August 2012 Moms

Bad diaper rash

So ds has a terrible diaper rash. He has welts on his butt and his scrotum is even red and irritated. On his inner thigh there is what looks like a huge bug bite too that my dh says is part if the diaper rash but it looks more like a reaction to a bite to me due to its size and placement. DS screamed when I put him in the bath because it hurt. I gave him naked time, zinc spray, Motrin because of course he's teething and that's what's caused the diarrhea, and Benadryl in case that's a bite in his leg. Any remedies or tricks you ladies know? He's miserable. Thanks!

Re: Bad diaper rash

• Corn starch helped a lot, but only if the cause stopped (in our case diarrhea).
  • Would you change him in the MOTN or just let him sleep? He usually stirs around midnight but puts himself back to sleep Ina couple minutes. I'm torn knowing he's got a bad rash.
  • Loading the player...
  • We didn't change him in the MOTN voluntarily, but he had the runs and was pooping when he never does. If he doesn't wake up, leave him be. IMO
  • Thanks! I hope the diarrhea stops so his rash can heal. Ugg.
  • I would leave him be too. Unless its a dirty diaper.
    It could be caused by yeast. If that's the case you can put lotrimin on it, I think. I know some others have information on this.
    victoria5month samantha5
  • the only thing that would clear up DD diaper rash when it got bad like this was Balmex. We have been using it since.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker
  • When the yeasties strike, I use a clean water dipped wash cloth, fan the butt dry, apply Lotrimin, and a smear of Aquaphor several times a day. I really think the key is thorough drying.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I agree with the baking soda bath and don"t use wipes. Try paper towels (good ones like Viva) with just water or rinsing on a towel with a peri bottle.

I knew ours wasn't yeast. It just lasted so long because the diarrhea wouldn't stop. As soon as it did the rash started to clear up.
  • I don't think his is yeast but how do you know the difference? It seems better this morning but the spot on his inner thigh is still pretty rough looking.
  • cedentoncedenton member
    edited August 2013
    I think you could probably google some images. Does he have diarrhea? I'd think if he doesn't have something obviously causing the rash, then it's more likely to be yeast. Also if there's something that looks like a bite I might take him into the pedi. I've had bug bites get infected before.

The corn starch recommendation is only if it isn't yeast. It will actually feed a yeast rash. Good luck! Does your pedi have walk-in hours? Maybe try that.
  • mswood1977mswood1977 member
    edited August 2013
    We used Resinol when DS got a super bad diaper rash from his antibiotics. You have to ask the pharmacist for it but it really works. We put it on DS and. He litteraly sighed with relief because it soothed the soreness right away and within 12 hours his rash was almost cleared.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000LD6SV6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1376422265&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY190

imageLilypie Premature Baby tickersimage

imageimage

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Ok I googled it and maybe it is yeast! It looks like red raised little bumps in areas. The leg is more rash but his bottom looks yeast! I will try the yeast remedies.
  • My LO has a nasty rash too, pretty certain it's yeast. I called my nurse triage line and I described it as sort of pimply looking. She didn't even need to talk to the doctor and sent an order to the pharmacy for nistatin.
    victoria5month samantha5
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"