February 2012 Moms

cooking for one (and a half?)... HELP!

Hubby is going to be doing (another) super restrictive diet plan for the month of August (the Whole 30 one) and I will mostly be cooking dinners for Addy and I for the whole month. She is not a big eater, just average at best most of the time. What we do now for breakfast and lunch will be fine, it's dinner that I'm going to struggle with. I am used to making enough all 3 of us and we always have a good amount of leftovers. I need meals that won't have a crazy amount of leftovers! Yes, I could freeze things but I don't want to eat the same stuff over and over again within the month. The only idea I had that I'm diggin' right now is these- https://www.plainchicken.com/2012/03/sloppy-joe-biscuit-cups.html although I make them with cornbread mix instead of biscuits. I love that they are single serve and would be easy to freeze, plus it only makes a dozen. Anyone have ideas for smaller portioned meals? I am so used to my way of doing things after being married 4.5 years! 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: cooking for one (and a half?)... HELP!

• Can't you just make the same meals and just do half of the recipe?  Like if you made spaghetti do half the amount of meat/pasta/sauce.  If you were doing chicken/veggie/side just do half the amounts.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I do a baked parmesan tilapia (cooks quickly, super easy) because I can make as many or as few as I need.  Same for chicken recipes; I just make two to three breasts (favorite is a lemon caper chicken).  When it is me and one child I do soup (canned) some of the time because it is easy.  Also cook one package of chicken sausage; serve it as sausage one night then throw it ground in the crock pot with peppers, mushrooms, red sauce and serve over pasta another night.  I also love the gardein meatless products, and those are easy for me and one child or just me (if the kids have eaten something leftover I do not want to eat or there is not enough of for me - that happens a lot here - I have enough left overs for two - three kids and they all want it, but there is not enough for me or me and one child).  I also produce some things that will freeze well intentionally so it's a once a week leftover/already made item but not for all of us - things the kids don't like as much or only one child likes - like veggie stuffed shells, gnocchi and stuffed peppers.  I end up doing a lot of random cooking for two people, but it's only so we can eat everything and not waste food.  I also "repurpose" food.  For instance, I made garlic soy pork chops one night, then two nights later we had the leftovers shredded in wraps with lettuce served with BBQ sauce.  HTH!
  • Loading the player...
  • ssimon621 said:
    Can't you just make the same meals and just do half of the recipe?  Like if you made spaghetti do half the amount of meat/pasta/sauce.  If you were doing chicken/veggie/side just do half the amounts.
    If it is "halfable", yes. Some things are harder to "half." :)
  • I just get a lot of meat and portion it out.  Allison and I would eat a slightly larger than normal chicken breast so I find those in bulk and put them in individual freezer bags.  Easy peasy!

Also, I hate cooking so dinner is a lot of sandwiches/cereal/breakfast foods in my house lately (DH works 2nd shift so we never eat together).

Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"