February 2012 Moms
Options

Separate bank accounts?

Have we had this discussion yet?  Do any of you have separate bank accounts from your SO/DH?  We have separate checking accounts, but a joint savings account.  We just never combined after we got married, and it works for us.  We transfer money pretty freely between the accounts, but for the most part, I pay the mortgage out of my paycheck and DH pays for groceries and childcare out of his.  Then we both pay for our separate "incidentals" out of our own account.  We definitely feel like the money is "ours," so it's not like he has his money and I have my money, but he balances his checkbook, and I don't, so combining our accounts would drive him crazy.  Anyone else do this?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Separate bank accounts?

• Options
    We have all the same accounts - however, DH has a "secret" savings account on top of our savings account. I know about it as in he told me but he pulls money from our checking when we have extra. This "secret" account is for when we go on vacations or Christmas $. He opened it up and didn't tell me cause he wanted to surprise me. He let it slip one day about it. 
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options

We have two checking accounts and one savings.  All three in both of our names.

One checking is for bills, so a set amount goes in there and all of our bills are on auto-pay.  So easy!

The second account is for daily spending, groceries, gas, etc...

Savings has an amount auto transferred every month (from the bills account).

Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have joint checking and savings. H also has his own checking. I am supposed to have my own, but I haven't gotten around to it. We get a small amt of spending money each week, but I just take mine in cash.
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Options
    We have joint checking and savings. H also has his own checking. I am supposed to have my own, but I haven't gotten around to it. We get a small amt of spending money each week, but I just take mine in cash.
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Options
    We have joint checking and saving.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We have seperate accounts. It works for us as well.... :)
  • Options
    We have checking/savings together. I have one from before I was married where all my devidends from stocks go but I never use it anymore. We basically keep it there as a side savings. Dh's name isn't on it since the builder fell through on our house and we're trying to buy we don't want to mess with our credit right now until we buy, but he knows my user name and password and can see what's going on with it.
  • Options
    Every bank account we have is joint . Also, both of our names are on the mortgage, etc. To DH and I, that's part of marriage. Not judging others, just saying that's how we operate.
  • Options
    We have joint checking and savings and we each have separate checking and savings.. DH gets paid, pays all the bills and savings account and we each get a set amount in our personal accounts that is "our" money. We spend it or save it however we choose. Anything left over after bills goes in joint savings or split between our personal accounts. It works great for us.

• Options
    Separate checking accounts.  DH makes the house payment and I pay the "bills".  We have a joint savings account and I have one of my own.  It works for us and we've NEVER had an argument about money.
  • Options

We have two joint checking accounts and one joint savings.  Both our paychecks go into the main checking account.  The second checking is at the bank our mortgage is through, so we write a check to that each month.  I also have two custodial savings accounts for DD that H is not on.  I believe he is listed to be the custodian should something happen to me but he can't see them online nor find out any information about them online or at the bank.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Everything goes in together.  We married young when we both didn't have much but together it was significant.   No secret accounts, I prefer it that way.  I don't have time to hid finances.     

• Options
    We have 1 joint checking that everything goes into.  DH makes like 3X as much as me (maybe even 4X).  He is also in charge of paying all the bills.  We have a money market account that is our savings and that is through Edward Jones.  I'm not on that but I have access to see it and I know how much goes in because I see the transactions from our bank account.  I have a savings account with my mom's name and my name on it.  She gets royalties from an oil lease and she deposits that into the account for Caroline.  I have had it over 2 years and only ever taken $50 out of it and that is because David didn't get paid at work and we needed formula and diapers so we used it for that.  Otherwise I will be saving it and as she gets older we will have her add money to it.  DH knows about it.  He doesn't have access to it but if he ask I show him what is in it.  No secret accounts here.
  • Options
    We have a joint savings and two joint checking accounts.  One checking is for bills, the other is for spending, we just started this and it really helps stay on budget.  DH has a credit union that drafts money straight from his check.  I know what is in it, and he has to request the money and I usually go pick it up so it's no secret, I'm not even sure I can add my name because it is through his job union.  It works for us because it is out of sight out of mind and we save a lot this way.  DH also has another checking for gifts and such, I write a check to the account every now and then so it is no secret.  We keep forgetting to go add my name in case of emergency.  I use my credit cards for special gifts.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    All of our accounts are joint, but to be honest, I really never look at them. DH pays all the bills and deals with all the money.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"