February 2012 Moms

Student Loans and College Expenses

How much did your college cost you?

What degree(s) do you have for that expense?

How much longer before you pay it off?

If people don't want to answer this and would prefer an anonymous poll can someone make one for me?  I'm on my phone and don't think I can.  
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Student Loans and College Expenses

• How much did your college cost you?
    I just did this calculation more specifically and it is about $65,000 total 

I have a Bachelor's and a Master's - both from private universities so I don't think the total is that bad actually

I still owe about 47,000 and I hope to pay it off within about 7 - 8 years

If people don't want to answer this and would prefer an anonymous poll can someone make one for me?  I'm on my phone and don't think I can.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • How much did your college cost you? @$80,000 - paid for @ $40,000 with scholarships, the rest with loans

What degree(s) do you have for that expense? BS - Marketing

How much longer before you pay it off? If I don't pay extra it will be about 15 years (really big loan with really small payments - yay income based repayment)
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• Loading the player...
  • How much did your college cost you? $16,000

What degree(s) do you have for that expense? I'm a hair stylist 

How much longer before you pay it off? It's already paid off. We did a monthly payment plan and then at the end my grandma helped me pay off the rest
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• How much did your college cost you? undergrad = $128,000/ law school = $184,000 (yikes!)

What degree(s) do you have for that expense?  I have a BA and JD

How much longer before you pay it off? I am lucky.  My parents paid for undergrad.  I worked for a few years before going to law school and saved a TON.  I worked through law school, and I got a good paying job out of law school, so it's paid off now.  

I have no idea. My parents paid for two years through the Texas Tomorrow fund. I got a student loan to pay for the rest, which went into my parent's bank account. At some point they used that money for non-college related expenses and I had to get another loan. Yay!  I'm paying off all the loans myself, but I don't know what money went to school and what didn't. My brother's college education was completely paid for by my parents. In fact, the reason they stopped paying for mine was so they could finish saving for his before he even started college.

A bachelor's. I took a few more classes a year after I graduated, but they weren't towards a degree.

Less than a year.
    WTF, Starbuck's parents?  Was there some reason for this?

Seriously!!!!  WTF?!?!?  How are you not totally screwed up!?!?  

About $65,000

I have a BS in elementary education.  I taught for 3 years and hated it so I went back to school for nursing.  I have an AAS and a BS in nursing.

Everything is paid off.  I worked when completing my first BS and then I worked full-time through nursing school.

• I had a full scholarship for undergrad and law school for tuition/fees/room and board.  So, my only education expenses were miscellaneous "fun" stuff like being in a sorority, road trips, souvenirs from rowing regattas, etc. 

My husband paid for all of undergrad and medical school by himself, with some scholarships (his guidance counselor and parents weren't nearly as "with it" as mine were as far as figuring out what scholarships he could have received, considering he was first generation college, his parents made a combined 40k a year and he is Native American!)  That said, he came out of undergrad with about 15k in student loans because he worked through college and lived on a food budget of $20 per week--for all meals combined!  Medical school is just crazy-ass expensive, no matter how you do it, so he came out of medical school with 110k of loans, still living as frugally as he did in college.  That said, we are paying down tons of debt every month and will hopefully be finished with the remainder before he finishes his fellowship.  We have a goal that once he is "officially" a neonatologist (2 years), we will also be 100% finished with student loans!
  • $48,000.

BA in Dance

paid in full

• I think around 16,000 Degree: elementary education Paid off in full at graduation time

•  
    How much did your college cost you?
    $12,000 (undergrad) + $24,000 (grad)

BS in Psychology and MA in Counseling (conc. School Counseling)

We are on the 20 year loan, but we are paying extra on it. I would love to see it paid down in the next 3-4 years.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"