April 2011 Moms

GTKY :-)

shaindelrshaindelr member
edited July 2013 in April 2011 Moms
Since the board's slow, here's a GTKY. (Questions taken from Oprah.com):

• Who was your favorite celebrity as a child?
  • What type of pets do you have?
  • What is your favorite color?
  • What is most memorable about your high school years?
  • What word describes you best?
  • What is your greatest accomplishment?
  • What drives you every day?
  • What is your favorite food?
  • Where do you want to retire?
  • What is your business goal this year?
  • Where do you like to vacation?
  • Who do you admire?
  • What is your mission?
  • If you were invisible, where would you go?
  • What traits in others are you attracted to?
  • What is the kindest thing anyone has done for you?
  • How do you want to be remembered?
  • What would you do with a million dollars?
  • If you were on an island, who would you want to be with? Why?
  • You have a 10 minute speech to give at a high school, what is it about?

Read more: https://www.oprah.com/spirit/Entertaining-Getting-to-Know-You-Questions#ixzz2aSq5EocO

MacAndCheese
Mac and cheese lover!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: GTKY :-)

• I left some blank in the middle. If I get inspired, I'll come back and answer them later. :)

• Who was your favorite celebrity as a child? I wanted to be Alyssa Milano when I was a kid. Then I fell in love with Joe McIntyre from NKOTB.
    • What type of pets do you have? We have 3 dogs: a chihuahua terrier mix, a beagle terrier mix, and a beagle.
    • What is your favorite color? Red
    • What is most memorable about your high school years? Lunch time discussions. My group of friends and I ate lunch together at the same table for all 3 years (HS was grades 10-12).
    • What word describes you best? Open-minded
    • What is your greatest accomplishment? This is sad, but I'm not sure that I have one thing that I can say is "the one". Getting my 2 degrees? Fighting my way through the immigration process? 10 successful years in my career that resulted in a pretty sweet raise last year? Buying a home? Completing 2 half marathons? Birthing a child? Maybe some day I'll be able to answer this question with confidence.
    • What drives you every day? I don't care if it's cliche- my daughter. I want to be the best possible role model both personally and professionally for her.
    • What is your favorite food? Potatoes in almost any form.
    • Where do you want to retire? I would love to have a home in NS (my home) and TN (DH's home and where we live) in our retirement.
    • What is your business goal this year? I'm not sure. Our new school year is getting ready to start, and I've been thinking about this a lot, but I haven't set my goals yet. The obvious answer has to do with increasing test scores, but that's not MY goal-- it's a school and district goal that I am obligated to work towards.
    • Where do you like to vacation? Nova Scotia. Some day I'd like to go to Hawaii.
    • Who do you admire?
    • What is your mission?
    • If you were invisible, where would you go?
    • What traits in others are you attracted to?
    • What is the kindest thing anyone has done for you?
    • How do you want to be remembered? As someone who "loved her neighbor" without judgement.
    • What would you do with a million dollars? Pay off student loans and other debts. Put some in savings for Nora and for us. Buy our forever home and decorate it. Take a vacation. Do some frivolous spending.
    • If you were on an island, who would you want to be with? Why? My husband and my daughter. It's true! They're my favorites.
    • You have a 10 minute speech to give at a high school, what is it about? Trying to paint a picture of what life 10-20 years after high school can be like. I think it's important for both the popular kids and the outcasts to know that their current social status does not permanently define them.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• shaindelrshaindelr member
    edited July 2013

