September 2013 Moms

s/o shopping carts

Does anyone else have a problem using a shopping cart? I swear I will load a handbasket up until I can barely even pick it up, just to avoid the stupid shopping cart. I have no idea what it is. I did it not once, but TWICE today! My arm was killing me, but by golly I was going to make it to the checkout with just a basket.

I know this will have to change with a LO in tow. But anyone with me for now? Oh.. and I also have a problem taking a cart out to the car. Today I loaded 4 bags on one arm just to avoid having to take a cart out. I shake my head at myself.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: s/o shopping carts

• I can honestly say I've never had an issue using a cart. lol

Nicoleashlee26
  • I haven't had an issue pushing around a cart, even when it's loaded down.
    image imageimage

DS born 9/14/13 - MSPI cleared at 6 months
    NTNP #2 since 10/2013 because we are crazy like that
  • VitaLunaVitaLuna
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Love Its Fifth Anniversary
    edited July 2013
    I do use them for big shopping trips, but just going in for a few things (that turns out to be a lot of things, apparently), I just can't do it! And I honestly have no clue why.. I realize that it's ridiculous.

• I don't have a problem with them, unless I'm getting just a few light things I actually prefer them!

photo b2867ff1-04fd-412f-991f-a3e09638ec0f_zps4503f4a7.jpg 

• Oh, I would so much rather push a cart than carry a basket.
    Due September 4th! Pregnancy Ticker
    jdoud77
  • I haven't had an issue with shopping carts. LOL 
    Is this a pregnancy thing for you or has this always been an issue? 
  • Nope no issues using a shopping cart here either. I'd much rather push a cart than carry a basket. In fact lately when DH and I have gone shopping together I am the one to push the cart because I can kind of lean on the handle and give my back a good stretch while I push... if that makes sense. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Nicoleashlee26
  • if I am with DH I refuse to push the shopping cart. If I am by myself, then it is np.
    BFP#1 10/18/12 EDD 7/4/13 M/C 10/25/12 BFP#2 12/24/12 EDD 9/2/13 DS born 8/31/13 Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I hear ya! I used to be exactly the same! And then I had DD and now, even when by myself and only getting a few things, I usually opt for the cart.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I like the smaller carts rather than the big carts, but prefer a cart over a handbasket.

Jamie

Emily Anne b. 9/10/13

imageimage

• I haven't had an issue with shopping carts. LOL 
    Is this a pregnancy thing for you or has this always been an issue? 

I've always been like that, I have no clue why! I just feel awkward with this big cart with only a handful of things in it. I know I will definitely be a cart person with a LO, though.

• Zmommy2 said:
    I hear ya! I used to be exactly the same! And then I had DD and now, even when by myself and only getting a few things, I usually opt for the cart.

Phew! Thank goodness someone knows the feeling! I was starting to think I went off the deep end or something.

• redfallon said:

I like the smaller carts rather than the big carts, but prefer a cart over a handbasket.

They have those little ones at Wegmans and I love them. 

These are the worst carts ever IMO. They never have enough at my stores and even when you can get one, they are hard to steer and are so big that they cause me to bump into everything. 

• @Shanmarie1083 Little carts rule! I will stuff those suckers with what I can versus using a big cart. That'll change once I have LO though since they don't have anywhere for a baby to go.

Jamie

Emily Anne b. 9/10/13

imageimage

• I like the small carts too. My problem is having quarter to get the cart. For some reason, I never have one in my purse, so I often end up lugging a basket!
  • Chilko33 said:
    I like the small carts too. My problem is having quarter to get the cart. For some reason, I never have one in my purse, so I often end up lugging a basket!

Ours don't require any deposit like that. They're just there to use.

Jamie

Emily Anne b. 9/10/13

imageimage

• I don't have a problem with carts but everytime SO and I go to the store it's like, "we only need a couple things!" Aaaaaaaand it's actually 752 things and no room for them. No idea why we do that every. single. time.
    JLMcWeeney
  • @Chilko33 you have to pay to use shopping carts? At places like Target and the grocery store? I've never heard of such, where do you live?

