February 2012 Moms

Toddler Constipation

What do you give your toddler to help relieve constipation? She cries everytime she poos and I know it is hurting her when she does.:(

Re: Toddler Constipation

• I think the same holds true of L now that when he is constipated I give him alot of the P fruits and it helps. If that doesn't help I may try some watered down juice since that isn't something he gets normally.  If that doesn't help I would ask my Dr.  I know several people who have had to use suppositories or even Miralax, but I would consult the pedi first before those last two. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Watered down juice does the trick for us.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I've not tried it personally but someone has said once before to give Kefir.  It's full of probiotics that apparently help with the process.  I've seen it in the yogurt section at the grocery store...they have it in plain, unsweetened, and there were a couple of fruit ones.  I've tried in once, and I thought it was disgusting.  You may have to mix in it with something, like milk, to get LO to drink it.  And I agree with the "P" fruits.

• DD used to scream through every bowel movement. After consulting with our Ped we limited her dairy (16 oz of milk and one serving of cheese or yogurt a day), fed her peaches or pears with every meal (she wouldn't eat prunes), plenty of water (i kept a sippy of water available at all times) and only whole grains. After 3 months of these diet restrictions she was still screaming in pain for BM so our Ped had us give her Miralax twice a day. It definitely helped and we are just now finished weaning off the Miralax and so far so good. Make sure when you alter her diet you are consistent and give it plenty of time to work. If not, I would ask her Ped about other measures. I hope your poor little is able to get some relief soon!

BFP #1 1/11/11 M/C 2/4/11
    BFP #2 6/13/11 Baby E born 2/18/12
    BFP #3 12/3/12 C/P 12/5/12
    BFP #4 2/10/13 Baby R born 10/19/13
  • DD loves dried prunes, and that's what we give her. DD holds her poop, then gets constipated because she holds it forever. The prunes help to soften up the poop so she has no choice but to go. Everything has been about poo for the past couple of months here.
  • Ask your Pedi, but our problem was so severe that we have to use 1/2 cap of Miralax every night before bed in a bottle. It keeps him regular.

My Colton...Growing up so fast!

And Coralee, his baby sister...On the way!

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"