June 2013 Moms

Mastitis sux!!!

Boo! I woke up super achy and found redness and tenderness on my left breast. I've felt super cruddy all day! Not fun with a 3 year old and 1 month old. Can't wait to feel better!
Anyone else suffering or suffered? Did you take antibiotics? What about probiotics? How quickly did you feel better?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Mastitis sux!!!

• I've been fighting it almost 3 weeks. On antibiotics and probiotics. My LO is also taking probiotics. I am allergic to good antibiotics and now I am being tested for an abscess. I had my breast drained and waiting for results. Hope you feel better soon! It definitely takes a lot out of you.
  • I've been fighting it almost 3 weeks. On antibiotics and probiotics. My LO is also taking probiotics. I am allergic to good antibiotics and now I am being tested for an abscess. I had my breast drained and waiting for results. Hope you feel better soon! It definitely takes a lot out of you.

Wow! Sounds awful! Makes me feel like a baby! I hope it gets better for you.

• Loading the player...
  • Dealing with mastitis right now. I am on antibiotics for the next 10 days. Very painful!

Wow! Sounds awful! Makes me feel like a baby! I hope it gets better for you.

Your def not a baby lol I remember the first day and it definitely wasn't a good time. My DH called in sick to take care of LO lol

• skioskio member
    edited August 2013
    I had it. Took weeks to resolve and was close to the worst I've ever felt in my life. First showed up in right boob with high fever, aches, chills, soreness, redness on the breast. I was put on antibiotics for ten days. Four days later, my fever creeped back up. I realized I had soreness and redness in the left breast now. Went to OB, who said it seemed to be an antibiotic resistant super bacteria and put me on a second antibiotic. My fever was super high and I could barely lift my head off the couch. I could only keep it below 102 by alternating Tylenol and Motrin every two hours. Terrible. I was taking 8 antibiotic pills a day and it was affecting both my tummy and baby's.

Muffer, my H had to take off, too. DD2 pretty much camped out with me in bed or on the couch, but there was no way I could take care of my toddler.

If you have mastitis, it could get really bad really fast, and you need to see a doctor and get treated. Don't self-diagnose. I know someone whose mastitis was caused by MRSA bacteria and led to an abscess. She had to have the abscess drained and now has a packed open wound and can no longer BF.

And yes, if you get put on antibiotics, both you and LO should be on a probiotic to prevent thrush and/or a vaginal yeast infection.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • skio said:

I had it. Took weeks to resolve and was close to the worst I've ever felt in my life. First showed up in right boob with high fever, aches, chills, soreness, redness on the breast. I was put on antibiotics for ten days. Four days later, my fever creeped back up. I realized I had soreness and redness in the left breast now. Went to OB, who said it seemed to be an antibiotic resistant super bacteria and put me on a second antibiotic. My fever was super high and I could barely lift my head off the couch. I could only keep it below 102 by alternating Tylenol and Motrin every two hours. Terrible. I was taking 8 antibiotic pills a day and it was affecting both my tummy and baby's.

Muffer, my H had to take off, too. DD2 pretty much camped out with me in bed or on the couch, but there was no way I could take care of my toddler.

If you have mastitis, it could get really bad really fast, and you need to see a doctor and get treated. Don't self-diagnose. I know someone whose mastitis was caused by MRSA bacteria and led to an abscess. She had to have the abscess drained and now has a packed open wound and can no longer BF.

And yes, if you get put on antibiotics, both you and LO should be on a probiotic to prevent thrush and/or a vaginal yeast infection.

I didn't self diagnose. My OB called in the antibiotic today. I am going to pick up a probiotic tomorrow. I'm sorry you dealt with it so long!!! Are you better now?

• skioskio member

I didn't self diagnose. My OB called in the antibiotic today. I am going to pick up a probiotic tomorrow. I'm sorry you dealt with it so long!!! Are you better now?

Oh, good. Hopefully you caught it early and won't have any further issues. I'm better; the clot on my left side just finally cleared after three weeks. Both boobs are still sore all the time but I think that's just residual and/or due to BFing in general. I still get really engorged overnight!

Re: Probiotics, I talked to my pedi about something safe for DD and she recommended Bio Gaia, which I couldn't find anywhere. Then I found out that Gerber now manufactures Bio Gaia as a product called "Gerber Soothe" for colic. Sounds like a gas med, but it's actually a probiotic.

Feel better!

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Oh my gosh I think I have mastitis! Got super sick last night, high fever, chills , achyness, etc that came on suddenly. It was the worst I've probably ever felt in my life! Then this morning I noticed a red streak on one of my breasts. I just called my OB and they are having me come in this afternoon.

BFP 5/21/10, Missed m/c 7/5/10 at 11w3d (baby measured 7wks), D&C 7/7/10

Aug/Sept 2010 - CD3&10 b/w & u/s, genetic testing, SA, HSG, & Lap/Hyst to remove septum

12/09/10 BFP -- 7/05/11 DS born at 33w5d. Came home after 23d in NICU at 37w0d

June 2012 - TTC #2! -- 10/05/12 BFP --  5/23/13 DS2 born at 37w1d! Yay full term!

Surprise BFP 6/25/14 LO#3 due Feb2015!

imageimage
  • I had it in both breasts 8 days PP. it was awful!! I did start feeling better about 12 hours after taking the antibiotic then about 4-5 days to feel all the way better. I'm sorry it's the WORST!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"