• Actually, the ones from Ikea make me feel stupid! They move sideways as well. I hate going there because of the carts.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Before DD I would always just use a basket. Much easier to maneuver through a store without a cart. Now I need to contain DD. yesterday I used a cart and only ended up getting a thing of milk

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @luckymomma4 I'm glad it's not just me. I swear no matter which cart I get at Ikea I always end up pushing it in circles. They always seem to want to veer to the right. 

• I've always disliked hand baskets.  Carts are just more fun, IMO.
    Preemie Resources: http://preemiemomblog.blogspot.com/

DD1: BFP July 2010...HG in first tri, MC delivered vaginally at 18 weeks October 2010

DS: BFP December 2011...SCH at 5 weeks, SBR at 7 weeks, Placental Abruption at 13 weeks, Hospitalized at 25 weeks, pPROM at 28 weeks, PTL via CS at 31 weeks 

DD2: BFP January 2013...P17 shots, delivered via VBAC at 39 weeks
  • Actually, the ones from Ikea make me feel stupid! They move sideways as well. I hate going there because of the carts.

-----
    Oh my gosh, yes. I hate those things with a passion. You're strolling along in Ikea, cruising the aisles, when BAM the cart goes all sideways and you crash into something. Awkward.

• @shanmarie1083 it's like they don't want you to leave!!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I hate handbaskets and almost always use a cart.  Never had any problems with them unless the wheels are all screwed up (which happens once in a blue moon).

4/12/10 - Began TTC 8/2012 - IFV #1 - 18 follicles retrieved, 11 usable, 10 fertilized, 9 continued to grow, 2 tranferred, BFN :( 9/2012 to 10/2012- Treated for uterine infection 11/12/12 - Began IVF #2 12/19/12 - 2 embryos tranferred 12/24/12 - Tested Christmas Eve morning - first ever BFP!!! with a due date of 9/6 :) 12/28/12 - Beta #1 - 193 12/31/12 - Beta #2 - 624 1/7/13 - Beta #3 - 7544 1/14/13 - Beta #4 - 31,067 1/16/13 - IT'S TWINS!!!! Two healthy heartbeats! 8/22/13 9:51 and 9:52pm- Our precious Ashley and Kayla arrived in perfect health.  (Ashley - 6lbs 0oz, 18.5 inches.  Kayla - 5lbs 2oz, 17 inches.)

photo TwinsTriplets.jpg

Lilypie - (TZV1)image

• @Chilko33 you have to pay to use shopping carts? At places like Target and the grocery store? I've never heard of such, where do you live?
    Its to encourage people to return their carts.  You put in a quarter and it unlocks the cart from all the other carts.  Then when you return it you hook it back to the other carts and it gives you your quarter back.
  • I practically need two carts when I go. I'm a grocery store over-achiever and always over stock my cubard. We probably have enough food to last two months. But I live in FL and you never know when a hurricane could swing through so I try to keep extra food for emergencies.

Its to encourage people to return their carts.  You put in a quarter and it unlocks the cart from all the other carts.  Then when you return it you hook it back to the other carts and it gives you your quarter back.
    Wow I've never heard of that. A lot of the stores around here have little mechanisms that will cause the wheels on the cart to lock if you try to take them off the property... or at least they claim they do... could be an urban legend though. 

Wow I've never heard of that. A lot of the stores around here have little mechanisms that will cause the wheels on the cart to lock if you try to take them off the property... or at least they claim they do... could be an urban legend though. 
    Not an urban legend. Before we moved from Dallas, our Kroger put that into place. There were lines marked on the parking lot and if you passed the line, the wheels lock and you can't roll the cart past it. Stupid thing is then you would see carts where people had left them by the lines. Still didn't return to the cart corral.

Jamie

Emily Anne b. 9/10/13

imageimage

Nicoleashlee26