New Jersey Babies

Delivery at Capital Health- Hopewell, NJ

Just wondering your experience!

Re: Delivery at Capital Health- Hopewell, NJ

• I had a great experience. The only thing you need to prepared for is they are "baby friendly, not mommy friendly". So if you plan to use pacifiers or anything else that would be concerned "mommy friendly" you need to bring it. Also, I have heard some nurses are very pro breast feeding. I did not run into this issue, but I know some who have. Good luck!
  • yeah I can kinda tell that...any specifics I should pack? I called and they said they had things like nipple cream, pads, etc

• Loading the player...
  • They had all the diapers, formula and healing needs for me. I would pack pacifiers and clothes for your little one. They supplied clothing for the baby, but it was basically two onsies that were used for the top and bottom. I could not figure out how they did that. I just used what I brought. OH... COFFEE!! I had my LO on Saturday. That nice little cafe in the lobby is closed on the weekends. The coffee from "room service" is hands down the worst I ever had!! I had my husband run to DD!! Snacks. I would pack snacks.

As a side note, make sure to take the hospital tour of the maternity ward. I took both the tour through the hospital and the one through my OB clinic. The hospital tour was much more detailed.

Good luck!

• no pacifiers? I'm surprised that that is not offered. I delivered my first at the Capital Health - Trenton and will be delivering my second at Hopewell. They had pacifiers for my son in Trenton. That's a weird thing for them to not have.

• My sister gave birth there and had a very positive experience. I've also heard in general that the new, niceness is very appealing...memory foam beds and such.

Mommy to my sweet boy, JG, born May 15, 2014

Baby #2 due 4/26/16!

• Hi girls. I will be delivering at capital health as well. Also I am a l&d nurse there. Sorry for the inconvenience of being so baby friendly but we were chosen by the state to be one of the firsts to be strictly baby friendly. In order to keep getting funded we are audited on certain rules such as educating every time we need to send your baby to the nursery or giving u a bottle if ur breast feeding. It sounds ridiculous but the "law makers" believe this will help in breast feeding and bonding. Also yes we don't get supplied with pacifiers bc it's another rule. There are a lot if positives with this including all nurses are very educated in the breast feeding realm and you will bind with ur baby much more after delivery as we will never separate you guys unless medically indicated. Hope this helps and if you have any questions I'll be here to ask. Ps. Coffee shoppe should be open on the weekends too!! I've requested that recently with other employees
  • @teresa8678 I absolutely loved my experience at Capital Health in Hopewell! Everyone we met there was amazing and really helped to make my birth experience a positive one. I was especially happy that all the tests were done in the room, so DS never left my side, and that tests were delayed until a couple hours after birth so we can bond and try to breastfeed immediately. We had some latching issues at first, and I probably wouldn't have made it breastfeeding without the nurses and lactation consultants who came by. I also love how I got follow-up calls to see how breastfeeding was going and even joined the weekly group while out on maternity leave. Anyway, op, it's a great hospital to deliver at, coming from someone who was admitted for pre-term labor and then a couple weeks later to actually have DS.
  • Thanks for posting this info. I guess I'll have to switch my obgyn who is part of the Princeton Healthcare group. Such a shame that they are basically forcing breast feeding down a new mother's throat all the while making her feel guilty for not breast feeding. This should be illegal. anyhow, thanks for the heads up.
  • Does anyone know if they are supportive of natural birth?  I don't want induction or C-section pushed unless absolutely necessary... 

• I'd also like to know more about Capital Health's philosophy. More natural-based or high rates of C/S and induction?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Can you share the names and contact information for you doctors? Looking for an OBGYN that delivers at Capital Health. Thanks!

• @ejoy0101‌ My original ob was Dr Paul Loeb, who ended up joining Lawrenceville OBGYN. They have midwives and ob's, so you have your choice.
  • Great! Thanks @MitsB707. I've read comments that Lawrenceville is a large practice where some women felt like a number. That's mainly why I hadn't called them. Was that your experience? 

Princeton OBGYN and Delaware Valley OBGYN both came highly recommended but all of their doctors deliver exclusively at Princeton Plainsboro :( So I may have to give Lawrenceville a try anyway :)

• @ejoy0101‌ I wasn't fond of the Lawrenceville office, but had a great experience with the Hamilton office. It's much smaller, but I feel like it's run more efficiently. At Lawrenceville, I waited for an hour to be seen after already waiting a half hour in the waiting room. I never had that happen in Hamilton. I only had a chance to meet 2 other doctors besides my original ob, but they were all nice. I also spoke to one on the emergency line, and despite the fact that it was 3am, she was still really nice, listened to my concerns, and then had me come in just to make sure everything was ok. When I went into labor, my son was delivered by an ob I only met once, but she was very calm and basically let me direct my labor and when I pushed. I had a great experience with them overall.
  • @MitsB707 thanks so much for your input. Its really helpful. I'll let you know what I decide. Its all so overwhelming lol

• @ejoy0101‌ Good luck with your search! I completely understand. I got my bfp about 3 months after dh and I closed on our house. We moved to an area where we knew nobody and had no idea what hospitals and doctors were like here. Thankfully we had a great experience. :)
  • @teresa8678 in your experience working at Hopewell, have you ever encountered a surrogate?  Just curious about whether or not they recognize pre-birth orders.  I delivered my own children there but am now carrying for my brother and his wife, so I am trying to anticipate any obstacles.  Thanks!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"