Who was your favorite celebrity as a child? I don't really remember! Eek! When I was little, I wanted to be a Solid Gold dancer, though.
    • What type of pets do you have? Four cats -- Aeschylus, Sophocles, Kitty, and Elspeth, and three dogs -- Emily Jane (Beagle/Golden retriever mix), Cleo (boxer/Ridgeback mix), and Kip (border collie/Australian shepherd mix)
    • What is your favorite color? Orange.
    • What is most memorable about your high school years? The high-highs and low-lows.
    • What word describes you best? Fun!
    • What is your greatest accomplishment? I guess editing a magazine for 10 years and having two books published? Verse Daily featured a poem that was published in my magazine earlier this week.
    • What drives you every day? Thoughts!
    • What is your favorite food? Indian/Thai/anything spicy.
    • Where do you want to retire? I think I'll stay here forever (Pendleton, OR), unless I can afford a cabin in the mountains, too, like in Joseph, Oregon.
    • What is your business goal this year? Write more short stories.
    • Where do you like to vacation? I don't really get to vacation unless I'm getting paid to run a writers' workshop. I get to stay at a beach house next month thanks to Oregon Writers Colony :-)
    • Who do you admire? So many writers. A lot of great women writers who made my work possible.
    • What is your mission?  To write something truly important. To be a great English professor.
    • If you were invisible, where would you go? The office of one of our college Vice Presidents to overhear phone conversations. I bet they're hilarious.
    • What traits in others are you attracted to? Sense of humor. Intelligence. Anyone fighting for social justice.
    • What is the kindest thing anyone has done for you? My high school English teacher told me everything was going to be okay.
    • How do you want to be remembered? As a great writer/editor.
    • What would you do with a million dollars? Pay off debt, have a college fund for Liam, set up a writer's residency, fund my magazine.
    • If you were on an island, who would you want to be with? Why? Honestly? Maybe some horses, cats, and books... People are sort of difficult to be trapped with. Of course, I guess it depends on the size of the island.
    • You have a 10 minute speech to give at a high school, what is it about?Something along the lines of "It gets better." I love this quote from Cracked.com, though: "So take heart; some of you nerds will figure out how to be cool over the next couple of decades, while some of the coolest members of the football team will get fat and commit suicide in a trailer park." ;-)

MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!

• Loading the player...
  • GHBEAGHBEA member
    • Who was your favorite celebrity as a child? Mickey Mouse
    • What type of pets do you have? Two dogs and one cat
    • What is your favorite color? I love them all
    • What is most memorable about your high school years? Having a great group of friends
    • What word describes you best? ?!?!?! Friendly
    • What is your greatest accomplishment? Becoming a mother
    • What drives you every day? My 4 daughters
    • What is your favorite food? chicken, rice and beans
    • Where do you want to retire? Some where south
    • What is your business goal this year? To sell off the name brand clothes the little girls no longer wear
    • Where do you like to vacation? Disney World Resorts
    • Who do you admire? Positive people
    • What is your mission? To be a great mother and wife.
    • If you were invisible, where would you go? To bed
    • What traits in others are you attracted to? Humor, friendly, honest.
    • What is the kindest thing anyone has done for you? Hugged me when I felt life was at it's worse even though I would not talk to them.
    • How do you want to be remembered? That I was a good loving mother and wife
    • What would you do with a million dollars? Build a bigger house, give some to family and travel.
    • If you were on an island, who would you want to be with? Why?  My DH and children, because they are the people I am most happiest to be with.  
    • You have a 10 minute speech to give at a high school, what is it about?  I have be thinking for 15 minuets of what to talk about but they already know it all!
                                                 Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                                 Breanna, Ellie and 
                                 our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    • Who was your favorite celebrity as a child?  Hmmm, not sure.  I remember really liking Blossom, but that was the character more than the actress.  I loved her free spirit.
    • What type of pets do you have? A dog and two cats.
    • What is your favorite color? Purple
    • What is most memorable about your high school years? I had a very diverse group of friends.  There were nine girls and two guys.  Two of the girls were in wheel chairs, one wore leg braces for spina bifida, one was voted most likely to become a nun (she was Jahova's Witness).  We lost touch with one of the guys, the other went on to Silicon valley.  We had people of different nationalities, interests and sexualities and we had the best time together!
    • What word describes you best? Positive.
    • What is your greatest accomplishment? I take the most pride in being a good parent.
    • What drives you every day?  Learning and trying new things, even if it something small, like a new recipe.
    • What is your favorite food? Moose steak and a baked potato with blue cheese dressing on it.
    • Where do you want to retire? Ideally, a small ranch in Montana where I could have horses.
    • What is your business goal this year? We have very slow winters, so my goal is to find a way to be truly productive every day this winter.
    • Where do you like to vacation? My favorite vacation ever was to Europe.
    • Who do you admire? My Mom, she had the strength to get out of verbally abusive relationship and she is happier than ever.
    • What is your mission?  To be the best Me I can be.
    • If you were invisible, where would you go? Back to the barn where I used to ride, just to spend time with the horses.
    • What traits in others are you attracted to?  Kindness, a sense of humor, an adventurous spirit and a willingness to work hard.
    • What is the kindest thing anyone has done for you? A gym teacher took the time to talk and pray with me outside of class when I was going through some medical things in Jr. High.
    • How do you want to be remembered? As someone who was truly kind.
    • What would you do with a million dollars? Buy a house with a bigger back yard and an extra bedroom, and furnish it in a cozy, country style.
    • If you were on an island, who would you want to be with? Why? My whole family. We love each other unconditionally, and my dad could hunt for us, my mom can make everywhere a home, my husband helps to keep me calm, my son is happy, my brother is my rock, and my in-laws are endlessly generous.
    • You have a 10 minute speech to give at a high school, what is it about? Experience as much as you can, both now and in the future.  Life life to the fullest.
    Chase was born 4/23/2011
    Carlene was born 4/18/2014                          A14 siggy challenge:  Junk Food
    image  image image

