Health & Exercise

gastric bypass moms?

hi! i was just wondering if anyone had to do anything specific with their dietary needs while pregnant after having gastric bypass? i had my bypass in 2004, and am 6wks pregnant with my 1st. thanks!!!

Re: gastric bypass moms?

• I haven't had gatric bypass (considering it after I'm done having kids) but 2 of my friends did and then got pregnant.

1 friend said she had to force herself to eat. Made sure she ate every few hours and concentrated on high protein and calcium - cheese, chicken, etc. She had twins so I know her pregnancy was closely monitored because of that.

My other friend had u/s quite often to measure the baby's growth. She lost weight during the first half of her pregnancy and I think her ob told her to add more calories to her diet in small ways - don't always choose sugar free or low fat foods, eat high protein, etc. At the end of her pg she was a little concerned that her tolerance for some foods increased, especially sugar, and she was able to eat more than pre-pregnancy. She ended up getting a couple scopes when the baby was about 10 mos old to decrease the size of her pouch.

Good luck!

6 year old daughter

Fraternal boys born on May 11, 2013 at 36 weeks 4 days

• I had Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (similar to GB, but they don't do any rerouting of your intestines- just cut your stomach) in April of this year and had lost 80 lbs toward my 100 lb goal pre pregnancy. I am 16 weeks pregnant and so far I have lost 11 lbs since finding out. So far, my OB doesn't seem too concerned, although she has told me to try to add more calories so as to start getting some of that weight back. There is another website (www.obesityhelp.com) that is aimed at WLS patients and they have forums for post-op pregnancy where you can find a lot of helpful info! Good Luck to you!

• Loading the player...
  • thanks so much ladies!!! good luck to you both!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"