i had been in labor for so long and close contractions, they wanted a better read on the baby. From what I could tell though it seemed to monitor just the same. This is the only thing I would change with my next baby. I don't want the inner monitor, poor little guy came out with a scratch on his head :-( They said it wasnt from that but....I dont think it was from me pushing either
    There was a copy of my birth plan in my file so each new nurse knew what i expected. I did not want my baby to get the hep b shot or the k shot. I had read stories about nurses giving it anyways and I went in ready for a fight. No pressure from anyone. 
    The staff for recovery were great too. Very helpful, answered all of my questions. 
    They seem to really want the whole experience to be how the mother wants it. I don't think they would pressure you in to anything unless the Doctor orders it or if they really think the baby is in danger. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi ladies!  I don't have time to post here on the bump much anymore, but I've been around for a while, even though I don't know anyone anymore!

Anyways, I delivered both my babies at St. John and absolutely loved it.  The nurses there are very natural birth friendly, even though my doctor was NOT natural birth friendly.  Why they care if we use pains meds or not is beyond me...  Anyways, I delivered my second naturally and had an amazing experience.  I can't say enough good things about St. John!

I also had a fabulous doula (Mercy Teague from Natural Lullabies).  I had a 12 hour labor with my second, and I know my husband was glad to have the extra support, and so was I.  And my friend saw Dr. Williamson for 2 of her pregnancies and absolutely loved him.  Good luck!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • edited September 2013
    I had a natural delivery at St. John. We loved the staff and they were all very supportive. Good luck
  • Thanks everyone! Very encouraging to hear that we've chosen a supportive hospital :)
  • My cousin, Shaun Lesser, is a certified midwife and offices at Hillcrest South. She is fantastic, if you are looking for other options.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"