• Where do you want to retire? Ideally, a small ranch in Montana where I could have horses.
    Twirple, Years and years from now, you might look into Pendleton... :-) We get a lot of students from Alaska/Montana; it's sort of an in-between of those two places.
    MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!

• shaindelr said:

Where do you want to retire? Ideally, a small ranch in Montana where I could have horses.
    Twirple, Years and years from now, you might look into Pendleton... :-) We get a lot of students from Alaska/Montana; it's sort of an in-between of those two places.
    OH, I'll have to keep that in mind!
    Chase was born 4/23/2011
    Carlene was born 4/18/2014                          A14 siggy challenge:  Junk Food
    image  image image

• Who was your favorite celebrity as a child? Mr. T :)
    • What type of pets do you have? None at the moment
    • What is your favorite color? Burgundy
    • What is most memorable about your high school years? That I left high school after the 10th grade to go to college
    • What word describes you best? Nice
    • What is your greatest accomplishment? My career
    • What drives you every day? Wanting to do better
    • What is your favorite food? Crab rangoon
    • Where do you want to retire? Hawaii
    • What is your business goal this year? Get the promotion I've been up for twice now
    • Where do you like to vacation? Hawaii 
    • Who do you admire? Hilary Clinton
    • What is your mission? Be a good role model for my daughter
    • If you were invisible, where would you go? I have no idea!
    • What traits in others are you attracted to? Humor, kindness
    • What is the kindest thing anyone has done for you? My friends drove 4 hours to come to my mother's funeral to be there for me when they had never even met her
    • How do you want to be remembered? As a good person who cared about others
    • What would you do with a million dollars? Buy a house, take a long vacation, and put some in savings
    • If you were on an island, who would you want to be with? Why? My husband - we make a very good team
    • You have a 10 minute speech to give at a high school, what is it about? These are absolutely not the best years of your life, there is so much more to explore, learn, love, and live!
    bfp 4/8/2010, m/c 4/16/2010
    bfp 7/31/2010, dd born 4/2011
    bfp 2/7/2014, edd 10/19/2014, m/c 2/25/2014
    bfp 5/22/2014, edd 1/27/2015, MMC 6/30/2014, D&C 7/8/2014
  • siajara said:

• What is your business goal this year? Get the promotion I've been up for twice now

• Who do you admire? Hilary Clinton
    Awesome answers :-) I wish we lived closer! The next time you're on business up this way, let me know. The new playground is even better than the previous one that K played on!

Sending good promotion mojo to you! Oh, and the one time I got to meet Hilary Clinton, I was *such* a spaz. All these other people were composed and all, "God Bless you, Senator." I think I squealed like a 1950s girl meeting Elvis or something 
    :\">

Have a great day!
    MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"